Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2004, 04:04 PM   #1
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Bike Rack

Maybe this is too late to ask, but we just bought a new 2980RL and I see in the FAQs on the Montana website that the frame is not made to have any kind of hitch attached, even for a bike rack. We very often take our tandem bike with us when on the road. With our travel trailer this was no problem as it went in the bed of the truck. I thought I would be able to put a frame hitch on the back of the FW and mount a bike rack for the tandem.

Any thoughts out there about this? Has anyone else put a bike rack on? I don't really want to hang an 8' long tandem from the ladder! Thanks for the help.

Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 04:39 PM   #2
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116

Ski rack style on top of the truck? But watch for paint rubs.
I thought of mounting one this way with the rear supports held in the forward most pockets in the side of the bed and the front ones anchored to the front of the truck some way ala boat carrier.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 04:53 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bill and Shari, some folks have welded a hitch to the frame anyhow. But, as you know, that effectively voids the warranty.

For 18 months we carried two bikes on a ladder rack and never had a problem with the ladder. I've seen how they're attached and would not expect a problem. Plus, when I asked Keystone, they told me no problem doing that and that the mounts are plenty strong. We took the bikes off and stored them because we only rode them twice in that 18 months and they do make it difficult to get up on the roof.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 01:56 AM   #4
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
We have quick-release wheels on our bikes. Once we take the wheels off, they easily fit in the front lockers and are out of the weather.

RC and Samantha carry their mountain bikes in the back of their truck, across the width, just behind the cab, and that is in a short box truck.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 03:41 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The new Montana brochure implies there's room for a frame hitch rack behind the truck and it won't crash into the Montana. I don't know if that's just the new models and don't know if that's what the brochure is really saying. Might be worth a little measuring to find out, though.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 03:58 AM   #6
contau lake
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2222
We've carried our bikes in the back of a short box as well and it worked out o'kay. The problem is that they are difficult to access if you chose to use them while your travelling. We often do a lot of dry-camping on our return trip from Texas and found it a pain to reassemble the bike for a one day use. We have just purchased a ladder mount and hopefully it will be better...time will tell.
contau lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 10:04 PM   #7
Montana_2004

M.O.C. #2004
We've seen a bike carrier mounted to the front above the pin. I'm too short and would never be able to get them down. We had a receiver installed to the back of our 2001 3295RK. It seems to work for some people. Our error was that the piece fitting into the receiver that held the bikes was too long and they bounced too much. We also have a 2" receiver on the back of our FL60. We bought one of those metal carriers from Camping World and we have great clearance. We don't carry the bikes there but we could. (So it is used to carry the blueboy or ice chests, etc.) We haven't ridden them in a while so they are up for sale. Best of luck.

Carolyn
Montana_2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 07:32 AM   #8
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
I have a front mounted hitch on my truck.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 10:34 AM   #9
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
You can get a front mounted receiver from J.C.Whitney for a reasonable price.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 03:55 PM   #10
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
We used the ladder to haul two bikes around for a few months (6 or so) as full timers and finally decided to get a hitch put on...just didn't think the ladder was up to it for a full time situation. Had hitch put on at a dealer, and it was OK for about 3K miles, until we hit I-10 west of New Orleans...hitch "failed" and bent downwards 20 degrees or so due to really rough road. Had another place look at it and the wielder said "Who the H--- did this sh--ty job? He then put a new one on, adding a crosswise brace similar to one I saw mentioned in this Forum a year or so ago. No damage to the rig at all.

It is really more a matter of liability than warranty. If someone is dumb enough to haul a big trailer or large anything using that hitch and an accident ensues, Keystone is clear..."We don't recommend a hitch". There is an excellent description of one posted in the Forum a year or so ago...check it out.

All that being said, unless you are a full timer, and the bike is really heavy, a ladder mount should suffice quite well, even for a heavier "tandem" bike. I wouldn't go the route of the hitch add-on unless you are going to get a LOT of use out of it, and just for bike(s).

Just my opinion, best regards,
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 03:16 PM   #11
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
My dealer said he could not install a hit on our 3400 RL, but would give me the name of a good welder who would install a platform hitch for about $300. He said that the unit would definitly support the hitch, it is just that Keystone does not want to be held liable for improper usage.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 01:13 AM   #12
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
We mount our bikes on the ladder with no problem
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote