Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2004, 03:26 PM   #1
Montana_1652
Established Member

M.O.C. #1652
Waxing

I'm a lazy cuss, and I have heard of someone using "mop and Glo" or a similiar household floor wax on their Cougar. Has anyone ever heard of this or amI being bamboozeled ?? Also if this is not an acceptable method what kind (brand) of good wax would the readers recommend ?? I have used "Turtle" wax in past, but leaves green residue when buffing.

Thanx
Ken

Montana_1652 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 03:32 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ken, our current Montana will be two years old next month and has never been hand-waxed. Instead, I generally wash it with Zip Wax. You mix it in water in a bucket, use it to wash the rig, rinse it off, and it leaves a light coat of wax, good enough for a month or two. However, I have a bottle of Meguiar's that I do plan to use on it. Today I spent five hours getting the bugs off the nose, washing the roof and the rest of the Montana, and washing the truck. I plan here soon to try a hand-wax on it. There are lots of good waxes but it always seems Meguiar's gets the biggest hurrahs so that's what I'm going to try. If I get lucky and it rains every day until we leave here then the good old Zip Wax will suffice. Mostly I'd like to get the Meguiar's on the nose to make it easier to get the bugs off.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 03:51 PM   #3
Montana_1652
Established Member

M.O.C. #1652
Thanks Steve and Vicky

Just wondering, I use a different spray on for the nose, it'll let the rain wash the bugs off (no kiddin) next trip out to the 5er I'll make note of what I use and post it, but thanks again for your reply

Ken
Old 06-21-2004, 05:10 PM   #4
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
Like Steve ours was a year old Jan.23. All I have ever used is zip wax. Works for me.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 05:17 PM   #5
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I believe that mop and glow will put a layier of crap over your factory finish it might do more harm than you think, try 303 it looks like Armor-All but it doesn't leave a film on the exterior finish. it also is recomended for Gel Coat finishes, bring out the color again and hold it, Goes on easy and wiped easy. I waxed my rig with wax shop last time damn near died, took two long days.

TT2
Old 06-21-2004, 07:39 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I hand waxed my coach with Meguiar's wax for cars. It was pretty easy going on and for the most part pretty easy getting off. I am really glad that I spent the full day waxing this coach. I have found that the bugs come off with just a little water pressure from my thumb on the front cap. All the dust and bird presents just wash away with again a little thumb over the hose pressure. We had a really hard 2 day rain here last week, and after it was finally over I walked the camp ground to see how the other rv's looked. You could really see the water spots and black stips from the water pouring off the gutters and roof. I had no spots or residue on the coach. Waxing does a world of good for your coach. In my opinion the hand wax does a better job and will last longer. Sure glad now that I spent the time to get it done.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 04:22 AM   #7
Montana_655
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #655
I waxed our new Mountaineer a couple weeks back with a new wax from Meguiars called NXT Generation Tech Wax. Its great stuff dries near clear vs white and wipes off with no effort. Have used Mequiars on our cars for years but am glad my father let me know of this new one prior to doing our trailer as it goes on and comes off even easier than their other waxes. Its available at Walmarts..
Montana_655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 04:57 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Lots of good advice.

Ken, I'll bite. What do you put on the nose?

I've heard a lot about 303 but have yet to find it in a store, just online. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place.

Had a neighbor tell me he uses Protect-All Blue and the bugs wash right off. Haven't found that anywhere, either.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:07 PM   #9
Montana_1652
Established Member

M.O.C. #1652
I use "Protect All" with carnauba wax and it really works, again I thought I was had by the upper lip, but I tried it and I was amazed at how it works. I don't know about the blue part but I bought "Protect All" made by protect all co. and I found it at
you guessed it "Wally World"
and I mean all the bugs I accumulated from Fla. to Mi. nearly all were washed off by a good hard rain, I make sure when I'm going to move it I will wash the rig and apply "protect All" on the nose and then wash nose when I arrive at dest. all bugs wash off.
Ken

01 dodge ram
04 3400RL

Old 06-22-2004, 01:15 PM   #10
Montana_1652
Established Member

M.O.C. #1652
I really want to thank everyone for their input and now I have some ideas to start working with.

Thanks again
Ken

Ken and Karen
01 dodge ram
04 3400RL
Old 06-22-2004, 06:34 PM   #11
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Have fun Ken hope it's a cool day for you.

TT2
Old 06-22-2004, 09:12 PM   #12
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Had a guy tell me today that he uses pledge on the nose of his coach. Just the water coming out of the hose takes all the bugs off. Only bad thing he mentioned is once it rains or you wash the nose, it takes all the pledge away and you have to reapply it. Not water resistant. Just thought I would pass this tip along and see if anyone else has tried it yet.
Old 06-23-2004, 06:55 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Do you know how he applied it? Just spray it on and leave it or did he wipe off the excess. Pledge might be ok just spraying it on and that's not too big a deal to do fairly frequently. I guess it doesn't hurt the decals?
Old 06-24-2004, 09:42 AM   #14
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Steve,
He had said to just spray it on and leave it. Dont wipe any excess off. He said he has been doing this on his coach since 2002 and in my opinion his decals still looked brand new. Did not really seem to effect the decals. I have not tried this yet. Let me know how it works if you do.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:42 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Montana Sky, but I was kinda hoping you'd try it first and let me know how it worked for you. We won't leave here until 7/10 so if I do this I won't know results before then. If the weather cooperates and coincides with one of my energetic days I plan to put the Meguiar's at least on the nose. If I do that I probably won't try the pledge. If not, then I'll try pledge.
Old 07-09-2004, 05:16 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I finally got out and waxed the nose with Meguiar's the other day. Major improvement. It was getting a bit dull. Now I need to do the rear cap, too.

I started waxing the hi-gloss sides but couldn't see any difference at all in looks. If I carefully and slowly ran my fingers across the side I **think** I could feel where it was waxed, but it was such a slight difference I've decided it's not worth the effort to wax the rest of the hi-gloss. If the hi-gloss means I don't have to wax the sides, then I'm glad we got that option! It's still nice and shiny after two years.

Now to do the rear cap. In this site the rear hangs over the back of the pad (wasn't thinking ahead) and the ground is muddy (grass worn away there) from all the rain we've had. So waxing the rear cap will have to wait.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:28 PM   #17
larryngail
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #888
We used (and will continue to use) 303 from top to bottom. Love it....and so does our Montana.
larryngail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 04:34 PM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I hear so much about 303 but have never even seen it in a store. Since we're fulltiming and paying for mail forwarding I don't want to order online unless we'll be someplace long enough to ship it direct. Come to think of it, in a couple of weeks we'll be close to the Camping World at Manassas, VA. Maybe they carry it.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:28 AM   #19
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I am working on mine now. I use Nu-Finish liquid. (Orange plastic bottle). It is readily available, easy to apply, and seems to work really well. It can be applied in sun or shade. Most waxes have to be applied in the shade.

I am planning to apply 303 Aerospace protectant to the nose and black streak zones as well. In Canada, you can buy it at Zeller's which is a discount department store like Target. I would think you could find lots of places in the U.S. Their web site lists dealers, that is how I found out that Zeller's sell it.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 04:53 AM   #20
larryngail
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #888
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

I hear so much about 303 but have never even seen it in a store. Since we're fulltiming and paying for mail forwarding I don't want to order online unless we'll be someplace long enough to ship it direct. Come to think of it, in a couple of weeks we'll be close to the Camping World at Manassas, VA. Maybe they carry it.
Hi Steve...and WELCOME back online

We've seen the 303 at Camping World and Walmart. Yeah, you don't want to pay the extra shipping on it, for sure.
larryngail is offline   Reply With Quote