Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2013, 05:16 AM   #1
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
Water/Methanol Injection

The June 2013 issue of Trailer Life has an interesting article on an aftermarket system for water/methanol injection. The article claims that the system helps maintain cooler EGTs under load, increases MPG, gives you more horsepower, etc., etc., etc. The system costs about $530 and takes about 6 hours (@$100 per hour=$600) to install.

Has anyone tried this system (or know of anyone else)? I, for one, would not dare to try something like this until after the warranty on my engine expired...and then only if I hit the PowerBall.

lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:38 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Would be interesting to know if the information came only from the manufacturer, or from some independent testing agency.
I guess I am a skeptic but I often question the validity of the content of some of the articles in Trailer Life, including many of the answers to people's questions for help on certain issues.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:09 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If I remember right water injection devises were being touted as far back as the 70's. Don't ever remember any that weren't deemed a rip off by the real testers.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:50 AM   #4
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Send a message via MSN to grayghost03
Dicks right on the first count, been around along time. Wrong on the second count, water/methanol injection has a bunch of benefits, providing you don't over do it 60/40 blend with some timing changes. If you check the facts, almost all your top performance diesels run the w/m system, it does make power, and at the same time keeps the EGT in check, drag racers, sled pullers and such use it big time. As far as a light in the pants trailer pulling truck, which is what 99% of us use ours for, straight water injection will help the EGT. But we most likely don't actually need it. Systems are an easy install for mechanically inclined people. But you would need to retune the timing. And there is that pesky thing "warranty". When your dealing with these modification, the dyno don't lie. Also as with any tune, the weak leak on all these stock trucks are the transmissions. Power is great as long as your tranny can dependably handle it. A really good solid transmission that will handle the extra HP/Torque is only about $6000 plus your core. For the time being I think I am going to keep this new one stock for a year or so(maybe forever) But we will continue to play with our other trucks.
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:09 PM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I'm all for more power but not water meth injection. This is not good for your engine. I understand it is very bad for the valve stems. Snow performance makes one but I don't know of anyone who uses one on a street truck.
What you haft to remember is you don't haft to be an expert or even know what you are talking about to wright for almost any magazine.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:07 PM   #6
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Send a message via MSN to grayghost03
Banks, AEM, Snow, many others build and sell kits, read about problems with the Ford engines having problems (6.4L) I think, with intake valves stem suffering from wear due to meth washing oil off of stem and wearing seal. Never have seen the problem personally. Most system around here (many on street trucks-although modified street trucks) are Banks and AEM. These kits are fairly cheap, but you have to remember its another fluid tank to fill. A lot of the guys use window shield washer fluid, its about a 60/40 blend, so no problem getting it. I just don't see a benefit for normal trailering usage. I can see the benefits of lower EGT's but most newer trucks will defuel when the EGT's get high enough to effect the life of the engine.
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:47 AM   #7
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

The aviation industry has been using it since before WW II. I have used it for every take off in the DC-6 a 4-engine freighter.

The water is what gives you the most benefit. It cools the combustion chamber so you can operate at higher BMEP.

While I always thought the Methanol gave you some benefit they taught us in training that the primary purpose of the Methanol was to keep the water from freezing.

The water injection for the DC-6 changed the engine HP from 2,400 each to 2,500 each for take off. There was a time limit of 5 minutes. I think this was more to keep from running out if ADI (water & Methanol) fluid than anything else.

When you all talk about the racing industry remember those guys consider an engine that runes more than a few hours without some king of mechanical failure a good engine. The drag racers seldom get more than 3 to 4 runs out of the very high performance engines.

My qualifications for making these statements as follows. Besides my DC-6/7 type rating and A&P / IA mechanics license I am also an ASE Master Machinist.

Now the disclaimer. My information is from memory and all of that was 30 years ago.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:19 AM   #8
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
I see no need for any modifications for my 6.7 diesel. It runs great as designed.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:36 PM   #9
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Same here. I couldn't justify the expense or the potential engine problems.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 1retired06

I see no need for any modifications for my 6.7 diesel. It runs great as designed.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:24 PM   #10
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
Phil P's memory isn't faulty. I remember B-52's (D, G, & H models) as well as KC-135s using injection during takeoff. We could always tell when the injection began due to the black smoke from the engines. Let's see, the B-52 has been around since 1954 so this technology is definitely not new.

My Cummins puts out enough torque to get me over the Sierra's without any problems. So, if it ain't broke, I ain't gonna fix it.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote