Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2010, 09:35 AM   #1
pathfinder
Established Member

M.O.C. #10217
Dodge 3500

Yikes, this morning we were looking at a Ford 6.4 and this afternoon at a Dodge 3500. I am so confused. We are leaning toward the Dodge. What difference in pulling do you find between a 3500 and 2500? What do you love , like, hate, mileage? Thanks Pathfinder's confused wife

pathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 12:44 PM   #2
LarryMP

M.O.C. #7068
I have a dodge 3500, an 05, and the cummins is great, I get about 12 mpg, I think the main advantage of the 3500 over the 2500 is handling the tongue weight, I have a 5th wheel and this is important,,, The dodge should be less expensive too, mine is 2 wheel drive
LarryMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:19 PM   #3
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pathfinder

Yikes, this morning we were looking at a Ford 6.4 and this afternoon at a Dodge 3500. I am so confused. We are leaning toward the Dodge. What difference in pulling do you find between a 3500 and 2500? What do you love , like, hate, mileage? Thanks Pathfinder's confused wife
DO NOT even consider "pulling." They will have the same drive trains and pull the same. You need the 3500 to carry the heavy pin weight of the 5th wheel...the 3500 can handle it and remain within specs, the 2500 cannot. Look at the Tire and Loading Information sticker on the frame on the driver's side. It will tell you the cargo capacity of the truck. That cargo capacity includes everything you will put in the truck from the pin weight to the weight of the hitch, passengers, tools, pets, extra fuel, etc.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:44 PM   #4
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
You will read a lot of differant opinions as to what he or him have and use. the pin weight on a Monty is a lot of weight, and having a 3/4 ton truck or a 1 ton truck could make the differance in stability and stopping power they all have the same power train but some will have differant gear ratio's some high and low. it does not matter weather it is a ford, dodge, of gm product it will be the same for all when it comes to pulling your monty, I prefer the 1 ton with duel rear wheels others dont. thats my opinion, and comment
Old 05-29-2010, 06:04 PM   #5
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
You didn't say if the 3500 was a single rear wheel or a duallie. You need to know that a duallie gives a rougher ride because the extra wheels will hit bumps that you can miss with a single. As others have stated the trucks are all close as far as power and mileage but the 3500 is rated to carry more weight.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:39 AM   #6
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
Wantded Ford, but the Dodge was cheaper.best buy I now have 95,000on my 04 diesel and was best investment we made
bnc
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:11 AM   #7
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
All three will do the job. Get the dually, you'll be glad you did, it can carry the load.
billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:24 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
All three will do the job. get whatever feels right to you. These Montana's are heavy and the dually is a good choice.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:31 PM   #9
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
I went for Dodge as the Cummins Diesel can't be beat and the "TurboDiesel Register" (TDR) club provides the best owners club that provides so much direct assistance/aid to members, some of which I have personally experienced.
I discovered this all on my own while researching which Tow Vehicle to procure back in 2007. Prior to that I had no experience or preference.
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:38 PM   #10
2Wanderers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9998
We picked up our 2010 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW at the end of Feb and love it. Have put over 6,000 miles on it, most of those towing our Montana Mountaineer. 11.3 mpg towing and 18 mpg not towing. Tow haul mode and engine brake do the job and we feel very good about our choice in Cummins. At least we don't have to be seeking out urea to go with the fuel. Didn't want the extra bulk of the duallys or the length and are quite happy with the short bed and a slider. Had to use the slider once. You will appreciate the SRW and shorter wheelbase when you get to your various destinations.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:54 PM   #11
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I traded my Duramax for a new 6.4L Powerstroke and have not been very happy with my decision. I would suggest going with the Cummins Dodge in a 3500.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:04 AM   #12
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
As a current Dodge owner mine has been in the shop many times. Cummins/Dodge did a poor job on the 6.7. The most recent bit of good news is the recommended EGR cleaning that is supposed to take place at 65,000. I was quoted 750.00 from the dealer. The small repair shops never heard of this although it does say so in the manual that it should be done. To me that is too much to have to do to a diesel at 70,000 miles. I bought my truck in 07 and one of the claims was it meets 2010 emission standards. Big deal. My 04 cummins ran great for 65,000 plus miles. Nothing but fluid and filter changes. This week the 07 was back again for a loud whistling noise. The EGR cooler came loose. They are killing us with this emissions stuff. I would not buy another Chrysler\Cummins product. I feel I was ripped off on quality.

Also keep in mind Ford took no bailout money. That for me is enough reason to go for the Ford everything being equal. They closed quite a few Chrysler dealers who were much better at service than whats left. Your choices for service on the Dodge are not what they used to be. All the Chrysler dealers in outlying areas (where most camp) were closed around here. That would result in a very high tow bill to get to the "closest" dealer.
mtpocket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:21 AM   #13
priceml
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #183
Send a message via ICQ to priceml Send a message via AIM to priceml
As far as GM & Chyrsler taking bailout money I think we are all old enough to remember this.
A Savage Factory

An Eyewitness to the Auto Industry's Self Destruction

HomeAbout the BookSubscribe to feed.Ford Got The Largest Government Bailout In History
May 16, 2009 in Uncategorized

Ford Motor Company brags about not taking a government bailout. But this is as deceptive as their advertising about “good quality.” Ford had quality that was an international disgrace. They hired Dr. W . Edwards Deming, a renowned quality expert to help them build quality cars. But he walked out in disgust and called top management at Ford “the worst he had ever seen.”

Then Ford paid Toyota consultants to advise them on building quality vehicles. But this took time. Years, in fact. People were being burned to death in rear end collisions in Fords. People were being run over by defective Ford transmissions. American car buyers were abandoning Ford in droves to purchase reliable, quality cars, such as Toyotas, Hondas, and VWs. Ford showrooms were empty, they were packed with inventory they could not sell, and Toyota and VW dealers were simply taking orders. At one point there was a two month wait to buy a VW. Ford Motor Company became the only corporation in history to be charged with reckless homicide.

Then the government issued the largest recall in automotive history to Ford Motor Company, recalling 23,000,000 vehicles for defective transmissions that killed 200 people and injured more than 1400. We were just pulling out of a severe recession, and President Reagan had just been sworn in.

The CEO of Ford went to Reagan and said if you make us recall virtually every Ford on the road, we will have to file bankruptcy. No company can withstand the recall and repair of 23,000,000 vehicles.

President Reagan did not want to go down in history as the president who took down Ford Motor Company. At the time it looked like Chrysler would also file bankruptcy. Reagan revoked the authority of the federal government to issue mandatory recalls. They could issue “safety advisories” but not recalls. Instead, Ford agreed to mail out, via U.S. Mail, 23,000,000 stickers to put on Ford dashboards warning people that the transmissions in their cars could cause injury or death.

I worked at the transmission plant that made many of the faulty transmissions, with the full knowledge of top management at Ford. When people were burned to death and killed by cars jumping into reverse, I decided to one day write a book about how those transmissions were made, and how Ford runs auto plants. A Savage Factory is now on the market. I am amused, but hardly surprised, that Ford continues to be one of the most deceptive American corporations by bragging about not taking a government bailout, when, in fact they would have been bankrupt 35 years ago if the government had not ignored horrible deaths and injuries and bailed out Ford from its own incompetent management.
About the Book
About the Book
Blogroll
A Savage Factory Website
The Dewar Chronicles
WordPress.com
WordPress.org
Buy the Book

Buy “A Savage Factory” on Amazon.com
Buy “A Savage Factory” on BarnesAndNoble.com
Social Networking
Facebook
Facebook – Book page
Goodreads
Goodreads – Book page
LibraryThing
Myspace
Shelfari
Shelfari – Book page
Twitter
Flickr Photos

More Photos

Archives
January 2010
November 2009
October 2009
September 2009
August 2009
July 2009
June 2009
May 2009
April 2009
March 2009
Meta
Register
Entries RSS
Comments RSS
WordPress.com
Recent Posts
Will Ford Blow It By Repeating The Mistake Of 1976?
Has Capitalism Set Us Free or Enslaved Us?
Is the UAW going to kill off Ford Motor Company?
Similarities Between the Failed Soviet System and the Failing Corporate System
Is it the auto industry, or is it American Management?
Tags
auto workers bad management bailout Big Three car quality Detroit Ford recall Sharonville transmissions UAWCategories
Uncategorized
Categories
Uncategorized
Recent Comments
luxematic on Why do Ford TV ads harp so much on quality?
rdewar839797 on Mining the Medical Motherlode in the auto industry
Twan on Mining the Medical Motherlode in the auto industry
rdewar839797 on Sexual harassment at Ford’s Sharonville Transmission Plant
rdewar839797 on Sexual harassment at Ford’s Sharonville Transmission Plant
VodPodPod
West Virginia Ninja 768 views01 Jun 1001
Aggressive Maneuvers for Autonomous Quadrotor Flight 998 views28 May 1002
Christian Groups: Biblical Armageddon Must Be Taught Alongside Global Warming | The Onion 867 views26 May 1003
Speedriding on Aconcagua by Francois Bon 452 views25 May 1004
Arduino quadcopter drone 1138 views24 May 1005 see all 796 videos >
I collect with vodpodPrevious 5Next 5Category Cloud
Uncategorized Spam Blocked
spam comments
blocked by
AkismetBlog Stats
4,111 hits
Top Clicks
flickr.com/photos/asavage…
Top Posts
Quality Standards at the Sharonville Transmission Plant
priceml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:35 AM   #14
danandbetty
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10132
You'll hear lots of arguments about Ford/Dodge/GM and which is best but I believe they'll all do the job if you have a 1 ton with a diesel engine. I towed with a single rear wheel truck and went to a dually which I think feels waaaay more stable and stops better (more rubber on the road). For my dollar the Dodge fits best. I love the Cummins 6.7L engine for both power and economy with the 6 speed auto. I get about 18 to 18.5 MPG empty on the hwy (driving 60 - 65 MHP in Alaska) and about 11 to 12 mpg towing my 36' Montana. I like that the new Dodges come equipped with intergal trailer break controller and the exhaust break.

We've all heard stories about all brands regarding quality and break-downs and problems getting service. Mine's an '07 - I have 60,000 miles, drive it carefully, follow all the care and maintenance recommendations (doesn't cost that much in the bigger scheme) and have never had a problem. Could be that there are some that break and some that don't. Maybe I'm just lucky but so far no problems.

All that said, I believe a comprably equipped Ford or Chevy will do roughly the same. Drive them all and see how you feel in terms of visibility and comfort. They all perform very well. Good luck...enjoy the excitment of a new rig.
danandbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:35 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You are of course talking about Robert J Dewar author of "A savage factory and a one time manager at Ford.

Workers at Ford's Sharonville Transmission plant from 1974-79 knew him. He was foreman of Dept. 258. Boss of torque converters. The bleeping "college boy" from Procter & Gamble. The maverick manager who took notes and stuffed memos in his pockets, waiting to save enough money to escape and write an autopsy of the auto industry.

Interesting reading. It could be about any auto plant..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:33 PM   #16
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
Didn't mean to get that far off topic. Bottom line I am disappointed in the quality of my 07 Dodge/Cummins. The Dodge part and the Cummins part and the dealer part. If I were to look today I would not be looking at a Dodge. Just my opinion. And you know what those are like . Hope you are happy and good luck with whatever decision you make!!!

mtpocket2 is offline   Reply With Quote