Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2006, 06:27 PM   #1
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
New fuel mod

Just a thought hereHas anyone ever replaced or consider replaceing thier fresh water tank with a fuel reserve tank for diesel. We never boondock thus we never take fresh water along with us. Fuel on the other handCan it be done? Is it legal? Is it SAFE. Anyone out there think this is a dumb idea?

Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 08:37 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I believe some of the TOY HAULERS have fuel tanks. Can not speak of the legality. Why not just leave the fresh water tank empty and put a second tank in your TV. Then if you ever needed the fresh water reserve you have it. We like to comfort of having a few gallons while we are traveling down the road.
Good luck and tow safe.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 12:48 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I also do not boondock and don't plan on starting and so our FW tank stays empty, And since you asked, Yes, I do believe it to be a dumb idea. I don't know about the legal aspect but if you ever decide to trade the rig in it would seriously lower the trade in value. I also think back to a couple of MOCers that had their FW tank drop to the hiway while they were traveling to Alaska. By the time they realized what had happened there was a hole worn into the tank and all the WATER was gone. Now imagine the clean up cost had that been 60 gallons diesel?
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 01:08 AM   #4
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Not only what Glenn said but you would residual diesel smell into your coach, since the water tank has vents to help it. it also does not have baffles to help it from slushing around like most reserve fuel tanks have. Not good idea in my opinion.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 04:45 AM   #5
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Don't you need some water while you are traveling? We need some for washing up after lunch and for flushing the toilet while traveling to our next location. As the others have already said and I agree that it sounds like a bad idea to have that much fuel hanging under your trailer. If you need more fuel why not install a tank in the back of the truck?
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 05:17 AM   #6
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
I think your last question answers the first part of the inquiry. IT is a dumb idea. Just agreeing with you.
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 08:11 AM   #7
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Not a good idea. Issues such as safety, resale value, etc. If you do a lot of traveling you will need some fresh water at some point.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 10:24 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The biggest problem with a tank in the bed of the truck is that it counts against the truck's payload capacity and against the GAWR axle weight rating. Since our Montana has a high pin weight we could not add a tank in the bed of the truck without some serious overweight problems.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 03:11 PM   #9
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
Garin1

No question is a bad one, the bad one is the one you don't ask, but I would stay clear of using the fresh water tank. Larry & LaVonne
Old 01-27-2006, 04:43 PM   #10
Montana_4221
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4221
My main concern would be safety. With sensors and wiring there is always potential for a short. Your insurance co. might not be too impressed with the modifications in the event of a fire.

Of course you could eliminate the wiring. But it still doesn't sound like a good idea.
Montana_4221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 05:01 PM   #11
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
You are right Cruzin2. The only dumb question is the one not asked. The thing i like most about this forum is the abundance of input from so many wonderful people without the abrasiveness that I find elsewhere,,,,,well,,,,usually.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:21 AM   #12
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Garin1,
You got a lot of good ideas from your question. Actually it might be a good idea to ADD a fuel tank somewhere on the Monty but as some others have suggested I would not use the water tank or the water tank area. If you do any off road vehicle traveling or would like to have spare fuel for a generator then adding a tank might work. My brother is building a 5th wheel trailer for friend of his and they ride motorcycles. They will be building a fuel tank into the 5er for the MC. By the way it is going to be a modified "toyhauler" type rig. A big ramp in back will allow him to roll his big bikes into the trailer.

But they will have a water tank on the rig as well. One NEVER knows when one may need water. We run with at least a half tank of water. I like having it on hand in case of an emergency. NEVER needed it but nice to know it's there.

Happy travels.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 07:38 AM   #13
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Here is a Link to some good options that can be use with a toneau cover for 30 and 50 gallon tanks. Larger tanks available too if you don't have a toneau cover and not concerned with the weight. http://www.transferflow.com/html/cro...edtanks_0.html
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 12:44 AM   #14
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
In bed tanks are usually a DOT approved system. If you load up that plastic tank that has no baffles you will create a sloshing motion while moveing which will create foaming ,which needs some sort of pressure release. I beleive your fill area will be belching diesel as you drive down the road and when you stop. I agree with all the above posts its made for water,a little in the tank while you are traveling, or a full tank if you are off to a rustic campsite. If you develop a leak or if pressure causes that diesel to leak you could face some big time clean up cost.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 01:17 AM   #15
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
I believe some people are getting the wrong impression from my question. If it were feasable, the water tank would have to be removed and replaced with a certified fuel tank. Never would I put fuel in a container made for water.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:26 AM   #16
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
We always carry fresh water to about one third of the capacity. That has always been enough, and we always do use it. One reason we like the 2955 is that we can use it so easily with both the slides in. So, we use that water for toilet and also for a few meals.

A further comment: my usual practice is to DRAIN the fresh water tank after every trip and fill (to the 1/3 mark)just before leaving on each new trip. The point is, we want fresh water.

Our first fifth wheel was bought used from friends. On our first trip, the water pump simply quit working. Being such novices we took the whole rig into our RV dealer. Fortunately, they left all the old "parts" for me. It was really only a pump screen (literally screen wire) which had been totally stopped up by algae. Our friends had evidently not used the fresh water from the tank, but had left it filled. This was ONE of the first important lessons I learned about caring for a fifth wheel.

I know this started as a topic about additional gasoline tank, but it clearly related to the use of the fresh water tank, so I hope all these comments are in order.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 03:27 PM   #17
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
I installed a 50 gal. saddle tank for diesel in the back of my truck. I put it between my toolbox and the front of the truck bed. I used a permanent plastic below deck boat tank. I attached a 12 volt pump to a panel with a switch, gage, and filter. I did not attach it to the fuel filler hose or tank. I can remove it any time due to not being attached to the truck. I also put a 1/4 turn valve on the vent to prevent any over flow during travel. Works fine, expecially when I find a good price on fuel. I would not try this for gasoline.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote