Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2007, 03:23 AM   #21
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Helen, is that ride on a bus or is it a route that you drive in your truck? I'm not sure if our dualie will fit around all those tight curves. Thanks for the suggestion. Our trip north starts tomorrow and we're excited.

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:35 AM   #22
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
It's by truck Judy and as long as you are on the inside you should not have a problem with the dually. I think Steve drove it too so maybe he'll be along to tell you for sure. It was at least 9 or 10 years ago that we did this and I think we only had the Tahoe at that time.

You are in for such a beautiful trip. I still get a lump in my throat when I remember the story of Deadhorse State Park.

adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:41 AM   #23
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Judy,

Five days in Mexican Hat will be plenty for you..be sure to have plenty of groceries, there aren't any grocery stores for 50+ miles. Make sure while at Mexican Hat, you see Goosenecks SP, Moki Dugout, Muley Point, 17 mile drive Valley of the Gods, and the Natural Bridges National Park, and the Cedar Mesa area.

We're moving after many wonderful days of boondocking here as Goosenecks SP, headed for Blanding for a couple of days ....and a looong hot shower!

We're real excited for you....keep in touch.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:17 AM   #24
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We're stocking up, per everyone's recommendation. Got lots of doggie treats, #1 on the list, so we'll be good to go. Can't wait! Thanks for all the ideas.

Robbie, the nice thing about boondocking.....you can't take many showers but there's no one around to smell ya!
Old 04-09-2007, 01:44 PM   #25
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We enjoyed the LaSalle Mountain Drive. To be honest, I didn't think it was very difficult but maybe that's because up in the high parts where the road is curvy there was snow to mark the shoulder. I thought it easier than Going to the Sun Road in Glacier. Helen, we got your email at that time and took it from north to south, same as you. Maybe the snow made it easier.

Judy, I don't see any reason your dually couldn't do this drive.

When you're on this drive, north of the mountain part, watch for this sight. According to the movie museum we told you about, near Moab, this is where Chevy put that truck in the ads a number of years ago. Wasn't it a helicopter that put it there?

Here's a couple of pictures of the road up in the mountains. We were there in April, I think it was. The second picture was at something like 8500 feet or so; the other was a bit lower, I think.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:11 PM   #26
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Hey, that snow looks like it will do the trick, Steve. Good markers. Snow??? We've been in 93' weather!!!!
Old 04-10-2007, 10:28 AM   #27
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
It was in April, Judy, in the mountains! Since we started out in Moab where the weather was nice, I think I was in shorts and sandals. In any case, not prepared for snow!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 01:34 PM   #28
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We had snow in June at Bryce.
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 09:19 AM   #29
Merv
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1001
Hi Judy,
you might check out the BLM campgrounds outside Moab.
when we were there a few years back we stayed at Big Bend Campground. It was a nice quiet campground on the colorado river.
here is a site to check out, it lists where the campground is located and some other campgrounds along the road.
http://www.blm.gov/utah/moab/camp_128.html

Merv

Merv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 09:26 AM   #30
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Thanks, Merv, we will check into the BLM campgrounds. We hope to boondock around Mexican Hat, move to Moab to a park with connections, and then park in a BLM area. Boondock, connections, boondock. Works for me!
Old 04-12-2007, 07:19 PM   #31
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Well, I guess we're going to see Sedona and the Grand Canyon with snow embellishments. We've gotten 3 inches so far with more falling during the night. Should be a pretty sight.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:29 AM   #32
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
HiJudy, we are also planning on boondocking - connections - boondocking in southern Utah. We will be there closer to June and maybe early July. I think we will come into Utah by way of the Four Corners area and try to work around Moab, Mexican Hat, then over to Brice and Zion. If you don't mind we may check back with you to see what campgrounds you liked the best. See you on the road. John
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 05:09 AM   #33
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Absolutely keep in touch, John and Dorothy. We like to share any information that we have and appreciate gleaning knowledge from others on the forum. That's one of the assets of being part of this group.

The snow is melting already this morning but it was beautiful last night when it was coming down, great for making snowballs. Greta wondered what was hitting her (the snow, not the snowball) but then she's an Alabama dog. Today we're heading for Sedona. Don't know if they got the snow or not. It's at a lower elevation.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:40 PM   #34
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Judy, We're in Moab as I type! Staying at Moab Valley RV. Handy to Arches, Canyonlands, Moab, and the Lasal Loop. Did the loop today. Gorgeous! 2 1/2 hr. drive through the high country. Hiked in Arches yesterday. Needles area of Canyonlands, tomorrow. Upper 60s in Moab now. 40s on the loop! RV park has wi-fi and cable and is nice and handy to town etc. We head west to Capital Reef (Torrey) on Monday, the we'll do Bryce and Zion after that. Fun time!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 02:27 PM   #35
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Sorry to say, we will miss you, Chris. Lord willing, we will arrive on Wed. at Portal RV Park. Sounds like fun. Same temps as Flagstaff. We went down (literally) from Flagstaff (7000 ft. elev. with snow) to Sedona (5000 ft. 68') today and enjoyed the sights and hiked in one of the canyons. Then we drove the switchbacks up to 7000 ft again. It was a great day! We had good company, too, with fellow MOCers Bob and Marg.