Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2011, 12:59 PM   #1
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Chevy Aluminum Wheels.

For you Chevy 3500HD Lovers, GM has finally started installing the Polished Aluminum wheels instead of the plastic simlators. I question the Dealership about the Aluminum Wheels and would you believe GM actually put them on the last of the 2011's. Oh well I guess if you complain long enough they will make the change. I complained on all 4 go the GM 3500HDs that we have owned..

The down side is you can't rotate the tire excpt from side to side. I can live with that. The wheels really look nice (IMHO). They will be a little less work polishing them, vs the 22.5's that were on the Freightliner.

Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:51 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
GM has never been known for the "speedy" response to market changes. Look how long it took them to put 17" and 18" wheels on the SRW HD's. Especially when Ford had 20" wheels out for over 3 years when GM finally went to an 18" wheel. Wonder what other little model year changes you will find once your truck arrives Lindy.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:12 AM   #3
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
I am very happy with my 2011 3500SRW. We decided on 18" rims. This truck is built to tow!
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:38 AM   #4
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Montana Sky don't know for sure but a GM Rep same there want be any major changes, Grill and possibly the front Bumper. I sure hope they make no changes to the Duramax/Allison its awesome . This is the quickest 3500HD I have ever owned, stand on it and it when get up and go.. The only thing I wish they would change is add a gauge for the DEF, haven't had to add any fluid yet but will probably pick up a 2.5 gal from Wally World this week-end....
Old 06-30-2011, 11:46 AM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Lindy, I think they are moving the beer tap from the rear seats to the dash.!!!!! LOL Actually, I did not know the new ones had the DEF thing in them. Good to know.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:21 PM   #6
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
I also wish the default was "Exhaust Brake 'ON'". I forget to push the stupid little button sometimes. Maybe include it in the set-ups, like horn beeps, light flashes, etc. Then those of us to tow 90% of the time could set the default to ON, while others who hardly ever tow could set it to OFF.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:05 PM   #7
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
the dodge also has cooling seats .and a 120 volt plug on the dash.come on gm catch up.
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:00 AM   #8
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Don't know about Dodge but we could have got cooling seats on the 2012 Chevy 3500HD but would have had to give up the leather seats and that want happen.. There are some options I don't care for example the Nav system, can't believe what it cost to replace. But GM has On Star turn by turn system and of course we have the Garmin.

GM is always leading in the Drive train systems (Duramax/Allison) the only proven combo year after year. But some of the bells and whistles are behind Ford and Dodge. And when you add GMC/Chevy together GM is always leading in sells. But its different Strokes for different folks.. All three are great Trucks...
Old 07-02-2011, 12:48 PM   #9
2007dura
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2313
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Delaine and Lindy

Don't know about Dodge but we could have got cooling seats on the 2012 Chevy 3500HD but would have had to give up the leather seats and that want happen..
Why couldn't you get leather cooled seats? GMC's are leather. I have never seen anything but leather cooled seats. What is Chevy using instead of leather? The dealer I talked to didn't know about cooled seats being offered on Chevy, said on GMC, I will have to ask him again.
2007dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:00 AM   #10
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
2007dura You may be right, looked at the order form and I guess the 2012 GM I ordered has the option of heated and cooled leather seats is a option. I will find out I guess because it looks like I ordered both options heated and cooled seats and the Leather option... But I want the Leather option before the cooled and heated seats... I will know in a few months....
Old 07-03-2011, 06:42 AM   #11
BigAl52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4977
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Delaine and Lindy

Don't know about Dodge but we could have got cooling seats on the 2012 Chevy 3500HD but would have had to give up the leather seats and that want happen.. There are some options I don't care for example the Nav system, can't believe what it cost to replace. But GM has On Star turn by turn system and of course we have the Garmin.

GM is always leading in the Drive train systems (Duramax/Allison) the only proven combo year after year. But some of the bells and whistles are behind Ford and Dodge. And when you add GMC/Chevy together GM is always leading in sells. But its different Strokes for different folks.. All three are great Trucks...
Is there some sort of fact the would give numbers on the Duramax and Allison being the best combo year after year. They cant outsell Ford and if they were the best I would think that would happen. When the Duramax has been around along as the cummins has been you might have a case. But untill then the cummins holds it own.
BigAl52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:54 AM   #12
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Haven't seen the latest numbers on Ford vs Chevy, I did say in the past when you add the GMC/Chevy numbers the GM's do in fact out sell Fords. The GMC and Chevy is the same Truck, the difference is cosmetic.

As for as the Duramax/Allison combo? Its because the Duramax/Allison has remained basicly the same year after year. Ford is on their third Diesel engine and Dodge has used several different Transmissions.

However the Duramax/Allison is for my use the best combo year after year. Others have different opinions and for their use the owners are happy with their Dodges and Fords. Which is good....

And we can just agree or disagree about which is best. As this post was started it was addressed as, For you Chevy 3500HD Lovers.

I will be the first to tell you I don't buy Fords or Dodges my opinions are based on reading others who have posted on the Forums of Ford and Dodge. And I could be wrong and many time I'm wrong. But the experience I post is from owning, 1 GM 2500HDs, 4 GM 3500HDs, 1 Chevy 4500 all of which have had the Duramax/Allison. I might add I also owned a Freightliner M2 with a Mercedes with the big Allison.

I do know the Cummins Diesel is a great Diesel. I have driven many Class 8 Trucks with the Cummins power plant. As for the Dodge Transmissions I do believe Chysler now has a good Transmission, so for. I hope they do, I know what a persons feels when your Transmission goes out several thousand miles from home base..

As for the new Ford Diesel power plants 6.7, I have friends who have them and so for they are getting the job done. And I also have friends who have had the 6.0 lay down on them and its also a terrible situtation.

I will end this by saying a person should buy what ever they think fills their needs. At this time I'm given information to a dear friend who has a Ford 350 that wants information on the 2011 Chevy 3500HD's he had the use of a 2011 3500HD yesterday and was very impressed. I can only offer my experience on the GM 3500HD's having never owned a Ford. It will be his decision on what ever he decides to buy. Be Happy buy a new Truck from Ford, Dodge or GM. Help our economy.. Happy Trails.....
Old 07-04-2011, 06:14 PM   #13
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
GM will never have to add the heated tailgate!!!! tee hee.... so your hands don't get cold when you are pushing teehee!!!
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote