Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2007, 03:28 PM   #1
osofine
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7471
Send a message via AIM to osofine
Putting kitty in the 5er on the road?

Does anyone put the kitty in their rig while driving? We took a 3 hr drive and took Sassafrass in the truck with us. She never shut up! Meowed all the way. On the way back we put her in the rig for the 3 hr drive. Is this dangerous? It wasn't real hot or cold out. Or should I see if I can get the vet to prescribe kitty-valium for her? She's pretty old (12) and has never liked cars. I just don't think I can do 12 hrs a day of M-E-O-O-W-ing every 2 minutes. Do you think she will quit meowing after the first day?

osofine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:41 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Hi Sherry
We have 3 troublemakers, we put each of them in a pet carrier, place them on our bed. They complained at first, after a few trips they are used to it, now when we stop at a rest stop to use the bathroom, they are all sleeping, may open one eye, but the like the security of the pet carrier. Our little Sparky likes to sleep in his at night when we go to bed. We put the pet carrier on the floor by the desk, he walks in, we shut the door and all is quiet at night.
Don't let them travel without a cage or carrier, they may get caught in a slide, or may hide where you can't reach them, and you won't be able to open the slides for fear of a squished kitty.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:09 AM   #3
refocused
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6586
We don't have any trouble with Murphy, but when we first started traveling with him our vet sold us this stuff by Homeopet, it's a homeopathic medicine called Anxiety - you just measure out so many drops according to weight, put it in a dropper and squirt it into their little mouth - it works fairly well - we don't have to use it anymore because Murphy is used to traveling now - he rides in the truck with us - most of the time he is in his carrier, but we keep his collar and leash on so he can be free to use his potty or eat or visit us in the front seat - with the leash we control where he goes - like NOT UNDER THE DRIVER'S FEET!

s
refocused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:31 AM   #4
osofine
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7471
I never thought about squished kitty. I will buy a large soft carrier for her and also try the homeopathic stuff - if I can find it. She's our 'baby' and we don't want to hurt her. I would like to keep her in the truck with us so she gets used to it since we plan to be gone about 7 months on 3 trips next year. Where did you find the 'anxiety' stuff?
Old 11-09-2007, 01:44 AM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Another name:

Rescue Remedy, found at many health food stores.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 02:56 AM   #6
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Osifine,

When we first started traveling with Alex in the truck with us he meowed all of the time. After several trips he now just falls asleep in his carrier and sleeps the entire time. We keep a litter box in the floor board of the truck and let him out when we stop. He hasn't used the box so far, but heah when you got to go you got to go. Try some short trips when not hooked up to the RV so she gets the idea that she goes in the carrier and then gets to get out of it in a short period of time.

We used to own a pet boarding kennel and had clients that used the Resue Remedy with great success. The vet can give you tablets that will knock her out.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 03:29 AM   #7
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Our cat meowed at first when he traveled. We put him in the 5th wheel one time and couldn't find him. He was under the bed, back at the top. Couldn't get the slides out until we got him out. We had to almost take the bed apart to get him out.

He now rides in the truck. Our cat is very verbal all the time so if we are on a rough road, (he hates that!) And he does the meow thing we have a little squirt water bottle and we give him a misting. One time and all we have to do now, is get the bottle and he sees it and is quiet.
We put a litter box in the back seat and he does use it. We use a smaller one with a lid that locks the top on. Walmart has them very reasonable. Has a swing opening.
Make sure he doesn't get out of his collar, harness or whatever. We almost lost him on last trip. We stopped at a rest area. I stupidly left my door open and he jumped out, slipped out of his harness. He went to the 5th wheel door but steps were up. He then went to the back tire and I grabed his tail and caught him. Whew! I was scared shaking for about a half hour after this.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 09:09 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
We stopped at a neat roadside rest area on I-10 in the foothills, on our way from El Paso Texas, to Tucson, there were great big rocks everywhere, beautiful at mile marker 319 1/2 Right by Dragoon road. There was a yellow Tabby kitty roaming around there, Sue tried to get close to it, Tabby cat would have no part of that, I am afraid someone lost kitty there, she will grow old trying to find mom and dad.
Always be careful with them.
Here is a picture of the rest area.
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...3/100_0394.jpg
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:30 PM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Our Suni enjoys having an entire house to roam in while we are driving. We stop frequently while pulling and always check on him. He is usually laying on the bed or waiting at the door when we open it. We tried having him ride in the truck but I don't need the distractions. I know I will hear the cons of this but he is used to it now and I can't imagine changing it. Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:43 PM   #10
osofine
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7471
Thanks Phil & Kathy.
Hubby says she should be loose too. When we put in for the 3 hr ride she was so glad to see us when we opened the door. Also - we know what brings her out of hiding. The sound of a zip loc lunch meat bag filled with turkey from the deli - Or the pull tab on a can of Fancy Feast. She usually comes running. She's siamese and thinks she is a dog anyway.
I'll still buy the soft carrier for her in the truck. I already bought her a harness and a new tag with my cell phone number on it. I would never let her run free. I'm not sure we will even take her out of the RV and put her on the ground. I suppose if I do, I better get a flea collar or liquid flea stuff to put on her. I've never needed it because she is an indoor kitty. Except for the screened in porch on the deck, she has only been out a couple of times. Then she cowered under a bush until we found her. (She has no front claws).
I will also try the homeopathic method too. And the water bottle. I know she's not fond of a water spritz. We'll make it work one way or another. At least it's not dangerous (other than squished kitty) or illegal to have her in the RV.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:40 PM   #11
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

We stopped at a neat roadside rest area on I-10 in the foothills, on our way from El Paso Texas, to Tucson, there were great big rocks everywhere, beautiful at mile marker 319 1/2 Right by Dragoon road. There was a yellow Tabby kitty roaming around there, Sue tried to get close to it, Tabby cat would have no part of that, I am afraid someone lost kitty there, she will grow old trying to find mom and dad.
Always be careful with them.
Here is a picture of the rest area.
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...3/100_0394.jpg
Ozz: Believe that is the Texas Canyon rest area. Seems that I read somewhere that is the highest point on I-10.

Stubbs Kitty rides on shelf behind sofa, well her ashes do. Sure do miss her.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 05:40 PM   #12
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
We travel with 2 kitties and they stay in the 5ver ever since we started traveling 5 yrs ago - they sleep between the bed and dresser or bed and closet. Sometimes they wake up and sometimes not unless we have stopped for lunch. They seem happy enough being loose and find their own place to sleep. We always locate them before the slides go out but some how they sense that we have stopped for the day and come out for their greeting and eating. I know there is a lot of opinions on what to do but one has to decide what works best for them.

Safe travels.
Lorraine
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 04:15 AM   #13
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Sherry, We also use Revolution flea ointmtent that we put on Suni once a month. He has also been declawed. We did buy a portable (very) outdoor run for him from www.kittywalk.com . It folds down great for travelling and he is getting used to sitting outside with us in his own little space. We are also leash training him to walk a litle distance from Monty. He prefers to be near his home though. We do use a harness and he is never loose, other than in his run......All in all, I think he is a pretty happy fella. Although when we return home after a day of sightseeing, he really gives us hell for being gone... Gotta love these fleabags....lol
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote