Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2013, 06:13 AM   #1
Samiterry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13257
Vent fan

I'm wanting to install a fantastic vent fan in the bedroom vent opening but other than the lights in the ceiling controlled by a wall switch there's no other 12V supply. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get 12V power to the vent opening? The fan is wireless remote controlled.

Samiterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:46 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Could try to fish it across from the 12v outlet for the TV.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:51 AM   #3
Samiterry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13257
The 12V outlet for the TV is in the slide.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:36 AM   #4
GreatWhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13339
It MIGHT be prewired.. worth a check by dropping the trim to see. Also, in mine, the "plumbing" for the BR A/C is very close to the vent.
GreatWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:38 AM   #5
Denfinger
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13210
Well, here is what we did very carefully from the wall switch by the bedroom door. We disconnected the wires for the lights, taped it to a 3 pair cable (certified for 20 volts) and pulled it carefully through the ceiling to the first light which was between the bathroom and the vent box. Then fished it the rest of the way to the box. We used one pair to reconnect the lights back up, we used the other pair to drive the thermostat and AC we needed to make our bedroom AC a real one and have a spare pair unused. So that is how we brought 12 volts to the vent area.

You just have to go slow to make sure your fished wire does not pull apart from your current wire. We used really good tape. or go tapeless and actually solder the wires together which keeps them thinner with NO tape and then cut it all apart once fished.

My wife and I did this in about an hour and a half. Best thing we every did to add value to the fiver and make our second AC contolled by a thermostat in the bedroom.

One other quick thought. Since the bathroom is most likely connected to you bedroom, thoughts of just replaceing that fan with the fantastic fan and leave the door between the rooms partly open if you do not want to go to all this trouble. The 12 volts is already there for that.
Denfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:37 AM   #6
Samiterry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13257
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by GreatWhite

It MIGHT be prewired.. worth a check by dropping the trim to see. Also, in mine, the "plumbing" for the BR A/C is very close to the vent.
Not prewired. Already checked.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #7
Samiterry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13257
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Denfinger

Well, here is what we did very carefully from the wall switch by the bedroom door. We disconnected the wires for the lights, taped it to a 3 pair cable (certified for 20 volts) and pulled it carefully through the ceiling to the first light which was between the bathroom and the vent box. Then fished it the rest of the way to the box. We used one pair to reconnect the lights back up, we used the other pair to drive the thermostat and AC we needed to make our bedroom AC a real one and have a spare pair unused. So that is how we brought 12 volts to the vent area.

You just have to go slow to make sure your fished wire does not pull apart from your current wire. We used really good tape. or go tapeless and actually solder the wires together which keeps them thinner with NO tape and then cut it all apart once fished.

My wife and I did this in about an hour and a half. Best thing we every did to add value to the fiver and make our second AC contolled by a thermostat in the bedroom.

One other quick thought. Since the bathroom is most likely connected to you bedroom, thoughts of just replaceing that fan with the fantastic fan and leave the door between the rooms partly open if you do not want to go to all this trouble. The 12 volts is already there for that.
I'm gonna assume u have a 3750FL. I like your idea getting the 12V off the light switch, however, I don't need to add another thermostat, just get 12V up to vent opening. Is pretty much a straight pull from the switch to the first light?
Old 08-06-2013, 10:31 AM   #8
Denfinger
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13210
We have a 2012 295RKS but most Montanas are pretty much teh same on ceiling wire.

Before you start, undo the wall swith and we had about 2 feet of extra wire behind it down inside the wall. Then undo your ceiling light which is closest. Our was between the bathroom and the vent opening. Once you loosen or remove that light, pull gently on the wire and see how easy it pulls some of the slack behind the wall switch. If it moves easily that is a good sign you can fish the wire pretty easily through the ceiling. If the wire is hard to pull back and forth, it may be risky. Ours was easy, so we went for it. You can do that much before you go and buy the wire to fish it and see if you are a good candidate for this solution. From our first light between the bathroom and the vent fan, we had another 3 feet to go. We used a short fish wire to run it through the ceiling and catch the wire to take it all the way to the vent box. The center of the metal beams in the ceiling has an oval hole in it for running cables, etc... Worked fine.

Soldering the wire ends together on your old wire and the new wire you are fishing, will prevent them from separating during the fishing process. It does go up through a piece of wood at the top of the wall above the wall switch so you have to keep the joint thin to get through that hole. The replacement wire was the same size as the Keystone wire which helped it fish through the holes easily.

Good luck on this great project.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:44 PM   #9
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
My 3750 came with a fantastic vent in the bedroom
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:56 AM   #10
Samiterry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13257
Denfinger,
Just to let you know, I finished the rear fantastic fan project. Followed your advice and it was easy peazy. Wires pulled in without any problems by myself. With 3 fans going we'll have all kinds of air coming in the windows. Thanks for your help.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:57 AM   #11
Denfinger
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13210
That is "Fantastic" news. No pun intended. Glad I was able to help. My wife and I designed this project (updating Manual AC to a Thermostat one) and the 12 volt wiring was critical to it. Glad you were able to use the advice. GREAT JOB!!!!!!