Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2007, 03:20 PM   #1
wegriffin
Established Member

M.O.C. #7411
Satellite Receiver connection

I did a search but could not find the info I was looking for. We will begin camping a lot next year and I'm going to subscribe to a satellite company like Direct or Dish. If I connect the satellite cable to the camper's satellite connection (outside), do I have to do anything concerning the internal connections like the amplifier connection, etc.? Is there a selector switch somewhere to change so as not to have interference with/from the amplified antenna? Any assistance/suggestions would be appreciated.

Walter

wegriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 03:36 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Walter,

If the connection is truly a satellite connection then the only thing you have to do is connect the dish cable and make sure the amplifier is turned off. The on/off switch for my amp is located on the faceplate of the amp. It is just a little push button thing. Of course you'll have to make sure your receiver is connected to the incoming sat cable and to the television.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 03:52 PM   #3
wegriffin
Established Member

M.O.C. #7411
Dennis,

Thanks for the prompt response. I'll give that a try. The amp switch you describe is the same as mine. I had a Terry a few years ago and there was a "sat/ant" switch near the amplifier, but I could not find anything like that around the amplifier in my camper. As usual, the best answers can be found right here from experienced campers. Thanks again.

Walter

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HamRad

Walter,

If the connection is truly a satellite connection then the only thing you have to do is connect the dish cable and make sure the amplifier is turned off. The on/off switch for my amp is located on the faceplate of the amp. It is just a little push button thing. Of course you'll have to make sure your receiver is connected to the incoming sat cable and to the television.

Dennis
Old 12-17-2007, 03:53 PM   #4
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
It is going to depend a bit on what year your Montana is. There are some variations in the way they are wired. My '05 had a "cable" connection, but it seemed to work fine with satellite. I have since added a dedicated satellite connection because we sometimes have both sat. and cable.
In ours, the antenna is a separate feed, so I don't think you have to turn off the ant. amp, in fact we can choose from all three sources.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 01:51 AM   #5
wegriffin
Established Member

M.O.C. #7411
Thanks for the info....

Walter