Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2013, 03:00 PM   #1
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
Water Pump

Anticipating the possible freeze I put water in my water tank in case the park water froze.
The temp stayed in the high 30's so there was no freeze, but the parks water system went down so now everybody is out of water.

The water pump was working in the am and this evening there was nothing, no sound no nothing. Found the 15 amp fuse in fuse box blown, replaced it and still nothing. Found the 15 amp fuse on the water pump and it was blown, fixed it and still nothing. The screen is good. Maybe the pump burned up.
Anything else I might check.
I seem to get about 2-3 years on a pump. This is the 4th one on this 05 Monty and it is dated 10-10 so 2 months out of warranty.
Thanks for any fourth coming advice.

Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:52 AM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
do you fulltime in the same spot? If so, it maybe the park water could be too corrosive for the pump. Or maybe you don't use the pump at all and hard water sitting in the pump hardens the seals and ruins the pump. just a couple thoughts.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:06 AM   #3
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
We part time and spend about 4 months down south in the Wickenburg area and then use it from time to time in the summer.
This is the 1st time that the fuses have blown, usually it just pumps less until it quits.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:58 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
You might want to add a small water softener. The water out here in many areas of AZ does have a lot of minerals.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:32 AM   #5
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
There must have been a problem with overheating or something, to originally cause both fuses to burn out, not sure how both could be affected, hard to imagine both going at exactly the same time.

All pumps have a built in pressure switch of some sort, that may be the problem or the motor could simply be burnt out.

Water condition over time might affect the pump but since those parts are seldom metal that should not be a major issue. Some pumps are better than others, the one in my truck camper has lasted 15 years. If you install a new one I would recommend installing a 2 gal pressure tank in the cold water line, this will keep the pump from cycling on and off as frequently when water pressure drops.

I am curious enough I would take the pump out and take it apart where possible and see what I could see. Might not be able to fix it but I like to know why things quit.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:59 AM   #6
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
I don't use our water pump much in our Monte, but for years in our motor yachts we did. Living on board much of the summers we used to only get 2 or 3 years out of a water pump. The last one we purchased for our boat was a quiet high-end, can't recall the brand but I do remember it was around $200 on sale. It lasted much longer than any of the others and came from West Marine.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:10 AM   #7
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
one other thought on the fuse issue. If you want to do a little detective work,look at the wiring leading to the pump and see if maybe a staple went through it at assembly. It may have finally grounded and blew the fuses.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:19 AM   #8
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
Got ahold of Shur-Flo and explained the problem about the pump and that it was 2 months out of warranty.
They gave me a return ref. number an to take the label off the pump, stick it to a piece of paper and mail it in and I should be getting one of the new pumps that have replaced the 5900-0211 pumps.
Can't beat that for customer service
Old 12-12-2013, 09:56 AM   #9
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Allen in MT

Got ahold of Shur-Flo and explained the problem about the pump and that it was 2 months out of warranty.
They gave me a return ref. number an to take the label off the pump, stick it to a piece of paper and mail it in and I should be getting one of the new pumps that have replaced the 5900-0211 pumps.
It don't get any better that that!
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:24 AM   #10
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Allen in MT

You are double blessed, a manufacturer standing behind their product and making sure a customer is happy ...and... you get to keep the old one to play with and see if you can find out what failed. Good to hear.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote