Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2007, 04:09 AM   #1
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
awning

ok fellows, my monty has the offset awning. I have had a small problem of getting it to roll up straight. Today i had to try at least 6 to 8 times before it finally could lock in place. I finally moved the strap all the way toward the long end and held the strap outward at an angle. the springs dont seem to be weak . Is there a trick to rolling up the offset awning? I sure would have liked an electric awning this morning! LOL! my awning sure makes you to be sure and attend church tonight! lol, any suggestions would be appreciated. the good outlook is...on my way to florida thursday!

tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 04:35 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Tom, I have had trouble with the sliding support on the short side, make sure both sliding arms go all the way down. It should go up evenly if when extended, all the fabric is out. It can make you a little crazy! And you always think everyone is looking and laughing, that pressure doesn't help either.....
Good luck with it.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 08:32 AM   #3
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
The trick I found to keep it rolling straight is to make sure the strap is in the center of the awning when rolling it up.
I hold the awning tube in my hand when I flip the lever and then walk the strap to the center and it rolls up straight.
Good Luck!
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 09:06 AM   #4
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
The awning material may also be sliding in the groove (either at the sidewall or in the tube). If that's the case, get it straight and even (equal from the ends both at the wall and the tube). Once it's straight and you can get it to roll up straight, put a small screw in each end just outside the awning material to lock it in place. You could also put one screw through the material, but I'd be afraid it may tear out over time. I have seen them that way from the factory before however(not a Montana).
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 10:58 AM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I had the same problem as Ozz - one of the rails would stick and mess it all up. Happened after the wind slammed it and the DW up against the side one day while I was trying to put it away. I never did remember to fix it before we sold it.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 12:02 PM   #6
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
I couldn't get ours to lock the first time I tried it. When I lift the black handle and slide the main rails in. I have to keep the (long side) up one hole from the stop. If I let both side slide right down to the stops, The awning won't lock up top. I was going to move the stop up one hole, but I think that would be too far. It seems to work OK lifting the Left side up one notch from the stop.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 03:40 PM   #7
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Tom,

I understand about those irritating awnings. I have yet to get mine to roll up without the fabric part being lose in the middle of the awning.

Good Luck!
Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 04:30 PM   #8
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Thanks everyone for your support and help. I think I will get the hang of this awning, sometimes it goes up like a charm, but today about made me call A&E some mighty bad names! lol, anyway we usually stay put mostly a month at a time so not that bad I guess. anyways we'll be on our way to fla from nashville thursday. Nashville operhotel sure was pretty this Christmas, and the "Rockettes" was really nice. thanks again guys
Old 01-04-2007, 02:16 AM   #9
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975

Tom41 ....Sorry to get off subject but your kitty looks exactly like our kitty.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 06:11 AM   #10
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
well the first time I used ours when rolling up the black handle hung up on the step railing an wont go up or down I was alone so had to let everything go and pry the handle around the hand rail and try to keep it from slaming aginst the RV and almost smashed my fingers so be carful they are powerful springs.
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 11:03 AM   #11
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
hey Dusty and Don, then you have a mighty pretty and I bet a "spoiled" cat! we have 3 !! all black an white. and believe me they do rule the house! now if i could only get them to roll up this dang awning! lol and thanks everyone