Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2005, 05:12 AM   #1
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Gettin' out of New Orleans!

I hope all MOC members are getting out of the way of Katrina. It has just reached Category 5 and the Mayor of New Orleans has just (10 min ago) just ordered a MANDATORY evacuation of the city. This will be a bad one. It is predicted to still be at Hurricane strength in central Mississippi and still be a major tropical storm when it hits Tennessee. I don't know how good a Monty is in that type of weather, but I don't believe I would try to ride this one out!

Sustained winds at 175 mph with gusts to 215 mph.

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 05:45 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Dave,

Our prayers and best wishes to all those in the path of this bad mistress.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 05:57 AM   #3
Gonfishin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3604
Our thoughts and prayers go out to everyone who has the misfortune of dealing with this storm.
Rick.
Gonfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 06:08 AM   #4
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I'm praying for protection for the people who can't get out of the New Orleans. The Mayor said in a statement that "This storm WILL cause our levy system to fail." and "This is the one we have always worried about." All prayers will help.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:29 AM   #5
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Just how bad is this one? It appears it will be about as bad as a hurricane can be. One commentator on the Weather Channel stated that if the levee system is breached in New Orleans it could take as long as six months to pump all the water out.

There are several refineries in the New Orleans/Baton Rouge area and lots of oil production offshore. These will be shut down and depending upon damage it could be as much as a month to get them back up and running again. Look out tomorrow when crude oil and gasoline/diesel start trading.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 07:55 AM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Those oil rigs are built to withstand a lot of wind ~ not sure of 215 mph gusts though. I have relative and friends who work on those rigs. I'm sure they are all off now. Just when we though gas prices were maybe starting to go down. The authorites have no doubt that the levies will be breached. They are telling people who can't get out to get in a building no lower than the third floor.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:12 AM   #7
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
I heard on the news that they are getting a stadium ready for those that can not get out. Don't know how true that is, but it sounds like this could be the worst that New Orleans has seen.
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 08:33 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Looks like N.O is already getting rain.Wind is at 30MPG Barometer 29.68 that is low.Couple of good site to track the storm.
www.erh.noaa.gov then look for N.O also www.nhc.noaa.gov this one tracks all hurricanes

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 09:28 AM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I watched a video clip of the Mayor's speech this morning. He said that as of noon (CDT) they were opening up the Superdome. He cautioned, however, that the power would eventually go out and the stadium would become a very uncomfortable place with no air conditioners running.