Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2008, 06:34 PM   #1
kwolff7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6687
How can we have cell service in Canada?

I thought we were going to be able to add a monthly plan from Altel that allowed us to purchase 100 minutes or so a month for a set price from Altel but before we left found out that to do that we had to permanently change plans. For us to use the cell phone, we were told it would cost $1 a minute. So obviously, the only way I would use it would be in an emergency.

Does anyone have better information on what Altel offers or any other ideas for us. What are those of you that are traveling in Canada to Alaska using. Thanks in advance for your help.

kwolff7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:03 PM   #2
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
I have Verizon and it worked just fine in British Columbia 3 summers ago.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:04 PM   #3
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
Forgot to say we had some roaming charges but nothing excessive.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:58 PM   #4
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
If it is just for emergency use your US cell phone and pay the roaming charges
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:28 PM   #5
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
You will be able to use your cell phone up to around Fort Nelson, then after that it is almost non-existent. I bought the Verizon-Canada plan before leaving home and even though I have that plan you do not get a signal from Watson Lake on. I am not sure where it will pick up again. We are in Skagway rignt now and have a great signal, but when we leave here the signal drops and we were told that we should not expect it again until we get into Alaska around Tok.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 07:36 PM   #6
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We're in Valdez and what DHenry says is correct. We did use our AT&T cell phone in Canada and the roaming charges were pretty stiff. But, if needed in an emergency, I would use it. Assuming, of course, that we could get a signal!!

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:06 AM   #7
Ms McGyver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8531
Do you guys get wifi out there? I assume so since you're posting. Have you looked into a new product called 'Magic Jack"? It lets you use your computer as a telephone for $19.00 a year, and apparently it works in Canada and even overseas. All you need is wifi service (and enough battery power on the puter) to use your phone in transit. Google it to find out more.
Ms McGyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 02:18 PM   #8
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Karen, Alltel has the North American plan, which includes part of Canada. Did you look at their coverage map of Canada on their website? My son and his wife live in Yorkton, SK and the NA plan will work for us there.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 04:30 PM   #9
kwolff7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6687
Thanks for all your responses. We do have wifi tonight. We are in Hinton, ALberta..........a very nice KOA at a reasonable price. we drove the Ice Fields Parkway today. It is so beautiful, I will be anxious to see if Alaska is any prettier. It is probably just a different experience.

I guess we will use the phone in an emergency and will just have to pay the expensive roaming. I know about the North America plan,but John said we had to switch to it and then sign a new contract for 2 years. Who knows if this is accurate since we seem to keep getting different responses. John's son did call Alltel again for us and they said we have no plan minutes until we get to Alaska.
kwolff7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:11 PM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Alltel does not charge for switching plans and they do not extend your contract. Call Alltel customer service and talk to them direct (611 from your phone - that's a free call). Someone is giving John WAY wrong info, Karen. I just changed my plan a couple weeks ago - I jump around a couple times a year - and they do NOT require any new contract or extend the one you have.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote