Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2007, 04:54 AM   #1
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
Where to run the solar wires

During the summer we park out Monty in Idaho on our lot and dry camp. We have a 05 3400rl that has an on board 5500 Onan, we are running 2 golf cart batteries. I have a 75w siemans solar that I set on the roof and run a wire down the outside and to the batteries. I have a 2nd 75w siemans and was thinking of mounting them on the roof.
What is the best way to run the wires, no more room for an additional batteries. Looking at maybe having an inverter installed also but what size would I need and how much time would I get out of the 2 batteries say to run the TV.
Maybe I should have someone with experience install it.
thanks for any advise
Allen

Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 06:57 AM   #2
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Allen, One guy that I know of, Robbie (simonsrf) has a solar setup - solar panels, inverter and batteries. I think he got his in Oregon. You might PM him if he doesn't come up soon.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 07:06 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I would run the wires to the bathroom ceiling, down the inside of the wall where the breaker box and fuse panels are, that wall is where the panel with switches are located outside the W/D door.
The surround for the exhaust fan can be removed inside the bathroom for fishing wires. You may have to pull the fuse panel and breaker box, pictures of them removed are in my Ozz's mods.
Under the stairs, at the bottom of that wall, the paneling stops short, you may have to break out a little paneling under there for access. Go to Wal*Mart, buy a $10.00 12' Shakespeare fishing pole, it's Fiberglass, you can take it apart and have a wire pulling tool, just use the end 2 pcs.
From the under stair area, you can access the basement with your wires, then up front, or anywhere you need to go. I mounted a 3,000 Watt inverter on the bulkhead wall, it's in my Ozz's mods. You probably don't need a 3,000 watt, I would get a 1500 or 2000 watt, for just two batteries. You can mount a Perko battery switch on the wall there for the inverter also. Google 'It's a 12 volt way of life' one and two, then decide if you want to try it yourself. If you have some doubts, I would have it done by someone ??? who has done it before...correctly.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 07:10 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
A great informative site
Read the part 2 also.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 07:16 AM   #5
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
Thanks for the info. I saw one member here that had the same monty as us and he had a gen and solar plus a whole lot of other goodies on his, now I can't find that post to mail him, but I'm sure he will chime in when he reads this.
thanks again.
Allen
Old 12-23-2007, 09:42 AM   #6
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Allen,

I don't have a 3400, but Ozz is right about where to run the wires. I didn't do the installation, had it done by AM Solar (amsolar.com) in Eugene, OR. They did a terrific job. In my unit, where the slide control, and the fantastic fan controls and the outside lights are controlled, there is a hollow space behind that wall that goes down to the fuse box. On this outside wall, I have mounted the Xantrex battery monitor, the Magnum Inverter controller, and the solar monitor.

We have 6 6-volt AGM batteries that are in the front with the inverter mounted on the bulkhead.

Ozz's site is very informative, you might also try the "education" part of the amsolar.com site.

IMHO, have an experience installer do the job.

Hi Don and Annie!

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 06:30 PM   #7
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Allen: You didn't say it but you do have a panel controller don't you?
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 03:05 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
The wire from our solar panels (4 of them) is run down the refrigerator vent and then through the wall to the inverter and batteries.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 07:15 AM   #9
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
What I have is an ASC Automatic Sequencing Charger controller. What it will handle I don't know. all this is greek to me
1-16 amp charge current 12v 10 amp LVD
Allen