Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2009, 02:54 AM   #1
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
Cell phone antenna to Trailer outet ?

Is it possible to make an adapter to allow my outside cell phone antenna to connect to a trailer's outside phone outlet. We then would need an adapter to go from the phone outlet inside our trailer to our cell phones.

OR......is the trailer phone wiring even adequate ?

G McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:44 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Good question and one that I will be interested in reading some knowledgable replies.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 04:20 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
NO
Your Cell phone antenna uses COAX and your telephone jack is "Cat 5". These are like apples and oranges in comparison. The COAX needs a set impedance (resistance for radio frequency) which is either 50 or 75 ohms. The Cat 5 wire is four wires that are not designed with that in mind.

They do not make a bulkhead connector for the special cell antenna connector. I wanted to replace the phone jack with a bulkhead connection so I could screw my outside antenna onto it and then connect inside. Currently I run the coax for the outside antenna up the hole under the carpet for the slide out. It uses more coax and prevents me from getting the antenna as high as I would like.

I hope this helps.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by G McCall

Is it possible to make an adapter to allow my outside cell phone antenna to connect to a trailer's outside phone outlet. We then would need an adapter to go from the phone outlet inside our trailer to our cell phones.

OR......is the trailer phone wiring even adequate ?
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 04:33 AM   #4
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
I thought the cables would not be the same. different sizes.

Still, it would not be that hard to make a connector through the wall etc as I did my Satellite connector. My trailer did not have a Satellite outlet.

Of course running the cell phone antenna cable through a slideouts many holes is easy enough. I will need to get more antenna wire though.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:36 AM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
It is not a matter of cabling adapters, it's a matter of completely different technology, electronics and function. It's worse than apples and oranges, more like zucchini and spark plugs - completely unrelated.

I'm afraid the phone jack uses something completely different.

Maybe you are wanting something else. What are you trying to accomplish? Are you trying to improve your signal? Can you describe what your goal is? There might be other options if you can describe your problem. I hope we can help.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:15 AM   #6
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

It is not a matter of cabling adapters, it's a matter of completely different technology, electronics and function. It's worse than apples and oranges, more like zucchini and spark plugs - completely unrelated.

I'm afraid the phone jack uses something completely different.

Maybe you are wanting something else. What are you trying to accomplish? Are you trying to improve your signal? Can you describe what your goal is? There might be other options if you can describe your problem. I hope we can help.

I had the thought of using the phone jack of my RV for my cell phone outside antenna. Of course with the different technology, no adapter is possible. However, with the many "holes" of the slideouts, I should be able to run a cell phone antenna wire inside the trailer with no problem
Old 07-13-2009, 08:28 AM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
yup, you got it. I hope you can find a convenient place for the antenna. You will want it as high up the trailer as possible. Maybe mount to the ladder if you have enough wire, then into the rig somehow.

Keep us posted on your solution. Us MOCers always love hearing other persons' modifications and solutions, large or small.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:13 AM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
If it were me, I'd find an old cell phone with the same type connector as on my present phone.(I have a lot of old cell phones laying around) I would take the antenna connector off, then find a cell phone antenna cable long enough to go through to the service compartment. With the antenna jack from the old phone, I'd see about manufacturing a mount, or even through the wall. Imagination is needed here. Having soldered some many pieces of less than 1/8 inch RF cable to BNC connectors, I would not hesitate to solder the cell phone wire to the connector after it was threaded through to the service compartment. There are many varying ways that an adapter can be fabricated.

Or you may find something here: Cell Phone Antenna Adapters
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:51 AM   #9
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
What we did was to purchase a Wilson Antenna with coax attached. We mounted it on a quick disconnect (that allows us to take it down when traveling) that we attached to the top of the ladder. The first time we installed it, I inserted the coax between the seal and the living room slideout and pulled it inside, then ran the slideout the rest of the way out. We also purchased an adapter for our cell phone's antenna jack (not all cell phones have this jack) that we connected to the end of the coax. Surprisingly, we could get signals when there were none to be seen with the cell phone by itself.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:08 PM   #10
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
On a related note...
I want to run Ethernet cabling into the Monty. I need RJ-45 connectors and CAT5 (or 6) cable. The phone jack in our desk/TV/fireplace slide has a standard telephone RJ-11 connector in it. By the way, the wire isn't CAT5, it's just old-fashioned 2- or 4-conductor "Bell" telephone wire. I would like to replace the jack and wire, if possible, but I haven't been able to source the outdoor jack. Any ideas?
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:20 PM   #11
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Hey Dave,

Are you looking to just have an RJ45 ethernet connection at an outside wall which then provides an interior RJ45 ethernet? This site provides all kinds of connections, covers, etc. that might solve your problem. Look around and let me know if this helps:

http://www.l-com.com/home.aspx

I don't know if you could retrofit it into your existing phone jack, but it might be a start.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:28 PM   #12
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
Hey, Art. That's exactly what I'm looking for, other than a more elaborate setup that I've posted about on the Internet and Cell phone area. I want to run a wire in from an existing router and get a wired connection inside the Monty. It's for parking at home or at the in-laws for days at a time.
I didn't see anything in the link that helped. However, weatherproof duplex receptacle covers are very easy to find - does anybody make an RJ-45 receptacle in the duplex format...maybe Decora? Hmmm....
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:57 PM   #13
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I have been planning to remove the phone jack and replace it with a "port hole" that could be used for a variety of wires and cables that seem to need routing outdoors for best performance. (Sat. radio for one). That way you would avoid the losses that are associated with connectors and extension wires.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:20 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
G McCall, I wanted to replace the phone jacks with some other connector for an outside antenna but was told each connection point would weaken the signal. With having to connect it on both sides of the wall it likely would negate the advantage of the antenna significantly.

So, I removed the wall plates on both sides, pulled out the entire phone connection hardware so all I had was a round hole in the wall. I then put new wallplates on each side, the kind with just a small hole in them. When not on the road I can run the antenna wire through that hole. When on the road, the hole is capped. I wrapped the antenna cable at the point it goes into the rig with enough duct tape to cause a tight fit of the cable to the hole. I also loop/dip the antenna cable just outside the hole so water drops off at that point and doesn't try to get into the rig. Just to make sure, I also wrap a twist tie at that point with enough hanging down to give water a path. We've only used the antenna a few times but so far so good. I think I have some pictures. If I can find them I'll edit and add them to this post.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:23 AM   #15
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
Well we know that the wires are totally different in their electronic design, so kmow adapter would work properly. The option would be to add a proper wire outlet to the side of the trailer or just run it through a slideout area as some described here. I was already using an outside magnet mount cellphone antenna with good results, but have to run it through a window or slideout etc. FYI The better (less reception loss) cellphone antenna wire is larger in diameter and leaves an air gap running it through a window.

One thing I did see was the fact that Wilson Electronics makes a wireless cellphone signal booster that runs off OHM 750 cable wiring. If that is the case it should run off an RV TV Cable outlet. Look it up. This $$ device would seemingly solve all cell phone problems and you might be able to use any cell phone inside your Rv and not just one hooked to wires.
Also this devise would allow you to use a cell phone that does not have an external antenna outlet. However, the $ 600 + price for the wireless booster not within my budget.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:41 AM   #16
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I have one at the house.
It uses coax adapters to adapt the "N" connectors down to the "FNE" (I believe that is there style name) connectors. If you use 75 Ohm cable make sure it is the high quality that is used for Satellite RG 6. You need to research the coaxes, because different types with the same style name have different losses per foot.

If you are not comfortable with coax, etc. you can induce greater loss and defeat your purpose.

Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote