Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2012, 10:07 AM   #21
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
For clarification:
My cheater description was meant for aids attached to the business end of the Q wrench, NOT to add length to the wrench to gain a mechanical advantage. Thus, my mention of the crowsfoot.
http://www.engineersedge.com/manufac...e_wrench_1.htm
Mike

pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:38 AM   #22
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
After the clarification, I agree Mike. Good info, in case someone else misunderstood as I obviously did. Between all the posts, a lot of good, relevant information nonetheless.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:37 PM   #23
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Okay, now you've gone over my head (like that's hard to do). I just rotate the dial to the right setting using the torque wrench and the proper size deep socket and fasten until it goes click ONCE using only arm strength. Then stop and move to the next correct position. No calculating, no breaker bars, no additional tools and no problems so far.

Actually, those were very reasonable points and make good sense to me. I love learning something new every day!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:16 AM   #24
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

Mike is correct in his belief, the length of the socket or of the socket extension has no effect on the calculation of the torque. However, the second part is not correct. If you use a cheater bar on a torque wrench, the wrench will still measure correctly, you just won't have to apply as much force. Simply put, if the wrench length is 1 foot, you apply 120 pounds of pressure to get 120 ft.lbs. If a one foot cheater bar is added, then you only have to apply 60 pounds of force to get the same 120 ft.lbs. on the lug nut. Torque = Length x Force.
Bingo
On edit: I do have to add that it is NOT recommended by any wrench manufacturer to use a cheater bar with a torque wrench.
Years ago, Sears premium torque wrench (a dial type) came with a cheater bar that plugged into the end of the wrench. I know because I have one.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:55 AM   #25
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.
Years ago, Sears premium torque wrench (a dial type) came with a cheater bar that plugged into the end of the wrench. I know because I have one.
That is an interesting feature Tom S., never heard of that, but of course you said "years ago" and you gotta remember I am holding at 29 years old, so that very possibly could have been before my time?? Wonder if they still make them?
Bingo
Old 03-14-2012, 06:06 AM   #26
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:

Quote:
That is an interesting feature Tom S., never heard of that, but of course you said "years ago" and you gotta remember I am holding at 29 years old, so that very possibly could have been before my time?? Wonder if they still make them?
Bingo
Nope, they were dropped several years back. They had a dial mounted in the center of the wrench and were neat because the dial had a second hand that moved with the torque reading needle and stayed after you let up, showing the torque reading. If I think about it, I'll take a picture of mine.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:19 AM   #27
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:

Quote:
Bingo
Bingo, I apologize. Old age must be working on me because when I just went out to take a picture of the torque wrench, I remembered I had to pitch it when I broke off the 1/2" drive. However, I did find one for sale on ebay and borrowed a picture of it:

BTW: Before anyone asks, Craftsman guaranties their tools for life - except torque wrenches. Which was why I ended up buying one off these to replace it:

(Which cost more than my first car, and almost as much as my second one!)
Old 03-17-2012, 11:03 AM   #28
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Still neat looking. Wonder if similar failures to yours is why they quit making them? Kind of like too much torque on the torque? Thanks for going to the trouble, so I could learn something.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.