Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2011, 03:21 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
It should be a simple job

I had three dead trees in my wooded grove where my Montana lives. It looks better around here if the dead wood is removed. When I take a tree down, I cut it up so my Brother-in-law can use it in his fireplace. With a good chain saw, It should be a simple job and the first two were.

Today, I decided to take the last one down. I have been pretty good about felling a tree and have it fall where I planned. So I determined my cuts, cranked the saw and started my cuts. When I finished my back cut, the tree didn't fall. Ok, start the saw and add a third cut. Saw won't start. I get a metal wedge and drive it into my back cut -- the tree won't fall. I see I only need to make a small additional cut. Saw won't start. You can kill yourself trying to start a chain saw.

I remember the bow saw in the back of the tool shed. Finally the tree falls right where I had planned, but across my drive. Got to get the saw started. I took it apart, cleaned the air filter, cleaned and gapped the spark plug, checked for fuel flow, put it back together and it started. I cut as fast as I can because I am afraid the saw won't stay running and I got to clear the drive.

Just as I clear the drive, the chain jumped the track. After putting the chain back on, sure enough I can't get the Poulan Pro to start. Half my tree is uncut and I quit for the day. The whole point of this is that it ain't only fifth wheeling that what should be simple doesn't turn out that way.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:31 PM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I have always suspected that unforeseen delays happen for a reason, even though we may never know what the reason is. It does get discouraging at times though, but patience and persistence are virtues that a lot of us need to develop more of. Makes one think though!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:38 PM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I was afraid of where that story was going. Glad it only turned out to be a bit of frustration.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:31 PM   #4
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
I thought I "saw" you on Ax Men last night.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:02 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Must have been my brother.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:15 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good Job Stiles, funny you posted that story, today my son stopped by to check my progress on the Montana, We were talking about chain saws, he said he about had a heart attack trying to start his, I told him I have 2 gas saws, can't keep either one running, so I bought an electric one...starts every time.
Take care of yourself, work at an easy pace, we want you around here a bit longer.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:27 AM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
You are right. That electric saw will start every time.....if you have a long enough cord to reach into the woods. I suppose one might also take a generator into the woods......if you can get it to start.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:39 AM   #8
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Same thing happened to me last week with the hard or can't start chain saw. Went across the street to WalMart and bought the DW an early birthday present. Bingo is right about things happening for a reason, we needed a new chain saw and she needed a birthday present that was functional.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:25 AM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
My kind of thinkin' Mike. DW's need functional tools.

Stiles, how's that rotators cuff holdin' up?
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:33 AM   #10
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BB_TX

I was afraid of where that story was going. Glad it only turned out to be a bit of frustration.
In addition to being frustrating, chain saws can be very dangerous...like BB_TX I was concerned that something serious was going to unfold in your story...fortunately, you remain unharmed.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:57 AM   #11
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
I have been supplementing our income for the past two years as a sales associate at sears in the lawn and garden department. The number one piece of advice I give folks is you MUST be using a fuel stablizer in todays 10% ethanol gas! (government recently approved a change to raise it up to 15%).

Two big problems with the ethanol: First is lowers the vapor point of the mixture to the point where after sitting in a can or machine for 60-70 days the octane is too low to maintain cumbstion! It may start but quicks as soon as you put a load on it or if the engine is warm it will not restart!

Bigger problem is it disolves/softens rubber components (seals on carboratore, fuel lines on weeed eaters and chain saws). Sears has started carrying replacement fuel lines for the first time this year (used to have to go to the repair center and get them because there was so little demand for them). Unfortuneatly most small gas powered tools are only connected with a nipple on one end. The other end (the one in the gas tank) is plastic wielded or sealed at the entry point and has a small filter attached inside the tank. Trying to remove this and reinstall on a new gas line is another "not as simple as it should be" evolution. It costs about 30 cents to treat a gallon of gas with fuel stablizer and I add the stablizer when I fill a gas can at the pump. The fuel is stablized for 1-2 years and I swear by it. I have 4-5 gallon gas cans in my shed (hurricane prep). In good faith, I tell people about the fuel issues BEFORE they drop $200-$300 on a new mower because their old one died ("it ran fine last year but just won't start now). Normally draining out the old gas and putting in fresh (recently purchased, not sitting in the gas can from last year) "fixes" the problem. I have had a fair number come back and thank me and even a couple want to speak to a manager to tell them what good service I gave. I thank them for their feedback but have to ask them not to commend me to the bosses as the management may not be as grateful as the customer was. (some of the looks as they relize what I am saying are priceless). About the same time they realize that I lost out on the commission I could have made but I have a cadre of customers who will now only buy from me even if they have to come back because I am not working when they come in.

Anyone buying a riding lawn mower this year take a look at the newly regulated gas tanks on the machines. There is a "Vapor Recovery System" to try and prevent this vapor evaporation caused by the ethanol from adding to the green house effect. This ethanol problem has hit the recreational boat owner even harder with numerous engine rebuilds/overhauls required by the disolving rubber components clogging up the fuel injector jets.

Most auto parts stores carry fuel stablizer so don't read this as a pitch for any particular brand of stablizer, just thought I would pass on what "may" have been a contributing factor to this story and share knowledge I have gained from the experience of others.
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:08 AM   #12
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Thanks for your input. It is something to investigate. Today, it started with two pulls and we finished the tree.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:39 PM   #13
PatnRich
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1250
I worked with someone who used to say, "If you're born to be hung, you'll never be shot".

As far as buying Pat practical tools, I did that once and only once!
PatnRich is offline   Reply With Quote