Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > Archived - MOC WEB SITE & COMPUTER TECH HELP > Archived MOC Geek Squad
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2008, 10:44 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I am thinking on getting the Magellan pkg....

We have the Microsoft streets and trips with the sat. finder deal, it is pretty primitive, I have heard the new Magellan is very nice.
Any feedback?????
Thanks, Ozz

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 01:26 PM   #2
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Ozz I borrowed my friends for our trip to Orlando this winter. It worked but I wasn't happy with it, maybe if I used it more it would be ok.

Went to Costco and bought the Garmin 680 400. plus tax. I'm using it like a pro the minute I plug it in. It's very intuitive. For me it works better so try different units out if you can.
Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:04 PM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Well, I'm on a budget, so the laptop trip planner for around $65.00 sounds like the buy I can swing....and sleep well that evening.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:36 PM   #4
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

We have the Microsoft streets and trips with the sat. finder deal, it is pretty primitive
What do you find primative? What version of S&T are you using?
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 03:03 PM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
OZZ,
I used the Delorme on the laptop and lost a hard drive on one trip. Just a caution to make sure the LAPTOP is backed up. With that in mind you might reassess a reasonable GPS.
cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 03:25 PM   #6
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
Ozz, you missed the boat, you should have bit the bullit and got the in dash.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 04:34 PM   #7
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
We bought a Magellan this year and returned it. Garmin works so much better and easier for us.
Sandy
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 04:46 PM   #8
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
So you are using your notebook for guidance, eh?
I have (and like very much) a program called Iguidance. Using it has been very good and easily comparable to the stand alone GPS units. I keep it on my notebook for a backup because I have a stand alone GPS in my truck. I would have no problem using this software if it wasn't cumbersome having my notebook in my truck going down the road.

Give it a look - 109 bones...

http://www.inavcorp.com/product/navi...e_software.php
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:09 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
When I loaded the Magellan onto my friend Tom's laptop, I checked it out, it was really nice, seemed to have many nice features. My old MS just seems inferior to it, maybe I just see the 'new' in it, that's why I wanted feedback.
I do not want a system crash on my notebook, by any means.
I will use the software more for plotting land and areas than trips. We are looking around San Antonio for homes for sale, I would like the Hill Country, fairly close to town. For the inexpensive price of the Magellan, I just thought it would be handy. (Bill, I just couldn't justify the big bucks for the built in system when I was shopping for trucks.)
Old 03-26-2008, 02:31 AM   #10
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
When I went to Niagra Falls a couple of years ago I used Delorme Street Atlas and it worked ok... until the program locked up!, imagine that, it was really windows that locked it up. So going down the road at 65 and having to reboot the laptop and start the program again was no fun. It did it multiple time's going there and coming back, after that I never used it again and went and got a Garmin C340 and have not had 1 problem with it.
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:50 AM   #11
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Ozz,
I don't know the Magellan system, but if we are talking laptop programs, rather than stand alone units, I find that S&T works very well for both route planning and tracking your position along the road. The newest version is only about $35 at Wally World, so you are not investing a lot of money in the software. If you need a GPS sensor as well, that will bump you into the $100 range. We have the previous model GPS sensor which is a little 2" square block that connects through the USB port. The newest versions are even more sensitive, but the one we have works well enough for us. I have even been able to connect our hand held Geochaching GPS unit and get it to work. The update rate is much faster on the newer version and the voice commands are louder. For the money, I think it is hard to beat S&T, but as I said, I have not really looked at anything else.

Most of these systems are using the same basic maps, so it mostly comes down to user friendliness. Good luck in your search.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:42 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We use the Garman system GPS-18/(That may be outdated now.) It is a hockey puck size receiver that fits on the roof or in the window and feeds into a laptop. Helen has the lap top in the truck anyhow when on the road so it serves multiple purposes. The North American V-8 software hss served us well. We have never had a problem of any kind in over 2 years of use. We are partial to Garman because of our experience in using Garman products in the FAA..They are very dependable.. they also cost a bit.... We found S&T good software but not as user friendly as I would like.. I intensely dislike Software.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:41 PM   #13
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Ozz,
I also use Streets & Trips, 2008 version for $35. I have been using it since 2005, upgrading to the newest version when ever it comes out. I have been running it on this laptop since I first bought it. I thought co-pilot would be better with the height information, but personally found it lacking for planning purposes and not as intuitive as S&T. I have the two year old 2" Sat receiver with S&T and it works adequately enough.

I find it very intuitive. Love the live search feature for planning purposes. You click on Live Search, type in RV park, and presto. They appear on the map and a listing in the left hand column. Makes it easy to pick a place to do a "nighter," or other planning. (You must have Internet access for live search) I like the fact that there are pre-programed points of interest that you do not need Internet access to see, e.g., campgrounds, parks, restaurants of any venue, and lots more POI's. Someone mentioned they had a height restriction POI for their S&T and i'm very interested in getting that.

$35 is cheap for that well of a written program.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:31 PM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Wayne, am I correct in reading into your information, that I can upgrade my existing program?
That would be 'Cool beans' if so.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:50 PM   #15
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
If you already have the GPS Receiver for MS S&T, all you need is the $35 package. Actually, Co-pilot GPS Receiver works with S&T and Vice Versa. My GPS S&T Receiver was bought in 2006. I'm now using 2008 S&T
Old 03-26-2008, 08:42 PM   #16
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
We have S&T's as well as two Garmin units & Co-Pilot. Like Streets & Trips the Best, but the (2008 version) will freeze up if the DW zooms in to the last couple of positions, maybe the laptop we are using is a little too weak. The program works well for us.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 05:20 AM   #17
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Yes, $35 for S&T 2008 software, and almost any GPS receiver with a USB connection and that is all you need. Like I said, for the money it is hard to beat S&T.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:29 AM   #18
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
John, I know now what I liked about the other program, as I was loading it in my friend Tom's computer, I noticed (It looked like) the streets were also satellite actual views.
We will 'go into town' maybe today or tomorrow and look at the upgrade for the M&S.
Thanks for helping
Old 03-27-2008, 01:19 PM   #19
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Ozz,
You'll like the 2008 S&T. It zooms in to street level and sometimes "birds eye view." You can pick out a gnat sitting on a flag pole. (Well, almost). I have never had my laptop or computer lock up using S&T. If you need any information on use once you get it, give me a holler. 409-948-6843

Edited: I don't know everything about it, but I can get you going real good.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:00 PM   #20
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks, Wayne.