Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2015, 11:02 AM   #1
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Where is the clear view of the southern sky???

We have had a tailgater for about 6 months now. Only once, right after we bought it, have we received all of the Dish stations that we have subscribed to. Our question is what constitutes a "clear view of the southern sky". If we say that straight south sighting out ground level is 0 degrees and straight up into the air is 90 degrees, what angle do we need to maintain for a clear view? Where we are currently parked, trees about 150 yards out block the sky below 30 degrees. BTW, the channels that we don't receive are not always the same at every location we park.

DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 11:14 AM   #2
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
Can't answer your question directly but I use an app on my smartphone called Dishpointer it helps tremendously. Only one time in the last year that I've not been able to find a spot to place the dish.
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:30 PM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I use the dishformyrv app on my iPhone. Does a pretty good job. Currently parked in a site with lots of trees on TX/OK border. Used the app to find a small opening thru the tree canopy. Initially came up 3-4 times on the screen saying it could not find all the sats. But when I clicked on watch live TV it loaded the program guide and appears to have most if not all the stations we watch.

In this area of north TX the sats are slightly to the southwest. With the cover off my Taillgater when I first power up I can watch the dish first go to a southerly direction, search there, determine that is not correct, rotate to the east and search, determine that is not correct, rotate toward the southwest, determine it is finally correct, connect to the sats, and download the program guide. Don't know why it goes thru those gyrations since I have to tell it my location to scan. Part of a preprogrammed sequence apparently.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:48 PM   #4
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Perhaps our question can't be answered specifically. Forgot that the angle of the satellite in the sky will vary with different geographic areas. We have been aiming strictly to the compass south. Will try moving toward the southwest and firing for effect. The disformyrv app is not available on our android phones, but there are several satellite finders to choose from. Hopefully the rain here in Ohio will stop overnight. Will try the experimentation with direction in the morning.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:32 PM   #5
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I know this sounds wacky, but in the Manual it SHOWS the handle as being the Front and facing South which is wrong ,it almost messed me up when I saw the pic in the manual showing that, but I could the see other tailgaters in the campground pointed in the 0pposite direction and I asked them and they said yep the handle is the rear and the other side front......DISH outta fix that pic in the manual......I'm just asking and I am sure it has screwed a few folks as well,just last year I was at a campground in Oregon and there was a couple was making that mistake and asked them how many channels you getting they said abut 20...WELL I told them their Dish is pointed the opposite direction and after that everything was fine
bigskyjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 02:40 PM   #6
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Try an app called satellite finder or satellite locator. It shows you all the satellites in the sky.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 02:50 PM   #7
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Just downloaded satellite finder. Will see how it works in the morning. Guess we didn't read the manual. We always figured that the handle was pointing to the rear and that the name on the tailgater pointed forward.
Old 05-05-2015, 03:03 PM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
With the cover off and watching mine, when first powered on the dish rotates CW until it reaches the area of the handle, then rotates CCW a full 360 degrees until it reaches the area of the handle from the opposite direction. So the handle area seems to be the rotational limits of travel. I think the only reason not to point the handle south is if it happened to be in direct line with the sats the dish may not be able to make the slight side to side movements to switch between sats when changing channels. When I first got mine I did not pay much attention to direction and it worked no matter how I oriented the handle.
Old 05-05-2015, 03:10 PM   #9
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Another point to check. We thought the unit was sealed. Didn't know the top came off.
Old 05-05-2015, 03:44 PM   #10
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Are u sure its not a Dish issue? There are times we dont get all our channels and we call Dish. They do some updates on thier end and we redownload the guide and they show up. Its worth a try! Thats after our signals locked in. Just a thought...
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 05:00 PM   #11
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by davidaf

Can't answer your question directly but I use an app on my smartphone called Dishpointer it helps tremendously. Only one time in the last year that I've not been able to find a spot to place the dish.
Same here. That app works great. Have had to move the rig forward or back a couple of times, but we've been able to get them all almost everytime.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:08 AM   #12
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Well we have progress. We used the pointing app and have improved our reception significantly. We still can't get all of the stations, but HD is back and there are fewer missing stations. I guess the "clear view of the southern sky" is a misnomer. The app says that we should be pointing almost straight west. That's where we got the better reception. Thanks everyone for your advice and help.

Next we are going to check our cable. It's a 100' that we used when we had the DirecTV dish. We've read that DirecTV cable may not be a high enough grade to carry the Dish signals. Don't know whether that's a fact or a marketing ploy, but it's worth a check.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:27 AM   #13
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I went to a 25ft High quality thick RG6 made for sat. and it has made nice difference as well,Dish told me to replace the cheap 50 footer they give ya and to try the 25ft because the further North you get the weaker the signal and I live in the NW so it makes sense to go with the shorter thicker cable and they were right
Old 05-06-2015, 11:44 AM   #14
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I also bought a new high quality quad shielded RG 6 cable. Seems to do much better than the one that came with it.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:52 AM   #15
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I just got the Dishpointer app. Works great THANKS.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote