Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2008, 09:58 PM   #1
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Basement Plumbing

Here's a question I'd really like to know.
On a 3400RL 2008 down in the basement how do you protect the vertical plumbing? Iam try to figure out a way to keep anything from sliding into it. The vertical pipes are about 2" away from the bulkhead and flexible. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks, Jack

jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:09 AM   #2
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I had a sheet metal cover made to protect mine, but I have a 3670 so do not know if it is the same situation as yours.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 08:57 AM   #3
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Protect the plumbing from what? I don't have anything in there that would move around enough to hurt the plumbing. If I think something will move, a few bungy cords take care of it.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:37 PM   #4
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TLightning

Protect the plumbing from what? I don't have anything in there that would move around enough to hurt the plumbing. If I think something will move, a few bungy cords take care of it.
It wouldn't worry me if it wasn't for that gap between the pipes an the bulk head.Any thing loose could crack or break'em Iam containing everything in plastic containers.I can just grab those pipes and they flex very easy.
Jack
Old 01-20-2008, 06:12 PM   #5
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Just do it like I do..........Put so much juke down there, Nothing can move. lol

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:22 PM   #6
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
I had 3 solutions - 1. JH stole my suggestion. Fill it full and nothing can move. 2. I carry a ladder and it is up against my pipes and itself becomes a barrier. 3. create a block (or two) with a flat side and rounded side and wedge between pipe and basement wall. Anchor the wedges and the pipe will be better stablized.
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:37 PM   #7
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Icehouse

I had 3 solutions - 1. JH stole my suggestion. Fill it full and nothing can move. 2. I carry a ladder and it is up against my pipes and itself becomes a barrier. 3. create a block (or two) with a flat side and rounded side and wedge between pipe and basement wall. Anchor the wedges and the pipe will be better stablized.
I think you're right,I'll wedge a block between the pipe and wall and than load up the basement against the other side of the pipe.
Thanks, Jack

Author Topic
jjackflash
MOC Enthusiast

MOC-7787

USA
65 Posts
Posted - Jan 20 2008 : 04:58:11 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a question I'd really like to know.
On a 3400RL 2008 down in the basement how do you protect the vertical plumbing? Iam try to figure out a way to keep anything from sliding into it. The vertical pipes are about 2" away from the bulkhead and flexible. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks, Jack

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2007 GMC 3500 D/A CrewCab Long Bed Dually,Line X,Aux Tank,18K Signature Hitch,XM,Garmin 650.
2008 3400RL
Jack & Terry Retired with Littermates
Maggie & Rosie our beautiful Chocolate & Yellow Labs.

DHenry
MOC Fanatic

MOC-496

USA
3304 Posts
Posted - Jan 20 2008 : 11:09:17 AM

I had a sheet metal cover made to protect mine, but I have a 3670 so do not know if it is the same situation as yours.

Doug and Sharon
Lexi (our Cockapoo)
2004 3670RL
2002 Chevy 2500HD Ext. Cab. 4X4

TLightning
MOC Devotee

MOC-7871

USA
165 Posts
Posted - Jan 20 2008 : 3:57:45 PM

Tom
2007 3400RL
2007 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW D/A CC

jjackflash
MOC Enthusiast

MOC-7787

USA
65 Posts
Posted - Jan 20 2008 : 10:37:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by TLightning

It wouldn't worry me if it wasn't for that gap between the pipes an the bulk head.Any thing loose could crack or break'em Iam containing everything in plastic containers.I can just grab those pipes and they flex very easy.
Jack

2007 GMC 3500 D/A CrewCab Long Bed Dually,Line X,Aux Tank,18K Signature Hitch,XM,Garmin 650.
2008 3400RL
Jack & Terry Retired with Littermates
Maggie & Rosie our beautiful Chocolate & Yellow Labs.

JH Sechelt
MOC Addict

MOC-4976

Canada
880 Posts
Posted - Jan 21 2008 : 01:12:21 AM

Just do it like I do..........Put so much juke down there, Nothing can move. lol

J&D

Montana Modifications

John & Dawn

Sunshine Coast, British Columbia
2006 2980RL &
2005 F350 Lariet, Crewcab
Shortbox Powerstroke 4X4

Icehouse
Old 01-22-2008, 06:33 PM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Jack- You could put some large plastic conduit/pipe cut in half and "C" clamp it to the bulkhead also but the wood wedges sounds good too! I guess I never thought about them that much! I guess next time I'm out to my 2980 I'll have to check for the pipes like you discribe! Thanks a lot-- now I have something else to check this spring when I get back out to the Monte! LOL
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:22 AM   #9
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
I have often wondered about the basement plumbing, especially the vertical pipe. Seems like if you had some very heavy items that shifted fast they could damage the plastic pipe. I need a solution too.
RKassl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:42 AM   #10
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Jjflash,

We have an 02 year model 3295 and lots of plumbing things sticking down in our basement area. Have not worried about it and have had no problems in the 6 years we've towed it! Now you have me worrying. For whatever reason we don't get a lot of bounce in that area.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 04:30 PM   #11
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rondo

Jack- You could put some large plastic conduit/pipe cut in half and "C" clamp it to the bulkhead also but the wood wedges sounds good too! I guess I never thought about them that much! I guess next time I'm out to my 2980 I'll have to check for the pipes like you discribe! Thanks a lot-- now I have something else to check this spring when I get back out to the Monte! LOL
Thanks Ron,I like the conduit idea it sounds like a clean looking solution.
Jack
Old 01-27-2008, 07:07 PM   #12
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
No problem Jack! If you want to protect the pipes the conduit would be the easiest to me! Like I said earlier, now I have something else to check when I get back out to my Monte this spring! I'm hoping to get out before spring, however, we kind of want to make it to The Rally down in Perry, GA in March. I'll have to do a lot to the Monte before we leave so I hope we will have some warm weather before then but that is pretty well in the negative here in Nebraska this time of year! LOL Send us some of that California warm stuff will you??!?? Let me know how things work out with the plumbing in the basement and if you're ever around Omaha drop us an email and we'll hook up somewhere!!Ron
Old 01-28-2008, 04:42 AM   #13
kegger5769
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4412
I have a 2006 3400RL and I mounted some 1 x 2 wood strips on the floor to keep the heavy things from hitting the pipes. I have most of my stuff on the plastic crates so I mounted the 1 x 2 far enough from the pipes so the crates just miss making contact with the pipes, this also leaves the area between the pipes open for storage on smaller items like boots, hoses etc.
Kim
kegger5769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:32 PM   #14
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rondo

No problem Jack! If you want to protect the pipes the conduit would be the easiest to me! Like I said earlier, now I have something else to check when I get back out to my Monte this spring! I'm hoping to get out before spring, however, we kind of want to make it to The Rally down in Perry, GA in March. I'll have to do a lot to the Monte before we leave so I hope we will have some warm weather before then but that is pretty well in the negative here in Nebraska this time of year! LOL Send us some of that California warm stuff will you??!?? Let me know how things work out with the plumbing in the basement and if you're ever around Omaha drop us an email and we'll hook up somewhere!!Ron
Thanks again Ron,this is our first 5er and won't be able to take it out until Spring we're hoping to make the Rally in AZ.
I, like you have quite a few things I want to install on the trailer one being a set of JT's,have you had any experience with these?
Just parked in the driveway we get quite a bit of movement when our two 80lb. Labs move around.
We live in the High Desert here in California,right now 40 degree's in the daytime and 25 degree's at night,for us that's cold I would imagine warm for you guys.
Do the same if you're ever around San Bernardino area!
Take Care, Jack
Old 01-30-2008, 03:46 AM   #15
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Good Morning! Well the weather here was around 50 two days ago and yesterday a front came through and it dropped to the single digits with a windchill of -25 with blowing and drifting snow! Suppose to get more snow today and tomarrow! Kind of wish I had hooked up to the Monte and headed South! In response to the JT stabilizer-- no I havaen't got any experiencewith them but I have been looking into them and also the ones from Winfield RV Products. They don't have any for the rear stabilizers yet but are supposedly working on them. The front ones form an X between the front arms or supports and supposedly do just the same as JT's. There was a thread on them from someone that had been to a rally or gathering somewhere out West by you and they really liked them. You can check them out by going to:
ww.winfieldrvproducts.com
They are about half the price of the JT's but you don't get the rear bars like the JT's however. Watched the video and they seem to be pretty good. Don't know which way to go. The Winfield seems to be easier to install however!
Well got to go! Have to do some shopping for ice melt! LOL)
Take care and keep intouch. If you want to just email me, my email address is ronmar3@cox.net

Ron
Old 01-30-2008, 07:34 PM   #16
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Thanks Ron,same here, stay warm! jjackflash@verizon.net
Jack