Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2015, 08:37 AM   #1
lestx
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11197
TITAN Disc Brake Conversions

We have a 09 3400RL w/ 7000 lbs axles. I would love to upgrade to Disc brakes. Has anyone every used Titan?
Thanks,
Les

lestx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 10:51 AM   #2
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
I used Dexter brake kit from Etrailer.com
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 01:44 PM   #3
lestx
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11197
I ck with Dexter and their pricing was Est. at $3000.00 plus installed.
Also no authorized service company to do the job in my area.
Titan offers a mobile installer base out of OK City. Total cost 2750.00
Old 10-07-2015, 01:59 PM   #4
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
So, I'm questioning if this is really worth $3K to do??? That is a huge outlay of cash and I'm not reading here or anywhere else of rampant brake failures on these things. Are our brakes "state of the art perfect"? No. Do they do the job? Yeah, it seems to me they do.
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 01:59 PM   #5
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
If you happen to be anywhere near Elkhart, IN Mor/ryde does lots of Disc Brake installs in addition to their IS and they offer Kodiak or Dexter Brakes. Their price runs around $2700 to $3000 depending on anything extra they might need to complete the job.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:21 PM   #6
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
We just had the Kodiak brakes along with the IS system and I would do it again in a heart beat. I believe we have 10 times the stopping power over the old brakes. Everything operates so smooth and I know I can stop if needed at those yellow lights. I feel that the safety benefits for my family and for others on the road is worth the cost..
Old 10-07-2015, 04:32 PM   #7
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Yeah I'm with ya on that one Mark, living here on the West coast there are some huge passes and I have never had a problem with the trailer brakes in 8 years of traveling, but what the heck if you got the cash one more thing to make the RV safer going down steep grades is cool but for that cash if you have a diesel get a Exhaust brake and you will not care about getting disc brakes on the trailer or like the Allison trans in Duramaxes you have the grade desend which works great
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mark N.

So, I'm questioning if this is really worth $3K to do??? That is a huge outlay of cash and I'm not reading here or anywhere else of rampant brake failures on these things. Are our brakes "state of the art perfect"? No. Do they do the job? Yeah, it seems to me they do.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:24 PM   #8
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigskyjimmy

Yeah I'm with ya on that one Mark, living here on the West coast there are some huge passes and I have never had a problem with the trailer brakes in 8 years of traveling, but what the heck if you got the cash one more thing to make the RV safer going down steep grades is cool but for that cash if you have a diesel get a Exhaust brake and you will not care about getting disc brakes on the trailer or like the Allison trans in Duramaxes you have the grade desend which works great
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mark N.

Yeah, the exhaust brake on my Cummins is nothing short of amazing! But to put that kind of cash outlay into a trailer, and know absolutely for sure that you'll never get a dime of it back out when you sell or trade just seems a bit out there to me. Of course it all relative I suppose. If the budget allows for it, and you can't come up with a better plan for the $3K, then why the heck not? Right?
Old 10-07-2015, 06:02 PM   #9
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Yep good point about you will never get that money back when you sell or trade the trailer but like ya said It's Les's cash,BUT Les does not say if he has a Diesel maybe he has a Gas motor towing the 09 Monty.......LES????
Old 10-08-2015, 03:41 AM   #10
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
This year I talked with a fellow Montana owner about installing disc brakes but not IS on older Montanas. We had a nice conversation but do I really need that added to my 2006 Montana? Got to check the budget for everything else but I know I will be the only one who cares about it except for the guy who installs it--he gets my money! This is really low on the "Get This Done List" for me. My 2012 Diesel sure handles all my mountain driving well--just came down the pass into Salt Lake City on I-80 going west also all the way across Wyoming--no braking issues.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 04:00 AM   #11
lestx
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11197
Jimmy,
My TV is a 2012 F350 SW 6.7 Diesel. Tow Haul feature uses the transmission to slow things down. I am not for sure if my TV has a exhaust brake.I would love to have the Mor/Ryde IS w/ Disc brakes. Amarillo to Elhart lots of diesel !!! I feel Disc Brakes are a another layer of Safety.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:09 AM   #12
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigskyjimmy

Yep good point about you will never get that money back when you sell or trade the trailer but like ya said It's Les's cash,BUT Les does not say if he has a Diesel maybe he has a Gas motor towing the 09 Monty.......LES????
This for sure wasn't directed at lestx and his own decision. It was about my thoughts of doing this same thing. I was interested myself and just within the past couple weeks talked to a trailer building company here in northern Utah that does this conversion on people's trailers. The technician I talked to about it for a while was straightforward about it: He told me he wouldn't do it personally, that with my diesel and the exhaust brake and my 13.5K lbs. of trailer weight, it just wasn't a smart way to spend $3K. I appreciated his honesty.

I've decided to spend the money (part of it anyway) on a 480W solar system instead, so I can boondock more comfortably. Then, I can take it with me to my next RV when I sell this one. Or, haggle with the new buyer if he/she might wish to buy that system from me. I sure couldn't do that with disc brakes!

I'm hoping by time I buy my next 5'er, whenever that might be, whatever brand that might be, disc brakes will be already on if from the factory, or at least an upgrade option.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:19 AM   #13
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
OK hold the phone: Adding Disc Brakes isn't so much to help desending grades, they are there for the idiot that cuts in front of you or as in our case, come around a curve in Alaska and have a Mountain Goat jump out in front of you, our friends behind us thought for sure it would ge Goat Stew for supper. I still swear that I can stop our whole rig (TV & 18K RV) in a shorter distance than the TV running solo.
Once you have really towed with Disc Brakes you will be hooked and never go back to Drums. If you're mechanically inclined you can get the entire DIY Titan Kit of less than $2K.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:21 AM   #14
robebeckl
Established Member

M.O.C. #12202
I've been in an emergency stop situation. They can't be avoided always. I would like to have the conversion done someday. At 65 mph brake fade happens very quickly with drum brakes. Etrailer has charts to show the difference between the disc and drum. It's significantly better stopping with disc.
robebeckl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:49 AM   #15
Gcasta
Established Member

M.O.C. #14578
I converted to disc brakes last June. Cost was about $1,500 to do myself and did it over the weekend. Reason for me was on my annual wheel inspection found i would need to replace just about everthing on brake assy. The cost to do that vs. replacing with drums again was within reason for me. The stopping difference is amazing and to be able to visually check brake pads and seals without removing tires is a great comfort to me.
Recently got back from a 4,500 mile trip through Canada and bakes worked great with very minimal wear.
Here is a link to my previous post on conversion:
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=65010

Do I ever think I will re-coup the cost to do this? No. But I did it more more my peace of mind and comfort. Most makes changes to our set-ups for comfort and safety, bigger trucks, better tires, etc. i think it all comes down to your peace of mind when traveling down the road on what changes you will do. We travel in theses rigs for relaxing, pleasure and enjoyment and minimizing stress and worry can't be a bad thing.
Gcasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 01:21 PM   #16
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Yep I agree it is a good thing to do for piece of mind and like Michelle & ANN said emergency stops but it would be pretty low on my list of upgrades but if I had cash burning in my pocket sure I would get the Disc Upgrade .. then heck Why not?
Old 10-14-2015, 07:40 AM   #17
rickbecker
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13543
Our rig is a 2013 3150Rl towed with 2013 GMC Duramax, Allison tranny with exhaust brake. While the truck/tranny/exhaust brake works great,of all the money I have spent on the RV, upgrading to disk brakes has by far been my best investment. I estimate my stopping distance has been cut in half and I know for sure that the front of my truck and one large buck are grateful for the safety upgrade!

I did the work myself, so was able to do it for right at $2000 ordering from etrailer.com. If you have to pay to have the work done, you should come in around $3000. In my opinion, this is the most important safety upgrade that you can give yourself - please do it if you can!
rickbecker is offline   Reply With Quote