Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2009, 12:19 PM   #1
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
Want to use local wifi and route in the Monty

Here's a newbie question. Let's say we're at a KOA with local wifi internet access. Our Monty is parked in a spot where the laptop(s) can't get a good lock on the wifi. What do we do? I'm thinking that we get a widget that has an antenna, picks up the wifi, boosts it and routes it in our Monty. So, what's the widget, or a better way?

KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:24 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
It's called a repeater, but it sounds like you need a weatherproof one you can install to amplify the signal to your laptop located inside your rig. I believe there are products for this. I'll look around. This must be related to your question about a Cat 5/6 RJ45 connection. heh-heh

here's a link to the cautions of a repeater:

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials...le.php/1571601

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:33 PM   #3
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
Hey, Art...that is a good article. What happens in the CG if a bunch of repeater-equipped RV's show up?
Can the antenna of a repeater be extended?
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:39 PM   #4
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
How about a outside antenna that plugs into the USB port?
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:03 PM   #5
DnDatGrdJct
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7686
Dave,

The July/August issue of the Escapees Magazine on page 56 has an article on this problem. They also have plans for a homemade WIFI antenna. He claims you can build one for between $27-$60.

Hope that this may give you some ideas.

Dean
DnDatGrdJct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:21 PM   #6
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Kathy and Dave,

Here are a few gadgets I use. They all work, some are better than others.

http://s364.photobucket.com/albums/o...WIFI%20System/
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:32 PM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I would contact EVDO Alex at 3Gstore.com. He is an honorary member of MOC for all the help he gives us. He can help you for sure.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 04:06 PM   #8
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Kathy and Dave I think you are asking about connecting to Park WiFi hot spots and other places.

These are the results from the USB adapters I use for that purpose.

For anyone still interested in USB Adapters. Here are the results of the unscientific test I did for four different adapters. My test was done as an average guy using the signal percentage shown in the utility program provided with each adapter. I am not an expert and I don't have hi-tech equipment. I probably tested just as you would do at home or in your RV.
My test was done during mid day and the weather was clear and sunny. The distance was about 3/4 mile without any obstructions across a valley and stream to a friends Linksys router connected to a dish.

I used a 16dbi PacWireless flat panel antenna for the Alpha and Wireless Lan USB Adapter aimed through a double pane window.

Alpha 500mW USB Adapter Mod# AWUS036H:
6' USB cable supplied with adapter---80% signal strength
10' USB extension cable non-amplified---78% signal stength
17' Amplified USB extension cable---78% signal strength

Wireless Lan USB Adapter:
10' USB extension cable non-amplified---49% signal stength
17' Amplified USB extension cable---46% signal strength

O2 200mW Connect 15db USB Flat Panel with built in adapter:
15' attached USB cable---56% signal strength

Hawking HWU8DD 8dbi Adapter:
5' attached USB cable---23%

What was clear to me was the 500mW adapter made for a stronger signal and faster web page loading. The Alpha is not the only 500mW adapter available. I would think most any of the 500mW adapters connected to an external high gain antenna Omni,flat panel,or other, you could expect good results. There are also boosters available where you can connect to an adapter to increase power. http://www.wifi-link.com/product.php...&class2_id=392

I hope this might be of some help if you are interested in USB WiFi Adapters. JB

Read the rest of the thread for other information that might be helpful and check out the links.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...99&whichpage=2
Old 07-13-2009, 04:28 PM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
You could build your own:

Tin Can Antenna

Pringles Can Antenna

Or buy one already made:

Cantenna
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:06 AM   #10
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Take a look here
http://www.jefatech.com/category/a050/
We have the long range kit with repeater and it works good. In most cases an external antenna will do wonders but you still have another cable hooked to the computer and getting tangled up. With the repeater the cable from the antenna hooks to the repeater and transmits wirelessly to the computer, the repeater also boosts the signal.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:25 AM   #11
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Charlie can you give some more details on the repeater you use. The name and maybe a website to check it out. I am always interested in these things and like to experiment with them.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:45 PM   #12
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Sorry Joe,
I changed the link to the home page. If you click on "Long range wifi repeater kit for rv's" that is what we have. I have the standard antenna mounted on an adjustable length pole on the rear ladder. I have not had a usb external antenna to compare it to but I like being able to hook up wireless to the repeater.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:38 PM   #13
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 8.1al

Take a look here
http://www.jefatech.com/category/a050/
We have the long range kit with repeater and it works good....
So Charlie, is this the same unit you had in Quartzsite? Did they correct their little problem with connections to Vista?

I always thought this was a neat system.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 04:42 AM   #14
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Carl,
It took a long time but they finally fixed the security problem they had with Vista
Old 07-16-2009, 10:02 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Charlie, I take it you are able to pick up a usable wifi signal with the repeater that you cannot otherwise pick up inside your rig? I had thought it unlikely a repeater could pick up a signal that a laptop could not pick up at the same distance. So the height must make the difference?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:12 PM   #16
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Steve,
I think that if the computer and the repeater have equal outside antenna's they will get the same signals. The repeater will amplify the signal coming and going, plus I like that I don't have that extra cord hooked to my computer. Just having an antenna outside helps and having one up in the air over the top of the trailer helps even more.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:13 PM   #17
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Charlie, I take it you are able to pick up a usable wifi signal with the repeater that you cannot otherwise pick up inside your rig? I had thought it unlikely a repeater could pick up a signal that a laptop could not pick up at the same distance. So the height must make the difference?
Steve,
The height of an antenna can help if it gets it above objects giving you a better line of sight with the WIFI antenna. But more important it is outside the walls of your trailer which will attenuate the signal. Plus the repeater lets your signal be stronger at the WIFI antenna.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:24 PM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Charlie, I should have been more clear. Sorry. I was thinking of a computer without an external antenna, like my laptop which has its antenna within, I think, the frame around the monitor. Reason I ask is I was a little surprised the repeater could pick up the signal when the laptop couldn't unless the height of the repeater made the difference. Thanks.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:16 PM   #19
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Steve: Charlie's setup has the antenna outside and up high on the ladder. It is cabled to the router inside the trailer. It consequently gets a better wifi signal than the laptop (hindered by obstacles and walls). If the laptop and the antenna were in the same location, there wouldn't be much difference in reception. But Charlie has rarely been seen up on his roof. I hope this clarifies the setup.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:04 AM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, John and Butch. John, your reply must have come in while I had this page just sitting here for awhile.