Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2009, 05:25 AM   #1
Paintpro99
Established Member

M.O.C. #3285
LEAKING HYDRAULIC PUMP/RESERVOIR

I have a 2008 3400RL Montana 5th Wheel and have had problems with the hydraulic pump reservoir leaking fluid. My dealer replaced it last June with a new pump and now the new one is leaking worse than the original one. My dealer has agreed to install another pump of the same design free of charge but I am hesitant to go this route as I do not want the same problem year after year. Has anyone out there had this problem? If so, does anyone have any ideas how to modify this design so that it does not leak?

I understand that on the 10th Anniversary Model, they redesigned the pump with the reservoir sitting vertically on top of it. I contacted my dealer who got in touch with Lippard and they have agreed to send my dealer the new vertical pump but I will have to pay the labour charges to install it. I am not too impressed with having to pay the labour but if this design works, it might be worth it. Has anyone with the Anniversary Model had any problems with fluid leaking on their pump? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Paintpro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:37 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Based on what you have posted, I might want to try to negotiate with the dealer to install it without charge even though Lippert will not reimburse them for the labor. This will be good PR for them and you can tell them how you will brag on their service to the MOC, a forum with 9000+ Montana folks.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:27 AM   #3
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
I have had problems with my 3400 RLS and the service people haven't figured out the problem.
My bedroom slide comes out a few inches while traveling.
I can put it in all the way but it continues to creep out.
No leaks have been found.
dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:10 AM   #4
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I had a problem with my resevoir in my 07 3400 leaking...Lippert sent a new one and solved the problem. You might check the warranty...it's three years for actuators, etc, and five years for "fluid power components."
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:32 AM   #5
happy campers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6523
The tank on our '05 developed a "seepy" leak where the tank mounts to the pump. I understand there is an "O" ring there that sometimes fails and causes a leak. We had a film of oil that ended up on the mounting plate and surrounding areas, but no big puddles. As TLightning said, the fluid components are covered under a 5yr warranty by Lippert, and our dealer installed a new pump and tank assembly. It was the old style, but it doesn't leak now so we're happy. One thing I did do on this one was to cut a piece of the 1" rigid pink foam insulation big enough to fit under the tank just to give it a little support. I was thinking that by keeping the tank supported, it might reduce it's possible bouncing movement and therefore, not put any stresses on the "O" ring. I'd pursue having you dealer assume all costs just because it is under warranty. I did make the initial contact with Lippert, and they took my VIN# and determined they would cover the work. They made all of the arrangements with our dealer. Good luck, and keep us up to date.
happy campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:21 AM   #6
royando
Established Member

M.O.C. #9021
My 2003 3280RL was leaking at the Lippert pump reservoir. I drained and removed the reservoir. Cleaned some residue from it and reinstalled it with the same o ring. It has been ok for several months. Maybe some grit worked its way under the o ring?
royando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:06 AM   #7
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
My 07 leaked when I picked the Monty up. The reservoir was replaced and no problems since.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:39 AM   #8
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
dannyl: slightly of topic here, but responding to your issue. It's very likely that the piston seal on your bedroom slide cylinder is faulty. Unless the cylinder is removed and disassembled there will be no outward signs of failure thus the failure to locate a leak by your dealers mechanics. If the internal seal has failed, it will allow the slide to work itself out over a period of time.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:30 AM   #9
happy campers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6523
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dieselguy

dannyl: slightly of topic here, but responding to your issue. It's very likely that the piston seal on your bedroom slide cylinder is faulty. Unless the cylinder is removed and disassembled there will be no outward signs of failure thus the failure to locate a leak by your dealers mechanics. If the internal seal has failed, it will allow the slide to work itself out over a period of time.
This is also probably off topic, but when it comes to hydraulics, dieselguy knows his stuff. He directed me to the leaking "O" ring in an earlier thread I started. Again dieselguy, thanks for all of your help in plumbing in my shutoff valve and getting my leak fixed. It's been working without any problems.
happy campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:53 AM   #10
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Question -- I have a similar problem with my SOB -- when it warms up I find that the bottom of the bedroom slide goes out anywhere from 2 to 4 (or so) inches. I close the slide and it stays put until the next time the weather gets cold, then warms up again.

So, the question is -- is it possible that the hydraulic fluid is expanding enough (temp warming) to push that slide out just a bit. The normal order for opening / closing is bedroom then curb side then street side slides so I would expect the bedroom to move first if hydraulic pressure is applied. I know that fluids expand some as temp increases but do they expand enough to let the slide come out this way (and only on the bottom edge). Thanks in advance.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:35 PM   #11
fernsco
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8144
My 3485 drinks hydraulic fluid but I can not find any leak. I had to add a quart twice last season and we really did not use it that many times (15 rotations of slide in/slide out). And yes, I wait until the slides are in and then check the level before sliding out the next time to insure I am not overfilling it.
fernsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 03:14 AM   #12
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I put a line with a permanent marker on the side of the resevoir where the fluid is when the slides are in and where the fluid is when they are out.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:35 AM   #13
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

Based on what you have posted, I might want to try to negotiate with the dealer to install it without charge even though Lippert will not reimburse them for the labor. This will be good PR for them and you can tell them how you will brag on their service to the MOC, a forum with 9000+ Montana folks.

An accurate statement to the dealer would be more effective.

You are right Stiles, negotiating is the best tactic.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:20 PM   #14
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
The reservoir on our trailer leaked all of last year. We had the O ring replaced last fall and guess what. The piece of junk is leaking again. I put a small piece of hard foam to help support the tank but it didn't help.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote