Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2005, 09:30 AM   #1
Montana_3804

M.O.C. #3804
Freezer Vent

Need your advice on this one.
The side of our 5thwheel where the vents for the freezer/refrigerator are located is hit by the sun hard from Midday through afternoon hours. Is it okay to install an awning above the freezer vent area to shade it? Or would that have an adverse effect. Does direct sunlight and heat like that affect the productivity of the freezer component, or ruin it? Does it need to be left unshaded so it operates properly? I thought I read someplace that if that area is hit by the heat from the sun it will burn out the system? Please, enlighten me, soon!!
We have 37' 2004 Big Sky
Thanks.

Montana_3804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 09:57 AM   #2
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
Adding a shade of some sort shouldn't reduce the operational efficiency as long as you don't interfere with the movement of air. In almost every case (RV or otherwise), a venting system is used to maximize air flow to a component that gets warmer during operation. As such, some sort of awning should assist in keeping the area cooler during these periods of direct sunlight. Our plastic venting cover is on the back of the 5er and takes a half day of direct sunlight (morning) as does yours (afternoon). We have had no issues with the operation or the temperatures in our frige and freezer (no perceived variations). As there is often no existing harware (mounting rails or brackets) near the vent areas on the lower parts of the 5ers, I would definitely investigate the cost involved to add an awning and all hardware AND the potential for structural damage before installing said awning. A Keystone rep could probably tell you if there were any structural issues at hand (and if there is any effect on the unit due to direct sunlight in the first place).

You may also want to check a local hardware or A/C shop to see if they have some sort of plastic vent cover that is light enough to install with Velcro (but has PLENTY of holes or slots for good air movement). This could be velcro-ed in place when necessary and removed when travelling or in a park where the area takes no direct sunlight. Regardless of which way you go (if you find that any of these are even necessary), keep in mind that air flow is paramount.
Montana_2779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 01:10 AM   #3
On The Road Again
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1725
I have had the same concerns about the hot sun causing the operation of my fridge to be less than expected, however, that hasn't been the case so far.
Last summer I had window shades installed on my 2 living room windows and 2 bedroom windows to help reduce the heat buildup in our Monty. At the time I asked the installer, who only does awning repair and installation, his thoughts about a window awning over the fridge side of my slideout and he said he did not recommend it since it "may" restrict the air flow too much to both vents to the fridge. Surely he could have installed them, however, since I knew he was a reputable installer he gave me an honest answer.
I guess the one most important question is...has the heat from the sun reduced the effient operation of your fridge ?
On The Road Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 05:16 AM   #4
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Their is a kit to add cooling fan for the fridge themostatic controlled should help your problem
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 12:02 PM   #5
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
My 3280 came with the fan installed in the back of the refrig.. It comes on it the temp reaches 105 and as soon as it is cooled the area it cuts off.
I think it had to be there because there is not a roof vent.
Check yours and see if you have one.
Open the bottom vent door and look up through the back fins. The fan is about 4"x4".
Radio shack has the same fans.
I bought a smaller model and installed inside the frig. to keep the air moving and it works great to keep the inside a even temp top to bottom.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote