Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2009, 02:39 PM   #1
Rescue 1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6113
superglide idea

I have an idea for a modification to Superglide hitches.

Long bed truck owners (and some who are willing to risk it) without sliding hitches have the option to use a white plate above the fifth wheel below the pin box. I think it's made of teflon. Anyway its supposed to be able to be used instead of greasing the hitch all the time.

Those of use with Superglide hitches are required to lubricate the way tubes on our hitches to avoid damage. This is usually a pretty messy ordeal and seems pretty inefficient. Why couldn't we install two pieces of the same "teflon" stuff on top of the way tubes? That would eliminate the need for the greasy mess.

I'm sure someone has had to have thought of this before. Any reason why it wouldn't work?

Rescue 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:50 PM   #2
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Pull-rite has a black spray to spray the tubes as they don't want grease on them ...sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:54 PM   #3
Rescue 1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6113
I tried a black graphite spray once. I had read on here that is what is in their can. Needless to say I went back to greasing. It seemed that the spray didn't do much.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:39 AM   #4
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
I have converted to the Slip Plate graphite spray and so far so good. It protected the way tubes for the whole season last year with only a few touch ups along the way. We are basically weekenders so the hitch doesn't get the use you full timers subject them to but I like the spray on graphite. I think that like any job, preperation is 90% of the job and getting the way tubes really clean before using the graphite makes a huge difference. I used spray brake cleaning solvent to get all the old grease off the tubes.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:32 AM   #5
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Jeff, Pete Hanson has the SuperGlide maintenance down very well and it is what I follow as to disassembling, cleaning and spraying with SlipPlate. It lasts and any noticeable wear on the tubes can easily be reinforced or touched up with spraying. To me the wet lube process was messier and collected everything in my truck bed but trees! It's really a matter of choice I guess and as Sailer indicated Pullrite does prefer the dry graphite application.

I like your idea and maybe you should send it to Pulliam/Pullrite and see if they're interested.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:20 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I've had my SuperGlide since 03. Used the white grease for years, what a mess. PullRite gave me my first can of Slip Plate 2 years ago and ever since it's been Slip Plate for me. No more greasy mess. I also use it on the slide rails as well. No greasy mess there either.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:35 PM   #7
Rescue 1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6113
I agree that 90% of the work is in preperation. I've disassembled and cleaned my hitch a few times. All I was saying is that when I used the spray it didn't seem to last very long before I could see the metal on the way tubes. We're in the process of plannig a trip to Ames, Iowa and I have disassembled the hitch again in anticapation of lubing it for the trip. My thinking is to add the telfon to the way tube and then there would be no need for the spray or grease.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:02 PM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
The Slip Plate may seem to have worn off but it is still there. 2500 to 3000 miles of towing is about when I lightly re-apply. Merely hose the way bars down to remove any dirt and re-spray. Every fall I remove the hitch for the winter and give it a good cleaning. A lot simplier than cleaning a greasy mess.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 01:46 AM   #9
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
Sounds like a great product. I went to slipplate.com and found several formulas. Then I went to Pullrite.com and couldn't find reference to slipplate. Which formula No. 1, 3, 4, 9 does Pullrite recommend? Is there a good source for the product? Getting away from cleaning and greasing will be a nice change. Certainly worth a try.
Thanks,
John
WorkerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 05:37 AM   #10
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
John (WorkerB)

If you click on the item below it will take you to a website where you can purchase the product. I believe the shipping and handling is free. There maybe other websites but this one seems to be the least expensive. I keep two cans on hand at all times. Note too the 330403 number when purchasing from any site. I have no interest in any of these products or websites. Good Luck. FYI.

SlipPlate Dry Lubricant
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:15 AM   #11
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
Dennis,
My SlipPlate will ship today. Thank You!
John
WorkerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:49 PM   #12
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Guess I'd better order some too. My new SuperGlide was shipped without Slip Plate. A caution attached to the hitch states: "Effective April 2008, your Supergildes way tubes have been coated with Slip Plate to provide lubrication for one trip only."

"You will need to continue using either a graphite base lubricant or a medium duty grease....to avoid galling. When using Slip Plate, it is necessary to apply a coating before each trip. Additional applications may be needed while traveling."

I wonder if Lock Ease would substitue as it's a graphite lubricant and easily available?

Don
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:50 PM   #13
Rescue 1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6113
I just cleaned the hitch tonight and applied Mac's Dry Graphite Film Lubricant from NAPA. I'd still like to try the telfon idea but for now I'm back with the dry lube. (sounds like an oxymoron...dry lube....)

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPage...Graphite+Based
Old 05-09-2009, 09:28 AM   #14
billben1
Established Member

M.O.C. #8989
I vote for Slpi Plate...No mess..not exactally a dry lube...More like a paint with embeded graphite...You do need to clean the hitch real well before coating...Have been using it for several months now and I am really satisfied....

Bill
billben1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:12 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm planning to stip the grease off our superglide and go to the slip plate. Every report I have heard has been favorable.

I do like your idea of a permanent type lubricant, like the teflon disk material. You might go to the pullrite site and make that suggestion!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote