Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2005, 03:31 PM   #1
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
What a difference

We were having a couple of repairs made on the old Prowler before trying to sell it, and I went down to pick it up today. I had not gone more than a couple of miles in it when I looked into the mirrors while going around a long curve and saw just a bit of fishtail in it and was shocked by it. How quickly I have grown accustomed to the Montana and its stability when towing! It was also shocking to not see that 5er nose filling my rear view mirror.

You know, we loved our Prowler, but there is just NO comparison to the Montana. As we emptied the rest of our accumulated junk from it, and started taking what we wanted to keep to its new home, we were struck by the difference inside. The Montana is truly a handsome unit, and we are not even talking Big Sky attractive here. The Prowler looked awfully plain in comparison and was sorely lacking in cabinet space next to the 3295RK.

I will say one thing about that cabinet space, however. We have NO intention—HA! the best laid plans of mice and men—of filling it to the brim with junk. The Prowler itself never was, but it was still amazing how much we had in there that we never used. I told Marsha that was a fairly good gauge of whether we needed it or not.

Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 03:53 PM   #2
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
We also upgraded from a travel trailer to our Monty. She had it packed to the gills with mostly her clothing in the back and stuff in the front. The only space I really could consider mine was a small closet that doubled for the broom and vac and the left half of the dining seat. The right dining seat was outside storage for the tow /setup equipment.

Congrats on the Montana. I know at least there are cabinets she can not reach without climbing on recliners or chairs without a step stool.

I hope you have fun travels / vacations in your Montana and continue to remember the difference.

Happy Trails
Chris
Old 05-21-2005, 03:57 PM   #3
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
talk about a small world.We too had a prowler.It had one small slide.The difference in towing and living space is night and day.The prowler was a 2003 model and I don`t miss it one bit.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 03:22 AM   #4
sgf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #680
We had a 27' sunline tt with a superslide,the towing difference between the fiver and tt is crazy,you do not even know the fiver is behind you except the weight, sure wish keystone had the same quality that 2003 sunline had,it was well built and never had a problem, just we outgrew it.
sgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 03:44 AM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Wordsmith

Amazing isn't it, when you have to go back to towing something other than Montana.

It really is obvious when I pull the boat to the lake each year, 4 hours over and 4 hours back, driving a van and towing that pontoon. It wears me out, the difference in quality of drive time is remarkable! And, that ain't good!

I have to figure a way to get Al to let me drive the truck and Montana and let him pull that boat! (tee hee).

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 09:45 AM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Sometimes we keep hauling around that "left-handed monkey wrench", waiting for that left-handed monkey and he never comes. I am still trying to decide what NOT to carry.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 10:57 AM   #7
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Hopefully, we are in our last few tows with the Prowler. I am pulling it over to Marsha’s aunt’s tonight to store it there until we sell it as we do not want the neighborhood to start believing we are running a used RV lot!

When Marsha and I bought it in 1998, we were stepping up from a 1994 Coleman pop up, though as some of you know, I traveled all over the country and part of Canada with my parents in their Holiday Rambler in the 1970s and spent summer after that in North Carolina in the same unit. We looked for months for a unit we could afford AND had a floorplan we liked, and it accomplished both, so I have no reservations about it.

You know, one of the intangibles I like about the Montana is the plethora of windows in the 3295RK. They allow so much light in the unit. The Prowler only had two in the front, one at the couch, and three in the back. We have double that now. Additionally, I have fallen in love with the bedroom area; it is a relaxing and attractive space. I know I have heard many people question the fit and finish of Keystone products, myself included when it comes to the lightweight faucet at the galley sink, but even if that is so, the Montana makes a nice presentation.

And, yes, I think my days of having a TT are over. I love the stability of the 5er.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:06 AM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Wordsmith,

It won't be long now until the keystone folk will put you on tour as a Montana spoksman. I agree with you about the pure pleasure of the rig. Getting to the rig, for whatever reason, makes me smile. I truely enjoy it more than our pleasant and comfortable two story stick house. I can take it to whatever scenery I want to view out that big back window.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 02:16 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
When I first saw that galley faucet I figured we might get a year of fulltime use out of it at best. The rig will be 3 years old in July and has been in fulltimer use for 26 months and still doesn't even hint at failure. I'm really surprised but it has held up very well.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 03:34 AM   #10
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
Stiles,
I have a right handed smoke bender I would consider trading for your left handed monkey wrench.

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 04:11 AM   #11
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
The Montana is our 3rd 5th wheel. First a 24 foot 1992 Dutchman 5th wheel no slides, then a 2002 Wildcat 5th wheel with one slide. Those were really plain compared to our new Montana. We bought the Dutchman from my uncle and he thinks they make the best 5th wheel. He hasn't seen our Montana yet. We are taking it to MO. in October so he will see it then. I can hardly wait to see how he likes it. I know he will like it!
Wish he had seen our Montana before he bought his new toy.
We love our Montana and I could write a long page of the things we like about it.
Dusty
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 12:39 PM   #12
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Steve, Glad your galley faucet is holding together. I believe ours bought the farm because the previous owner winterized by blowing out the lines but did not drain at the faucet, which caused this one to crack. I will say though that holding the factory one in one hand and the new Moen faucet we now have in another makes for a striking difference. The original had no weight to it at all.