Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > Archived - MOC WEB SITE & COMPUTER TECH HELP > Archived MOC Geek Squad
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2006, 02:28 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Help needed on I-Pod type deals

I want to get Sue a device that has earplugs for listening to recorded music while she walks, I guess they are I-pod devices. I saw an ad on Tv with a postage stamp size clip-on that I imagine you download music on.
As you can see, I am not up to date, any help would be appreciated.
Ozz

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 05:00 AM   #2
Sandymom
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5837
Ozz

There are a huge number of choices available and a lot depends on what functionality you want and, of course, how many spare $$ you have. I just bought the DW a Samsung YP-T9JAB for Xmas (early!) and she loves it. Stores music, pics and videos of the grandkids. Nice, sharp screen and easy to view. Apple iPods are the standard, but they haven't kept up with additional features like others. You can see ours here: http://tinyurl.com/u7h4e

Mike
Sandymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 06:01 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks, Mike. I will look at that now.
ozz
Old 12-05-2006, 06:43 AM   #4
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

I want to get Sue a device that has earplugs for listening to recorded music while she walks, I guess they are I-pod devices. I saw an ad on Tv with a postage stamp size clip-on that I imagine you download music on.
As you can see, I am not up to date, any help would be appreciated.
Ozz
Ozz, Ours is from Creative Labs Zen:M. It has a 30GB disk and plays MP3 and other music formats as well as video and has a built in FM tuner, calendar and address book. I got it vs the iPod because iPod is Apple proprietary and with the Zen I've been able to take the 100s of CDs I have and convert them to MP3 on my desktop and then move them with the playlists to the Zen player. It will run for about 15 hours on a charge which is longer than any plane flight I ever want to take again. I probably have over 500 CDs loaded onto it and if you just play it random shuffle by song its like a hole new listening experience for your collection. Good luck finding something, there is a lot to pick from. I'd be leary of Microsoft's new player as they didn't stick to the last one's format and I expect they'll do the same thing as Apple which is a narrow lockin. http://us.creative.com/products/prod...&product=14331
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 12:15 PM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks! More research.
Ozz
Old 12-07-2006, 01:13 AM   #6
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
I am a real fan of the iPOD. I have had one for the last 3 years and just love it.It is a 40GB which is no longer made. I am not interested in the other features i.e. pics and videos because the screen on all of the devices are just too small for my viewing. I also have a MAC and they interface without any problems. You can join itunes with a PC as well and just download any song or book to listen too. I have loaded nearly all of our cd's and books. I go to the library and pick out books on cd that we would like to listen too, load then into the computer and transfer to each of our iPods. I can listen will driving or walking. In the evening we put the iPod on the JBL speaker and hit shuffle or whatever combination of music we want for the evening and enjoy. Another feature of the iPod that I enjoy is the contacts list which is our address book. I carry the iPod everywhere with me, forget the Palm Pilot.

Dorothy
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 07:08 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Dorthy,
Sounds like what we need, but Sue got wind of the cost and said 'No way', too much money for tunes, she said just get a small radio with earphones. I'll eventually get her something like that down the road.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:07 AM   #8
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
One other thing to consider is the type of storage used. I-pod Nano has 4gb as a flash storage where as the standard I-pod uses an mini harddrive. If you think its going to see alot of jarring or shocks then I would stick to a flash version...not just Apple either as the next thing you should consider is its media type to be sure its compatible with inexpensive software for you computer and the most likely place on web your gonna get the music from. How's that for not really giving you any answers?
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 04:46 PM   #9
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I have an iPOD similar to what Dorothy has and just love it. Cannot believe the great quality and the vast amount of tunes I can store. I have a regular PC that I use to download the tunes. No problems.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 01:04 AM   #10
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
OZZ

I did the radio bit for a couple of years but found it unsatisfactory in the long run. Too much trouble to find a station and stay on track.

They are rarely any deals on any Apple product but I cannot say enough good things about the quality. Apple stands behind their products and if one gets applecare it can pay for itself the first time you have to use it. Their help line is quick as well as the genius desk at the apple store. We have had nothing but good things to say about them even when my husbands laptop crashed and burned they replaced the entire guts of the computer with no cost to us with the applecare insurance.
My cousin called me yesterday to say that she bought her daughter a nano at Costco for a better price than anywhere else. I have not checked it out yet but it is easy to deal with on loading and unloading. It does not house as much music as the 40 or 60GB but I can say I don't need all that space for my use. I want it for the music and the books. My husband has a 6GB iPOD and can house several books and limited music which works for him. As for music, I rarely pay for music anymore, we trade cd's with friends and load them onto the computer and burn cd's.

You might want to check out the consumer reports website for comparison of the mp3 players and see what they have to say.

Dorothy
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 01:48 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks, Dorthy good information
I'll keep the iPOD on my 'A" list.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:12 AM   #12
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
Ozz,
I bought the Creative Zen Micro for school; used it to record my lectures on and then also put music on it too. Love it! Do buy the extended warranty; mine has broken and did have to send it back. If I had to do it over again, I would do an I=pod just because of all the accessories available. Apple really has a monopoly on the market and they do make a great product. I want to get a "docking station" for mine but am having difficulty finding one...
I suggest the Nano. Small, and less expensive than the bigger ipod.
She will love it.
t
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 11:45 AM   #13
Kimmrg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1217
Thanks for all the info out there. I have been researching just as Oz and here I find information just what I wanted. MOC ROCKS!
Kimmrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 03:55 AM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Tara,
Here is the Docking station you were looking for:
http://www.creative.com/products/pro...&product=13875
Ozz
Old 12-12-2006, 03:26 PM   #15
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Ozz you got me thinking about this MP3/4 nanno nanno stuff. I decided I should get up to date with technology and my nephews. I bought one on e-bay over the weekend new with delievery for under fifty bucks. I am still trying to figure out all of this electronic mumbo jumbo but man is this thing great. I feel like a kid at Christmas time again.
Thanks for the idea!
Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 03:03 AM   #16
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
It's cool, but a new learning experience of the ole Ozz man.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:01 PM   #17
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
I have an old Creative 20 Gig Juke box. Had the thing for years and never had any problems. Big like an old portable CD player but eats special rechargable batteries. Because of this I leave it hooked to the electricity and plugged into my stereo at the house all the time. Nothing like having all your music available at a touch of a finger in the size of a couple of CD cases.

Now I have heard that the I-pod has the best sound, Creative products are next in line. From personal experience the things I would consider are. Battery consumption, 10 gig minimum for storage (the larger the better), Size, quality of sound and accesseries available. I-pod has addressed these issues very well....
Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote