Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Long Timers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2010, 12:51 PM   #21
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
The rear picture window with the rocker recliners is great! Also no MH has the closet just inside the entry door. That is just the handiest thing!

camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:41 PM   #22
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
Its all about the slides and feel for the stairs into the bed room for us.It definately feels like there is more room.
sfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:00 PM   #23
wersqu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5683
First let me say you can't get me o ut of my Monty but... If I were into rock climbing with a Jeep, or pulled a boat, 4 wheelers or snow mobiles, and that's what I used the trailer for. To get close to these hobbies I would probably prefer a motor home to pull these items. I don't so I agree with all the above folks!!!
wersqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:02 PM   #24
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
We had considered both very carefully but in the end we realized that it was the after purchase expenses that tipped the scales in favor of a 5th wheel. The drive train maintenance alone would have chewed up a good chunk of change as it would have to be done by a professional. I can do most of the Monty maintenance myself (and there's less of it). Did I mention that we really enjoy our Montana?
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:32 PM   #25
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
We agree with many of the above posts, but the one thing that we found most objectionable with the MHs was that you never seem to leave the vehicle...you drive in it all day and then turn the seats around and sit in it all night. With the fifth wheel, much different feeling. After a long drive, you leave the truck cab and go into your home for the night, not the back of your vehicle.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:40 AM   #26
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Cabin fever would hit us when we had a motor home.
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:45 AM   #27
doofus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10583
I don't know. I like my Monty, but if someone handcuffed me to the steering wheel of a Prevost Country Coach and pointed a gun to my head, I think I'd drive one for a while...
doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:16 AM   #28
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I think the price difference between 80K and 3.5 million is a very convincing argument. Anywhere in that price range AND maintenance and fuel, and not going to MOC rallies.
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:33 AM   #29
doofus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10583
Dave, I agree! If I had $3.5 million in my pocket (burn baby burn!) I'd probably toss the 5er myself...
doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:39 PM   #30
wswebster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1249
Well I guess we are the one of the few ex-5th wheelers. This spring we made the leap. Yes we miss the MOC group, but we wanted a change. We travel alot more now and wanted easier set ups. Our Coach sits in our pole barn for 3 months same as our 5th wheel did. We had 2 HD trucks, only needed 1, I had recently bought a new Traverse and it's a great "Toad". We like to stop at nice rest areas and have lunch, no more running to the cramped camper in the cold and rain, now I can have a hot lunch and not a cold sandwich. We travel with our large dog and we can stop and explore an off site and we Don't worrying about the truck being too hot or too cold for him, just run the generator & he has more room to roam also. Leveling the coach is a 1 button operation and we are not rockin and rollin anymore. No more stairs up a narrow isle to the bedroom & bathroom. Yes I have lost a little counter space but have gained more in other areas. We love all the basement storeage, no it's not all in 1 place but spread out along the entire length of the coach. We now have an even better view going down the road looking through our hugh 1 piece windshield. Yes we will have to renew our license plates every year now and the insurance is about the same as it was for the combination 5th wheel and truck. I have 2 bad shoulders & Bill's shoulders bother him at times & now he's looking at a knee replacement, no more climbing up the truck to release hitch handle or stooping to make the rig level. Another bonus is have our car with us for all the site seeing, we can find a parking space a whole lot easier now. We traveled over 5,000 miles this summer and havn't looked back. As all have stated above it's a personal choice. Maybe another Class A will respond with their view. Take care Stacy
wswebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:20 PM   #31
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

As mentioned I think it would be more of a personal choice. We had 4 different travel trailers and then we went to a class A. I must say we got a bargain on it but it was considered more of an older one at that time (1990 model) than what I was used to. Our trailers we had were much older than that but kept up well. Anyway the 37’ M/H had a lot of problems that we had to deal with. I almost feel like I’m comparing apples to oranges when I think about the problems we had. M/H does definitely have an advantage in some ways with all of the conveniences that come with them. For us it was cumbersome to try and drive it. It was big and it felt like it took way more of the road than I had room for. Nothing ever felt better than when I was towing a pull behind. Now when I got the fifth wheel it was like towing in heaven. There is no comparison to how much better it was and how much easier the towing experience became.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:01 PM   #32
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
As we age it becomes more of a task to set up the 5th wheel and take it down.I can still do it and so can Helen but there will come the day in the not to distant future were it will become to much of a chore. Our next Rv, If there is a next Rv would be a MH. We drove big buses for @ 8 years after we retired school bus and over the road bus. IMO the MH is much easier to maneuver and handle than the truck/5th wheel combo.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:29 PM   #33
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Rich is right. After owning several diesel pushers I found that I was much more rested at the end of the day than I am now. With the diesel truck I'm sitting with my feet straight out in front of me and with the pusher I'm sitting more like a chair.
The M/H had more things to keep me comfortable like air ride suspension and I had a better view of the traffic around me.
If money was not taken into account then I would chose the diesel M/H anyday. Gas class A's are completely different in ride, power, safety (air brakes) and exhaust brake. In gas M/H you have to listen to the motor screeming on the hills.
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:31 PM   #34
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I very much enjoyed reading your post for the perspective it offered. It sounds like you found the right rig for you. I have watched the 1 button leveling on a MH and was at that moment envious of it. I never thought we'd have a beautiful 5ver so a MH in the future? Who knows?!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by wswebster

Well I guess we are the one of the few ex-5th wheelers. This spring we made the leap. Yes we miss the MOC group, but we wanted a change. We travel alot more now and wanted easier set ups. Our Coach sits in our pole barn for 3 months same as our 5th wheel did. We had 2 HD trucks, only needed 1, I had recently bought a new Traverse and it's a great "Toad". We like to stop at nice rest areas and have lunch, no more running to the cramped camper in the cold and rain, now I can have a hot lunch and not a cold sandwich. We travel with our large dog and we can stop and explore an off site and we Don't worrying about the truck being too hot or too cold for him, just run the generator & he has more room to roam also. Leveling the coach is a 1 button operation and we are not rockin and rollin anymore. No more stairs up a narrow isle to the bedroom & bathroom. Yes I have lost a little counter space but have gained more in other areas. We love all the basement storeage, no it's not all in 1 place but spread out along the entire length of the coach. We now have an even better view going down the road looking through our hugh 1 piece windshield. Yes we will have to renew our license plates every year now and the insurance is about the same as it was for the combination 5th wheel and truck. I have 2 bad shoulders & Bill's shoulders bother him at times & now he's looking at a knee replacement, no more climbing up the truck to release hitch handle or stooping to make the rig level. Another bonus is have our car with us for all the site seeing, we can find a parking space a whole lot easier now. We traveled over 5,000 miles this summer and havn't looked back. As all have stated above it's a personal choice. Maybe another Class A will respond with their view. Take care Stacy
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:36 PM   #35
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Let me quickly add this… I believe the fifth wheel is much simpler and easier to set up than when setting up a regular trailer. To me it’s a lot quicker than a trailer with a lot less work. Now a M/H again depending on what you have is just plain nice.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:58 AM   #36
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Let me say again, with LevelUp or Big Foot Levelers, the set up ease and time closely rivals that of motor home. You may not want the expense of that upgrade, but it really changes the game for those experiencing the onset of physical challenges, back issues in particular.

Speaking of set up, I have been watching the motor homes come and go here. I see them laying on their backs on the ground, using long rods, with hooks on the end, to maneuver blocks of wood under the rig because they don't have enough stroke to level. I am on the same kind of terrain and used used 2 2X12 blocks under each of the the front feet, but didn't have to lay on my back to do it. I don't get down and get back up as easily as I once did.

For full timing, the fifth wheel with LevelUp suits us comfortably.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:58 PM   #37
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I’ll take the fifth!
Bill-N-Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:14 PM   #38
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
We too thought about going to a MH from our previous TT, but since we live in the country and need a truck we decided to move up to a 5er instead and fell in love with the Montana. I've added the level-up system to the Monty and with the dual ACs we have just about all the comforts we could want. As for being tired after a day of towing, I think it all depends on the TV, with a dually I'm not as tired or worn out at the end of the day as I was towing a much lighter TT with a 1/2 ton. Like eveyone has said there are pros and cons for either. We just preferred going the 5er route to avoid the reg and insurance for another vehicle.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:27 PM   #39
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
We prefer our 5th wheel at this point; have travelled with the brother in law; he has a 2004 Vectra 40 foot diesel pusher with all the frills and only 16,000 miles on the coach, he just spent $4200 for new rubber, one slide window is leaking and will cost him $1500 plus to replace, wipers are giving problems, and could cost another $1000 plus. Lots of problems with electronics for leveling system plus other elecrical problems that seem to pop up. I like the simple things that I can repair at a reasonable cost and keep moving down the road.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:00 AM   #40
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Okay! The other SOB is checking in.

We had the Montana 3400RL for 1 year with an F350 King Ranch, Long Bed Dually. If a car can fit in a parking spot, I can get the dually in there with several pivot turns. I never wanted for a parking space. However, considering all the setup I had to do with the Montana, and you all know what that is depending on the situation, now I push 3 buttons. One levels, one puts out a 12 foot slide, and one puts out a 23 foot slide. I switch to the MH because of physical challenges. One day I was setting up the Monty in Alabama (hot there) and DW said, "Why don't you get a MH before you have a heart attack." That did it for me. In all honesty, DW likes the kitchen of the Monty better than the SOB. I have to agree that at the end of a driving day I feel a lot more relaxed in the MH than pulling all day. After pushing the 3 buttons I can be set up in 10 minutes or less, that's electric, water, and sewer.

The other benefits are DW can get up and go to the powder room whenever she wants, grab us a snack (small one while driving), the puppy (70 pounds) has a lot more room and loves looking out the front window when we slow down, and our full wrap front window is our picture window. I can provide some pictures of the views we have had at some sites, and while driving (we sit higher). We are 40' long, well actually 39' 3", and 12' 4" high (basement AC). There is plenty of storage space underneath for our desires.

The expenses with a MH are typically higher than those of a 5th wheel. Fuel is compatible as far as I'm concerned. I got 8.5-10 mpg in the F350 when towing, and I get between 8.5-10 and sometimes 11 mpg in the MH.

As has been mentioned, the newer 5er's have the automatic leveling systems and that would help in set up substantially. In the two years I have had the MH, I have had to level with blocks only 3 times. And, I put the wood under the tires and get as close to level as possible, and then maybe a block of wood under the pad. I have never had to get on my back. I use the awning hook to push/pull the wood into place. I have on occasion when setting up on grass placed one 2x10 under the pad(s) to keep from sinking(settle) into the grass.

I like the MH. My wife would prefer to have the Monty back, but not give up the conveniences she has with the MH. Since I'm sitting on my butt, and men's organs are such, I can go for hours without having to go to the BR.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote