Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Regular maintenance is A must!

Took the great white to the dealership yesterday for normal maintenance; oil change, fuel filters, check A/C, Transmission flush, front end check, etc… Indeed, it was quite a list I gave them.

After sitting there for half the day I found out I had to leave it overnight. Not complaining just stating the facts. (I wasn’t bored, HJK helped pass the time in “words with friends” using the iphone.) Anyway, sometimes things need to be fixed and they can really pile up on you if you’re not careful.

All 4 rotors & brakes, 1 caliper and the other maintenance that I had them do while they had it, caught up to me in the tune of almost 2K. Wow! Again, I’m not complaining, just glad we didn’t have any trouble while we were gone. With the Great White running as good as it was; it was easy to neglect the little things.

We had just got back from a great weekend of camping. We traveled approximately 2-3 hundred miles overall, without any trouble.

Just thought it would be a good reminder for us all as to how easy the little things can catch up with us!

Old 09-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Cost of normal things is gone way up. Took our Dodge in for it's 30,000 mile checkup and since we tow a heavy load a lot of other things are recommended than normal. Sill, nothing wrong and the bill was $800.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:47 PM   #3
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Regular maintenance, when not done regularly, can be expensive. Our TV, a 2007 GMC Sierra, gets regular checkups so we can avoid huge repair bills. But, since we are closing on 100,000 miles, meaning our warranty will expire, I wonder what else I should be looking at. Any suggestions?
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:50 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
It's a whole lot nicer to be able to be parked with the rig when you take the tow vehicle in for maintenance than to be "parked" alongside the highway with the hood raised up. I for one, am much more at ease shelling out a bunch of money for maintenance than I am for repairs found upon breakdown. Spending four hours along I-44 in 112° heat waiting for a tow truck is not my idea of fun. But that's another story.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:59 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Being in the repair business, I agree with keeping up on it.
Michael, I suggest getting the owners manual out, they have a listing of suggested items for your vehicle at every mileage.
How often do folks change the air filter? Mine is around $100.. yikes!
I have read that you just keep an eye on the restriction indicator.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:19 AM   #6
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Like the old fram ad, pay me now or pay me later.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:59 AM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Just to make sure the dealer does everything they should and because we may not be near our "home" dealer when it needs something, I took a rainy afternoon and took the part of the owners manual that applies to our specific truck and converted it to an Excel spread sheet. I'm not handy enough to do anything myself on this new truck, imagine my surprise when the power steering quit and I looked for the fluid reservoir on a truck that shares the fluid with the brakes, so I follow the book to the letter except when even I know better. Cost or not I've had them change an air filter early when we spent the day in the dust storm at white sands.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:26 AM   #8
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I'm a strong supporter of preventive maintenance but .... On a note of warning as I've experienced this more than I'd hoped to ... it's just amazing in today's world what a "stealership", quick lube, or tire store can "find" that is just nearly beyond supposed repair ... If you are knowledgable of what they say is at issue make them show you before you open your wallet. I know several of you think I'm always crying "wolf" ... being in the maintenance world today, it just saddens me how much people get ripped and I mean ripped just because the store knows they won't be challenged.
Stepping away from the podium ...............
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:41 AM   #9
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I agree with what you are saying dieselguy. There might be places like that and that’s why I think it’s good to get to know them where you take your vehicle for service. We do need to keep a watchful eye on things. I also believe you have to build a trust with them.
Bill-N-Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:36 AM   #10
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
Ozz, do you have a special air filter (aka K&N or an AirRaid) on your truck?? The Ford factory filter is "only" $65.89...
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:49 AM   #11
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Cost and convenience are the two main reason why I do my own maintenance. Plus the fact I know what I'm getting for my money.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:54 AM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Parts Ed

Ozz, do you have a special air filter (aka K&N or an AirRaid) on your truck?? The Ford factory filter is "only" $65.89...
Oh, that is a retail price I was quoted.
Thanks for checking on it.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:03 AM   #13
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

Cost and convenience are the two main reason why I do my own maintenance. Plus the fact I know what I'm getting for my money.
Same here. Plus if something is screwed up, I know right where to find the guy that did it.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:12 AM   #14
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
x3 Dieselguy
As a former GM dealership and before that independant tech, I can say I have seen many a repair estimate sent up to the service writer that had many unnecesary items on it(though I never did). My philosophy has always been I make a paycheck repairing cars, not by "upselling" unneeded work. The bottom line-the fault comes back on the tech in most cases. Most but not all service writers have never "wrenched" and couldn't fix a sandwich if they had to.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:05 PM   #15
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Dieselguy, I know what you mean. Twice I went to Jiffy Lube for an oil change and they recommended other maintenance than what I went in for. Both times I went to someone else and they said Jiffy Lube's recommendations were not needed. Needless to say I have not gone back to them again and never will.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:14 PM   #16
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dieselguy

I'm a strong supporter of preventive maintenance but .... On a note of warning as I've experienced this more than I'd hoped to ... it's just amazing in today's world what a "stealership", quick lube, or tire store can "find" that is just nearly beyond supposed repair ... If you are knowledgable of what they say is at issue make them show you before you open your wallet. I know several of you think I'm always crying "wolf" ... being in the maintenance world today, it just saddens me how much people get ripped and I mean ripped just because the store knows they won't be challenged.
Stepping away from the podium ...............
I guess I've just been lucky or the good Lord is watching over me because the absolute only place I've ever gone to have any work done where it happened to me is Jiffy Lube. They will always say your wiper blades are bad. This was back in the early '90s just before I retired. Well, I had just replaced the blades two days before going into their place to get my oil changed -- they never saw me again nor will they ever. I go to places where I can put my trust. There's only been one other place I won't go back to and that was because of shoddy workmanship and lack of guts to stand behind their work.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:48 AM   #17
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I see nothing wrong with the fast-oil change places. I think it is a good business model. As in ALL businesses, there are well-run ones and not-so-well-run stores. For a basic oil and filter change, I have always gone to a fast oil change place. I told the local manager if he would enter in a reoccurring 'Coupon' in the computer for my vehicle, I would always come to his store. he did, so I have made his store the go-to store now. I have seen different managers come and go there, the guys are always polite and do suggest wiper blades and premium oil. I wouldn't respect their business ability unless they did. Up-selling is just good business. I just politely decline and all is good. The expensive $95.00 air filter was at Jiffy Lube. I knew I could get it cheaper, so I said no thanks. I got it for $68.00 at a local parts store after telling them I saw it on the Internet cheaper.. (Thanks Parts Ed.)
For fuel filter and a little more involved service, I go to the Ford dealer I bought my truck at. On the road, same deal, but any Ford dealer that is in the town.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:14 AM   #18
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
They must love to see you coming.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bill-N-Donna

Took the great white to the dealership yesterday for normal maintenance; oil change, fuel filters, check A/C, Transmission flush, front end check, etc… Indeed, it was quite a list I gave them.

After sitting there for half the day I found out I had to leave it overnight. Not complaining just stating the facts. (I wasn’t bored, HJK helped pass the time in “words with friends” using the iphone.) Anyway, sometimes things need to be fixed and they can really pile up on you if you’re not careful.

All 4 rotors & brakes, 1 caliper and the other maintenance that I had them do while they had it, caught up to me in the tune of almost 2K. Wow! Again, I’m not complaining, just glad we didn’t have any trouble while we were gone. With the Great White running as good as it was; it was easy to neglect the little things.

We had just got back from a great weekend of camping. We traveled approximately 2-3 hundred miles overall, without any trouble.

Just thought it would be a good reminder for us all as to how easy the little things can catch up with us!
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote