Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2004, 02:40 PM   #1
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
"The Story of Veterans Day"

The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), The History Channel and the Department of Education have produced a documentary to educate our nation on the meaning of Veterans Day and the sacrifices of America's veterans.
The 30-minute program, which examines the meaning and origin of Veterans Day, will air nationally on Thursday, Nov. 11, on the History Channel at 8 a.m. and 2 p.m. ET/PT.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 03:35 PM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Glenn,

You may also be interested in this site on the Canadian "Remembrance Day". http://canada.kos.net/remembrance.html

Our mint has issued a new 25 cent coin with a red poppy at its centre in honour of Canadian veterans. http://www.mint.ca/en/catalogue/products/626344.htm
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 05:20 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Here's a little bit of trivia for you - Veteran's Day first was observed in Emporia, KS, where I got some of my education. Here's an excerpt from an article. The "holiday" referred to was Armistice Day.

In 1953, townspeople in Emporia, Kansas called the holiday Veterans Day in gratitude to the veterans in their town. Soon after, Congress passed a bill introduced by a Kansas congressman renaming the federal holiday to Veterans Day. Beginning in 1954, the United States designated November 11 as Veterans Day to honor veterans of all U.S. wars. 1971 President Nixon declared it a federal holiday on the second Monday in November.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 05:22 PM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Thanks Glen,
Veterans Day is often misunderstood. It is to honor all veterans, dead or alive. It is a small THANK YOU for what you/they did for our country. I am the proud daughter, daughter-in-law, mother, sister, cousin, and neice of veterans. My father and father in law are buried at the National Cementary in Riverside CA. Daddy was a Lt. Colonel in the Army. Served in North Africa and Italy during WWII. My cousin's on just returned from his second tour in Iraq. Safe. A Marine and proud to do what he has been doing.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 07:13 PM   #5
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Thanks Parrothead, My father is also buried in Riverside, California in the National Cementary. I am very greatful for all those veterans who served from wars in the past. As a retired USAF veteran I served in Viet Nam. I was very greatful to return home to my family. I wish all veterans past and present God speed. Happyrving.....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 03:20 AM   #6
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
Roy is a USAF veteran of the Vietnam era but only got as close as Japan and Taiwan in 1966. He has never had this day off.

My father served in Army Air Corps in WW II in North Africa and Italy. I was born a year after he returned home.

toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 03:49 AM   #7
skyguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #940
Send a message via AIM to skyguy
I proudly salute all of those who did get an opportunity to serve out country. I was close, but due to the downsizing in VietNam, many ROTC officers were given 90 day s of enlistment, then off to the Reserve.

My Dad was an Engineer, 28 days as a Major before being promoted to Lt. Colonel. His Engineer outfit was first into Berchtesgarden (no Hitler) and often recalled the opportunities to go around the local area in one of Hitler's MG's.
skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 04:08 AM   #8
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Many thanks to all those who have served and all those who have waited for them to come home!! Bill's family has served in every American conflict since 16-something when they first arrived on these shores right through to his grandfather an admiral, brothers AF and Marine pilots and nieces and nephews as marines. Pat's Dad served as a mapmaker in the tank corps in Belgium in WWII. Her mother was in the Navy and her grandfather invented the individual coding machines used by Army radio operators. Bill was 4F (nobody wants an amputee in the service for obvious reasons) so our military experience is in supporting our AF pilot son-in-law and his friends. They are a wonderful group of
young men and women doing their best in difficult times just as all their predecessors have done their best in difficult times. Our nation is truly blessed to have a long history of such devoted citizens.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 05:59 AM   #9
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
A bit of local news here in southern Oregon on this day. Seems one of the local towns went out this morning to put up the flags as they normally do on this holiday and others, and someone had filled in all the flag poles with cement. By the time this made the talk radio circuit this morning they ended up having volunteers of manpower and equipment to fix the situation and have the flags up by noon. The ones who filled in the flag poles underestimated the spirit of the veterans and others who honor them.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 06:04 AM   #10
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
As the proud parents of two who are currently serving as Tech. Sgts. in the USAF, we send our sincere appreciation to those others who are currently serving or have in the past.
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 02:01 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm also a vietnam-era vet but never got 'over there'. My father is a vet (WWII) and two of our children are vets. Vicki's a Navy brat. My father was in the lagoon at Tarawa on a suicide mission. Vicki's dad is one of those dots jumping off the USS Lexington as it's going down in the Coral Sea in WWII. It's a pretty famous picture. Both our fathers survived the war. I never got farther than Pearl Harbor.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote