Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2007, 07:02 AM   #1
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
cat people "help!!!" update

Those who have cats...What to do about hair balls! Have tried the hair ball cat food and did not help. I brush him often and have not noticed this helping. He is a long haired Main Coon cat. We do give him a bath but he almost wears out his tongue after this grooming himself.
None of the things I have tried seem to help.

If you have anything new I can try I would be gratefull.
Thanks

We bought him Science diet for hair balls and also got something called Laxatone. So far no hair balls.

Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 10:42 AM   #2
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
There is a tube of something (can't remember the name now) you can get at the vets to help them "pass" the hairball. Also butter or oil in the food. I know what you are going through. I have a ten year old cat that throws up every day. We too are at our wits end. Her problem is she's very sensitive to the dry cat food you buy over the market. My other cat --- she never throws up.

Carol
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 01:30 PM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
You will not like my answer, but we shaved our long haired cat, solved the problem while he was alive, NOTHING else worked.
Nothing worse than hair balls deposited everywhere, just don't know any other answer for indoor cats. We have had a number of them.
(No more long haired cats for us, beautiful and love them, but.....yuck.)
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 02:54 PM   #4
Verle and Sue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3960
One natural remedy is papaya, if you can get them to eat it, LOL. The enzymes in it supposedly break down the hair so it doesn't form the hair balls. The other is the tube stuff that is basically flavored vaseline to help them pass them more easily. Good luck. Sue C
Verle and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 02:56 PM   #5
John and Carol
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6294
We have two cats, one throws up hairballs frequently. Wal-Mart sells Hartz Hairball Remedy, something like Vaseline, which helps some. We also cover the carpet with plastic when we are out of the RV and at night. It makes clean-up easier. It is a problem that comes and goes, but it unpleasant to deal with.
John and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 03:21 AM   #6
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Thanks all. I will try every suggestion! (except the shaving lol) Wonder if a little fish oil on his food would help? Heard that makes their coat nice too.
Don't know if he will eat papaya. He is such a picky kitty. But will try. He likes his one brand of cat food and one kind of treat but nothing else. And he begs for those.
Ozz I never saw a bare Main Coon cat before! LOL
Old 06-22-2007, 04:28 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Actually, they trim them with a ball on the end of their tail, and a long collar around their neck..No more hairballs, the cat seemed happier.....we were.
Here's a picture of Sammy with the shave:
Shaved cat
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...3/DSCN1690.jpg

Old 06-22-2007, 11:04 AM   #8
Betty03258
Established Member

M.O.C. #4710
I read an article on hairballs one time that said to give the cat canned pumpkin. I open a can and put it in several 2-ounce tupperware containers. I use one, giving a heaping teaspoonful every day in wet cat food until the container is empty (lasts about 3 days.) I freeze the rest and un-thaw and use a container once every other week. My cat loves it and it seems to work.
Betty03258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 02:56 PM   #9
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Ozz that is a pretty cat!

Did you see our Nino riding down the road on the console of our truck.? He loves to travel.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. We may consider the shaving if the other things do not work.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:03 PM   #10
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I agree with OZZ get it cliped they look funny as can be but they will be much cooler in the summer months with all that hair gone and it will also cut down on hairballs a bunch. I tried to get Georgia to let me get her cat clipped but I got that LOOK.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:11 PM   #11
rubble express
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6477
My DW worked for a vet for many years. The vet product is called Laxatone and it works well for our long hair. I've heard of pumpkin for diarrhea/upset tummy. Any cat in his/her right mind would love fish oil on their food but they may become very finicky about eating after awhile if you run out. DW tells me Science Diet, Iams, and Eukanuba all make special food for hair balls. Hope this helps.
rubble express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 05:22 PM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
It's called the 'Lion cut'
Sue would like your Cinnamon roll recipe......
Old 06-23-2007, 02:18 AM   #13
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dustytuu

Those who have cats...What to do about hair balls! Have tried the hair ball cat food and did not help. I brush him often and have not noticed this helping. He is a long haired Main Coon cat. We do give him a bath but he almost wears out his tongue after this grooming himself.
None of the things I have tried seem to help.

If you have anything new I can try I would be gratefull.
Thanks
Hi,
Our previous cat was a Hymalayan and we had the hairball problems with her too, but we were lucky she would lick a small amt. of regular Vaseline off my finger, hated the Laxatone! It was given to her every other day and that did solve the problems, she lived to be 17 years so obviously it didn't hurt her. Our present "Miss Kitty" is fed Purina Indoor formula(dry) and since I started her on that she has had no more hairballs. She is brushed every other day and thank goodness she likes that.
Good luck, they are nasty things! Esp. if you "find" one with your bare feet in the dark
Roamingusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 02:17 PM   #14
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Nino eats only dry cat food. nutro max. That is the only kind he will eat. The nutro max for hair balls didn't work on his hair ball problem.. I will try to get him to lick some vaseline.
We always have fish oil around. We take fish oil caps with our vitamins.

Ozz I don't use a cinnamon roll recipe but will try to write it down how I make them.