Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2011, 02:17 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Hitch maintenance

I have had my B&W Companion Hitch since August 2007. I am moving it to the new truck. It is very easy to do, just move it over after the B&W Turnover Ball Hitch has been installed (you can't just move the ball hitch over because it is different for the 2011 model). I decided that it was a good time to thoroughly inspect the Companion Hitch. That was a good decision.

I found that 3 of the 8 bolts holding the pivot arms to the base were loosened. Reading the online installation instructions, it clearly states that those bolts need to have the torque checked regularly. This I had not been doing, but will do from now on.

Some of the holes on the base and the pivot arms were a bit wallowed. So I ground them down flat to make sure I will get maximum surface to surface when I bolt it up again. I also purchased new bolts, nuts and lock washers. These are the bolts that take the main stress of the hitch. Best to use new ones.

There was some chipped paint and rust spots on the hitch. I wire brushed them, applied some rust inhibitor, and sprayed all the spots with glossy metal paint. After allowing it to dry, I reassembled the hitch making sure I brought the bolts to the proper torque.

Then I put the newly serviced and painted hitch into the new truck and we are ready to go in mid April. By-the-way, the total cost of the $12.83 for bolts, washers, and nuts plus $4.85 for Valspar Glossy Gray paint topped off with a few cents worth of grease. About $18.00 for maintaining a safe hitch seems reasonable and a bunch cheaper than buying a new hitch.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:38 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good job Stiles. I am glad your sharp eyes caught that!
We want you two safe out there.
Thanks for the tip. I will check my hitch before I install it in the truck.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:01 AM   #3
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Good info about the hitch. I have one also and have noticed when checking the bolts that hold it to the frame that some of those have worked loose during the two years I have been using it. Because yours is a new installation in a brand new pretty, slick and shiny truck this should be of no concern, just something for the future. Have a safe trip.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:51 AM   #4
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
We do a thorough PM on our hitch prior to every trip...amazing how well the pivot head pivots when it is actually properly greased!
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:12 AM   #5
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
We have pulled 1800 miles so far on our new B&W Companion, and have not checked a bolt, but will do it now. Thanks Stiles for the heads up. We leave our Companion hanging on the kingpin and let the Monty do the lifting when we need the full flat bed surface in truck bed. We have the 6.5 short bed and must get a new bight when backing or pulling on sharp turnes, but believe the B&W to be a good hitch.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:19 AM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I check my rails prior to every trip which are becoming farther and fewer between due to family commitments. They are on the list of checks along with u-bolts, wheels nuts, & air pressure. Other than occassional air inflation, all seems to be pretty good now, unless I remove a wheel, then it might take a couple of checks before the torque remains solid.

I did learn about the bed rail torque checks in this forum. Those were loose the first time I checked, but they have been solid since. I torque to 150lbs. What does everyone do for theirs?

I have a 16K Valley/Husky hitch. An internet check suggests 125 to 160lbs of torque and I use 150lbs because that's as high as my torque wrench will take me and is the same torque for my TV's wheel nuts. One setting covers the bed rails and the wheels, then I drop it to 120lbs for the trailer wheels, then down to 65lbs for the u-bolts. It's very comforting those things have been solid and I get underway. This is just some of my pre-trip checklist and learned some of it (bed rails and u-bolts) here in the forum.

It's good stuff to share and interesting what others have and use.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:20 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks for triggering my memory on this, Stiles. It's time I check ours again. I now have this in my calendar to come up periodically. Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote