Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2012, 01:24 AM   #21
snowhawk2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10557
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by billc1949

I have been thinking of upgrading to a one ton Ford or Ram DRW, however, looking at their sites, the max towing capacity that many go them have is 13,000. I thought the dually's are supposed to pull a lot more than that. Am I not looking at the right information. Any help would be appreciated.

Bill C
I can't imagine a dually from any mfg. have a towing capacity of only 13k, in any configuration. When I first saw your post I was wondering if you number was referring to GVWR, and on the Ford, that number is 13,300. I have a 2011 Ford dually with the 6.7 and I can tow a fiver up to 21,500 with a combined weight rating of 30,000. I have weighed my truck loaded and it weights around 9K so in theory, I could tow a fiver up to 21k and still be within specs. good luck with your search. Once you have a dually as a tow vehicle you will understand better why you see so many in campgrounds. They are awesome to tow with.

snowhawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:11 AM   #22
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by snowhawk2

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by billc1949

I have been thinking of upgrading to a one ton Ford or Ram DRW, however, looking at their sites, the max towing capacity that many go them have is 13,000. I thought the dually's are supposed to pull a lot more than that. Am I not looking at the right information. Any help would be appreciated.

Bill C
I can't imagine a dually from any mfg. have a towing capacity of only 13k, in any configuration. When I first saw your post I was wondering if you number was referring to GVWR, and on the Ford, that number is 13,300. I have a 2011 Ford dually with the 6.7 and I can tow a fiver up to 21,500 with a combined weight rating of 30,000. I have weighed my truck loaded and it weights around 9K so in theory, I could tow a fiver up to 21k and still be within specs. good luck with your search. Once you have a dually as a tow vehicle you will understand better why you see so many in campgrounds. They are awesome to tow with.
I have the same truck in a 2012 as shown above. The limiting factor on that 21k trailer is going to be the pin weight capcity of the truck. So if the pin weight was 25%, or 5,250 pounds, you would be over your tow rating for payload. My payload as per the camper certification is only 3,720 which is the weakest link for the numbers. Using the 25% number for pin weight, this puts me with a trailer weight of only 14,880 pounds towed safely.
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:22 AM   #23
Ren
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10954
Quote:
quote:

I have the same truck in a 2012 as shown above. The limiting factor on that 21k trailer is going to be the pin weight capcity of the truck. So if the pin weight was 25%, or 5,250 pounds, you would be over your tow rating for payload. My payload as per the camper certification is only 3,720 which is the weakest link for the numbers. Using the 25% number for pin weight, this puts me with a trailer weight of only 14,880 pounds towed safely.

It took me a while, but I now see what your saying. Your considering everything have a 25% ratio. I was looking at the Redwood and Blackwood 5ers ( I know, Im a sinner! LOL) and they have in thier specs the percent hitch weight usually 19 to 20 percent. Pretty nice information to know actually.

I never really thought of it the way you did, my camper cert is right around yours. The funny thing is when Diesel power mag did the rumble in the rockies test they had a 19000 ++ load. I dont recall the pin weight.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:33 AM   #24
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ren

Quote:
quote:

It took me a while, but I now see what your saying. Your considering everything have a 25% ratio. I was looking at the Redwood and Blackwood 5ers ( I know, Im a sinner! LOL) and they have in thier specs the percent hitch weight usually 19 to 20 percent. Pretty nice information to know actually.

I never really thought of it the way you did, my camper cert is right around yours. The funny thing is when Diesel power mag did the rumble in the rockies test they had a 19000 ++ load. I dont recall the pin weight.

Yeah, I just tried to have the constant be the 25%. Have to be careful of those stated pin weights though. My actual pin weight is almost 900 pounds heavier than the brochure stated weight and I have not done anything to the weight directly over the bed but do have the Onan in the basement.

I saw the Rumble. I think that was a goose neck if I'm not mistaken. They must find a way to get all the weight on the trailer and keep it off the pin for the testing?

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:35 AM   #25
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Lots of folks forget to subtract the PW that is sitting in the truck's bed from the weight of the RV they are going to tow.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote