Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > Archived - MOC WEB SITE & COMPUTER TECH HELP > Archived MOC Geek Squad
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2007, 03:13 PM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Internet access

I got tired of fighting it and bought the Virizon air card dealie.
Fast!, thought I would try dial up on a phone line I just had put in....can't even get on it. I was down to my last nerve, so off to Brownsville I went, got the little Green light blinking deal with the tiny antenna. Works like a charm
When we get back home....when we have to go home, I will cancel Roadrunner and stay with this. it works, I'm happy.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 03:43 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
we like it, too. It's not that fast everywhere. Yet. But Verizon is expanding the broadband pretty quickly and has coverage at lower (but still decent) speeds everywhere else. We've had broadband speeds in unexpected places. If you ever get where you have a very weak verizon signal, the 3 watt booster helps a lot.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 03:49 PM   #3
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We like it, too. We canceled our Comcast cable system after starting to use the Verizon air card and dont miss the cable at all. We have found very few spots without access.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 06:38 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
When I am at my home base, I am under a metal roof. How does you Verizon card work under this kind of condition? I am also in a marginal Verizon phone service area. What kind of gain do you get with a booster? Does your booster serve a single computer or a multiple unit networks?
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 10:10 PM   #5
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Stiles, I would try an exterior antenna with an adapter to plug into the aircard. I got "permanent" antenna that can bolt onto the rear ladder of the Monty and a "magnet" mount antenna for the truck. Each antenna was about $40. At home, if you are under a metal roof, try the "mag" mount antenna. You can try an amplifier, but you are looking at $300-400.

I had Comcast, but canceled it in anticipation of moving and ordered the Verizon Aircard, Linksys router and antennas. Since our move was canceled, I wired up the router in the stick house with 2 desktop computers, all-in-one printer and wireless laptop. I get about 1300Kbs D/L and 700Kbs U/L. It is not as fast as Comcast but only $7-8 more per month and I can use it at home or take it on the road. I haven't tried it on the road yet, but others seem to be very happy with it.

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 01:57 AM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Ozz,

I think you will be very happy with your choice. We have had a similar card for several years and love it. There are very few places it does not work. And has been pointed out they are improving all the time. Even when we're in Quartzsite we are able to make a connection. We do not use an amplifier or any other extension device. When we are just overnighting we'll often use the air card vs setting up the DirecWay Satellite.

Anyway you'll enjoy it. When we got the card we got rid of our DSL line. Been happy with it since.

Enjoy your new toy and see you on down the road.

Dennis (HamRad)
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 12:46 AM   #7
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
We have really enjoyed our Verizon Air card as well, however, you need to know that if you are close to an international border you may want to make sure you are ONLY on the USA network, not roaming across the border. I had a serious problem with this up in Canada, to the tune of $1000 in roaming charges, $700 of which Verizon waived but only after they investigated it from their headquarters investigations group. Verizon claims that if you are roaming you will see a little triangle in blue or red depending on the network, red being expensive roaming, blue being extended network which you may or maynot have included in your package. Just make sure you understand the rules and how to figure out if you are roaming. It is actually hard because if you are on line the VZAccess Manager is hidden. Enjoy anyway but be careful. John
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 01:26 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Ouch! John, we are about 1/2 mile across the water from Mexico, I better look into that! Thanks for the heads up.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:43 AM   #9
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
I have the Verizon air card supplied by my employer Works well most places and faster than dial-up!
mtpocket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:54 AM   #10
SAndreasen
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1918
We have the Verizon National Access Wireless air card, a KR-1 Router which the air card plugs into and a SmoothTalker amp. Everything works GREAT! We, too, cancelled our local ISP.
SAndreasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 04:55 AM   #11
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

When I am at my home base, I am under a metal roof. How does you Verizon card work under this kind of condition? I am also in a marginal Verizon phone service area. What kind of gain do you get with a booster? Does your booster serve a single computer or a multiple unit networks?
The out side antenna will improve your receive signal. The higher you can get it (within reason) the better. These signals work off the "line of sight" principle. The transmit basically in a straight line. So getting your antenna higher helps "see" the cell tower better.
The Amplifier (booster) works primarily on transmit. It lets your sending signal go farther so the cell tower can hear you.
As stated I suggest starting with an outside antenna and then if you have a good signal indication but poor performance or drop outs then add the amplifier. The amplifier does require an external 12 volt power source which may come with it.
The configuration that was recommend to me is similar to what I understand Steve R. is using. The Verison card into a router which then connects to the computer with cable or WI-FI.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:39 AM   #12
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Stiles,

I am sitting in my Lazy Boy with Bob's laptop on my lap. I can't answer about the Verizon air card, but can on the Cingular (AT&T). We have a solid rock house (interior and exterior)walls and a metal roof. I do not have an outside antenna and do not have problems with reception. Not sure if another antennna would boost our speed up or not.

We travelled from Austin Texas to Gatlingburg Tennesse and did not have any problems with getting a signal even in the Smokey Mountains.

Ozz,

I don't use my land line ISP much anymore as the aircard is so much faster. Glad to know about the roaming charges as well. I need to check with Cingular.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 03:20 AM   #13
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
We just bought the Verizon Air Card and are very pleased with its performance. Also, I was very impressed with Verizon's Customer Service. I chose Verizon mostly because they would let me suspend the service while we are at home in Canada, but other similar services may be just as good. I think this technology has satellites, WiFi and other means of remote connection beaten, unless you are in a really remote area with no cell service.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:06 AM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Besides, they have that nerdy looking guy and all those people following you around...
As I work on this post, they are all standing around the trailer, Sue offered them Coffee, but they said they aren't allowed to partake while I'm on line...