Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2011, 08:16 AM   #1
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
Tires > UV / Dry Rot Prevention

I went out to check the pressure in my tires on my truck the other day and much to my surprise my 13 month old Michelin's were cracked all around the rims (all 4). These tires have been only about 5000 miles in a little over a year. The tires are rated for 70K. Michelin gave me 80% credit for new tires. Seemed to be pretty quick for this to happen. I've been reading about a product called 303 Aerospace Protectant. I'm going to give it a try as I have heard some comments regarding the product's use on canopies and plastics.

bighornram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:21 AM   #2
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
Using 303 on tires has been recommended for years. Their web site used to claim that it was the only product endorsed by tire manufacturers for UV protection. Most of the SOB tire treatments used to contain petroleum distillates which were harmful to the rubber but I think some have been modifying their contents to eliminate the distillates. 303 doesn't leave the high gloss appearance that other products do, but the UV protection is still being provided. It's used by some for the RV decals as well as canopies roof tops and slide toppers. Some feel that it washes off in the rain. I sent an email to 303 asking about this. Their response indicated surplus application will wash off but any that is absorbed into a surface will remain.
I use 303.

Dave
drsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:49 AM   #3
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
How sure are you that your tires are only 13 months old? Are you going by when you bought them or did you check the manufacturer's date on the tires?
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:00 AM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
The 303 protectant was given to me by the people at the Fantastic Fan booth at Perry, GA Rally several years ago. They gave me some packets to put on the gasket on the roof opening. It's worked great in keeping the gasket soft and pliable. I've got another bottle of it I purchase from the company and use it on all the rubber gaskets on the Monte, truck and even on the windshield wipers on the truck. Works great. I have not put it on the tires but now I will and give it a try!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:13 PM   #5
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

How sure are you that your tires are only 13 months old? Are you going by when you bought them or did you check the manufacturer's date on the tires?
My question, too, what was the build date on those tires?
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:20 PM   #6
alandaudrey
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9011
As I recall, didn't someone on this forum say sometime back that due to the chemicals used in the construction of "ST" tires that no tire conditioning product should be used on them because it could cause the sidewalls to fail prematurely.

I realize that many of you run "LT" tires on your rigs but I'm wondering about using this product on "ST" tires?
alandaudrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:06 PM   #7
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
My MH does not have ST tires, but does have "RV" tires...Goodyear Unisteel G670 RV 295/80R22.5s. They claim they have "anti-oxidants and anti-ozidant compounds to help guard against weather cracking." The manual also states "Goodyear tires do not require dressings, appearance products or covers to protect them."

That's all fine and dandy...but most of us cover them when outside.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:27 PM   #8
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
I use F21 made by Turtle wax, its suppose to have UV protectant in it. Although I used it on my old Wildcat 5er and my tires lasted 4 years before I had to replace them cause of all the cracks on the inside of the tires. I rarely put the F21 on the inside, but always coated the outside with it.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:38 AM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Bighornram,

Take a look at these Tire covers by RVShades. It may be a long term alternative to "303."
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:20 AM   #10
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

Bighornram,

Take a look at these Tire covers by RVShades. It may be a long term alternative to "303."
Thanks, just placed an order for a fabric sample pack from them

I didn't check the manufacture date of the tires so don't know the actual age of them.
bighornram is offline   Reply With Quote