Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2006, 11:35 AM   #1
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
3000 RK A few problems

Have had the new 3000RK for a week and have put about 1000 miles on it on the way back home. DW absolutely loves the floorplan with the kitchen in the rear, especially the convection microwave. I have had only a few problems with it since taking it from the dealer: 1) Fireplace motor does not work as far as changing flame scene - dealer ordering new motor, 2) rechargeable light doesn't work, charges but won't light, dealer ordered replacement, 3) tile in entrance had cut, dealer replaced with nice wood flooring, love it, 4) front landing gear had blown fuse between motor and battery, replaced fuse works great, 5) no runnning lights, discovered when getting ready to leave rv park at 6AM, will have to address that problem Monday or Tuesday, brake lights and turn signals work fine, probably loose wire someplace. Now in Fredericksburg, TX enjoying the Oktoberfest with great music, food, and of course fine German beer.

Thanks for the warning you sent me on the drawer under fridge coming open when traveling and hitting slideout. My dealer's service dept. told me this was a problem and installed a latch to secure it during travel.

Love the water hookup system and tank flush.

Great 5th wheel.

Thanks again for everyones advice.....

barb and bob

rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 12:44 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Sounds like you got the right unit for you two. Glad all you issues had easy solutions. Happy RVing....
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 01:25 PM   #3
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
rrheik, I'm glad to hear you are so pleased with your choice. We love ours too, it fits our needs, and us, perfectly. We have made our Maiden Voyage and found a few small problems, a couple I fixed with advice from this forum, and a couple the dealer will get to contend with. I became aware of the drawer problem while reading the replies to your original post, so before we took off I wedged pillows and a sleeping bag between it and the slide. It worked great, but a latch is much better, I may see if my dealer is as receptive to the latch idea as yours was. We are a minority in this club, as our trailers were a new model for 2006, but from what I've read we are all pleased with them. A lot of people don't like the rear kitchen, I think mostly because things tend to bounce around more at the rear of the trailer, but we didn't worry about that because we really liked this floor plan. As it turned out on the first trip, over some very rough roads, everything stayed just where it was put, even the stuff on the much discussed, lazy susan.
The bottom line in all of this is, I believe that no matter which model it is, if it fits you and your needs, and it is a Montana, you can't go wrong.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 02:14 PM   #4
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Right on Lonnie. I like all the Montana models. I have a big drawer under my fridge and it would come open when we travelled because we keep all our cooking pots in there and the little squeeze latches can't hold back that weight so someone on this site suggested the child proof drawer latches you can buy at Walmart.

One of these works like a charm and only allows the drawer to come out about 3/4". We are so used to opening the drawer enough to press the safety tab with our finger that it has become routine.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 02:21 PM   #5
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Good idea Don, I remember those from when the boys were small.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 02:44 PM   #6
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
About your tail lights. You might just try wiggling the plug going into your truck from the Monty. Happened to me also. I had signal and brake but no running lights. I wiggled the plug and away they went. Must have been a little CRUD on one of the legs. Hope this helps.
safe travels John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 05:18 PM   #7
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Thanks again for the responses.. Between your help and the dealer, don't think you can go wrong with the Montana. Forgot to mention my dealer also raised my dining table 2" because I banged my knee when I sat down at the table. Just put a piece of plywood between the center postand table top, which is not noticable and it works great.

Thanks again,

barb and bob
Old 10-08-2006, 10:27 AM   #8
Buffpilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5227
Glad the dealer put a latch on the pan drawer. Thank you for the suggestion on raising the table, I too at 6'3" have banged my knee several times and we were looking at going to a trestle table. I will definitely try the plywood when we get to Texas in two weeks.
Buffpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 02:22 PM   #9
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Barb and Bob, welcome to MOC, and glad you like your 3000RK. We really love ours. The latch for that drawer is definitely the way to go. The child-proof latches someone mentioned are not only good for that drawer, but also work well to keep the cabinet doors from coming open and dumping contents all over the floor.
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:08 PM   #10
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Jan and Bob, Thanks, will probably pickup some of the childproof latches for the other drawers and cabinets. Happy rving.

barb and bob