Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2011, 09:13 AM   #1
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
Diesel Fuel Shortage Getting Worse

Latest on the Diesel Fuel shortage across the nations Heartland.
Diesel Shortage

The Weekenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:47 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I feels like a contrived shortage.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:48 PM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
There always seems to surface yet another reason to increase prices ... usually this time of year it's "we have to start mixing the winter blend". So far ... no diesel shortage in Kansas ... $3.79/gal.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:05 PM   #4
Sky
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9806
We have been paying high prices like that all summer and then recently prices started to come down and the cheapest price you can find is $3.99 a gal. Most
gas stations are $4.09 and above. AND there is no gas shortage at this time in this area that I am aware of. Then again we always seem to pay more in this part
of the country.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:21 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Not around here in Florida..3.70 at walmart with card.3.76 at shell.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:02 PM   #6
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
Sacramento, Ca area diesel $4.27 gal no shortage.

Frank
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:32 PM   #7
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Being from Omaha I have noticed the increase in diesel over the past two weeks (from $3.74-$4.15)! The excuse of high usage by the farmers is definately a lame one! I have only seen ONE farmer out in the field picking corn over the last two weeks! That was today and he only had about five acres left to complete his harvest. Since we came back from the Fall Rally in mid October the fields of corn and soybeans have been harvested completely and most of them were cleared before we got home. All it is, is a way to drive the price up on the diesel so they can rape the over the road drivers and companies(many of the bigger trucking companies have contracts with the oil companies arranged prior to any of this anyway), the railroads(also proir contracts) and they also know there is a bunch of snowbirds headed on their yearly trip down South. The change over for the winter season is not an excuse either. The diesel that comes to the storage facilites is the same diesel that came from the the refineries this summer. The additives are added to the tanks as it comes to the storage facility or when the tanker fills to take it to where we buy the diesel. Why may I ask you is it only in Nebraska, South Dakota and North Dakota? Could the idea of the possible new Keystone Pipeline carrying crude oil from Canada to the refineries in the South be part of it also? There is so much CR-P on the television and radio about how it will ruin the Ogallala Aquafer (sp) here in the Central Plains. To bad the people of the Central Plains are so gullible to believe this stuff! Also the big problem is the State governments that add on so much tax to the fuels that it's definately hard for the local stations to make anything!
OK, I'm off my soapbox!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:35 AM   #8
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rondo

Being from Omaha I have noticed the increase in diesel over the past two weeks (from $3.74-$4.15)! The excuse of high usage by the farmers is definately a lame one! I have only seen ONE farmer out in the field picking corn over the last two weeks! That was today and he only had about five acres left to complete his harvest. Since we came back from the Fall Rally in mid October the fields of corn and soybeans have been harvested completely and most of them were cleared before we got home. All it is, is a way to drive the price up on the diesel so they can rape the over the road drivers and companies(many of the bigger trucking companies have contracts with the oil companies arranged prior to any of this anyway), the railroads(also proir contracts) and they also know there is a bunch of snowbirds headed on their yearly trip down South. The change over for the winter season is not an excuse either. The diesel that comes to the storage facilites is the same diesel that came from the the refineries this summer. The additives are added to the tanks as it comes to the storage facility or when the tanker fills to take it to where we buy the diesel. Why may I ask you is it only in Nebraska, South Dakota and North Dakota? Could the idea of the possible new Keystone Pipeline carrying crude oil from Canada to the refineries in the South be part of it also? There is so much CR-P on the television and radio about how it will ruin the Ogallala Aquafer (sp) here in the Central Plains. To bad the people of the Central Plains are so gullible to believe this stuff! Also the big problem is the State governments that add on so much tax to the fuels that it's definately hard for the local stations to make anything!
OK, I'm off my soapbox!!

Well put Rondo!
Old 11-14-2011, 03:52 AM   #9
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Up in Canada, we also have been dealing with the shortages and price spikes. Many trucking companies are scrambling to secure their daily supply while rationing is common at the pumps and cardlocks. There is always numerous reasons they use to explain? the shortages and pricing with the latest twist being a shortage of hydrogen sulfide. This situation has been ongoing since the fourth week in October and who knows when it will correct itself. The latest price in our area has been 1.27 a litre.

We are not planning to head south so far this winter, but I do wonder how it is or will effect those that are!!!

Now, as far as the Keystone pipeline situation, that just doesn't make any sense to us. We have the oil, we need to sell it for economic reasons, you are our biggest and best trading partner, you need oil AND it will create so may jobs that BOTH countries are desperate for.JMHO Sorry for that brief hijack of your thread Rick.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:09 AM   #10
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Darwin, I totally understand your take on the Keystone Pipeline and agree totally! We just have to many "worry worts" that look at the Alaska spills and other spill that have been in the new that think it will happen! As the latest ad states from one of the Nebraska people that knows the crude oil drilling business and had been drilling here in Nebraska and other areas or the Central Plains--"the crude, even if the line should spring a leak, will never reach the Auquafer because it is not its nature..... It will not be able to go that deep period!" I don't know where the opposition thinks we will get our oil from. Do they think we can "truck" it from the far east and across the oceans??!!?? Duh!!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:14 AM   #11
Lee F.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10754
I'm confused a bit. Deisel in my area has dropped in price from $4.05 to $3.94 in the past week. I asked the station owner and he said it should be dropping a few cents more after his next delivery. This is the first time it's been under $4.00 in a while.
Lee F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:29 AM   #12
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

I feels like a contrived shortage.
Agree....
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:01 PM   #13
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DarMar

Up in Canada, we also have been dealing with the shortages and price spikes. Many trucking companies are scrambling to secure their daily supply while rationing is common at the pumps and cardlocks. There is always numerous reasons they use to explain? the shortages and pricing with the latest twist being a shortage of hydrogen sulphide. This situation has been ongoing since the fourth week in October and who knows when it will correct itself. The latest price in our area has been 1.27 a litre.

We are not planning to head south so far this winter, but I do wonder how it is or will effect those that are!!!

Now, as far as the Keystone pipeline situation, that just doesn't make any sense to us. We have the oil, we need to sell it for economic reasons, you are our biggest and best trading partner, you need oil AND it will create so may jobs that BOTH countries are desperate for.JMHO Sorry for that brief hijack of your thread Rick.
No problem Darwin, I agree totally on the Keystone Pipeline. Enviro wackos are the squeaky wheel that gets the grease. Incidently, diesel has gone up again here in Harvey and is now at $4.23 per gallon.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:04 PM   #14
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Bi product of gas I thought to make gas, isnt diesel scrap. maybe when the war is over and all our service personal return home. so then they wont be using all that war equiptment that needs diesel, then the prices might go down.
4.35 per gal here in sunny Cal.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:30 AM   #15
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I pass by the Flying J on I-75 here in MI. once a week and diesel has went up to $4.19 credit or 4.13 cash over the past two weeks same at Speedway. Flying J was a good place until it merged with Pilot. If you travel out on the back roads you can find diesel i for $3.79 go figure.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:27 AM   #16
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
In our world of Central California there is no shortage of diesel fuel....... Just expensive! Sure hope it goes down soon. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:39 AM   #17
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
I think the simple answer to all this is just this "Cuz they Can"!!!!!

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:10 AM   #18
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
The demand is very high for diesel fuel; more and more large trucks hauling and less rail movement of goods. With gasoline demand is lower as the cars are more efficient getting 25 to 50 mpg comparing to the 70s when cars averaged 12 to 19 mpg. Lots of hybrids showing up which is hard to do with the diesel engine and electricity (very expensive). Interesting how we take this all for granted until there is a shortage and then we say "what am I going to do"??
Up here Suncore a very large company is down till this weekend with a shortage of hydrogen sulfide. Any time one of these large plants go down it greatly affects the Northwest. Eventually we may be all driving vehicles with gas engines again and pulling 16 foot trailers!!! Think of it; diesel could very well be rationed!
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:53 AM   #19
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
I was noticing here in the Indy area that in some places diesel is almost a dollar a gallion more than gas. ???????? For a long time it was just a few cents more.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:01 AM   #20
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Diesel has been more than gas here in westeren Washington for the last several years, and it has been over $4.00 for the last 6 months.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote