Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2011, 07:37 AM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
AT&T Cellphone Buyers Beware.

We got a new Samsung Focus for Betsy at the cell phone kiosk at Fort Bragg 2 days after Christmas. The phone is presently heating up very fast while being used. We went to a AT&T store in Savannah and were told that they have no responsibility to service or deal with ANY AT&T equipment not purchased through one of their stores. We got exactly the same response from AT&T tech support on the phone and online. We have to go back to Bragg or another army base to have any service at all. So my point is beware where you buy your cell phones. If we had been unlucky enough to be past the 30 day cutoff for service through the military exchange system then we would be stuck with a 2 year contract and no phone. The contract paperwork we got with the phone says that after 30 days but within one year that AT&T would work with you to replace the phone, NOT SO according to AT&T customer service. So if you are planning on buying a new AT&T cell phone at a military exchange be advised that after 30 days you are basically stuffed. We are lucky enough to have it happen within the 30 day window and can return it to Ft Stewart and since we had to sign a new 24 month contract we can also cancel our service with AT&T within that same window with no early contract cancellation fee... Dave

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:08 AM   #2
Sky
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9806
Sounds like AT&T likes taking advantage of the american serviceman...
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:21 AM   #3
doofus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10583
Sounds like AAFES needs to re-negotiate how they do business with AT&T.
doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:27 AM   #4
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Our service with ATT&T at a Kiosk in Bellingham WA has been very good. They have been kind, upfront, ready to help and all around pleasant to work with. Actually they paid me to "buy" the phones, the phones were free and I received a $50 rebate each for the two phones! This was good as it will cover most of the cost of the mistake mentioned below.

However the phone service from Virgin mobility I purchased at BEST BUY in Langley, BC has left a bad taste in my mouth and $140 hole in my pocket. I am canceling it and paying the cost, yes it is now more than 30 days.
I AM NOT BLAMING Virgin Mobility but Best Buy and my own stupidity.
I purchased the MIFI from a Virgin Mobility Kiosk with no problems, happy with their service.
It has been a time of live and learn, it has not been the end of the world just a speed bump on the road to tomorrow.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:52 AM   #5
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
The AAFES kiosks are not AT&T owned or operated. They are independent distributors like in many malls. Privately owned suppliers. But they supply the equipment for many service providers like AT&T, Sprint, Verizon and others.
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:08 AM   #6
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
Happened to me. Last year went into the water with the dogs and yes my phone. Found a AT&T store and got the cheapest phone ever. Why? I didn't want to pay any money for a little bit better phone. So, after we got home I went to an AT&T store to get a better phone. I explained the situation to the sales guy and his first reply was, where did you get that phone. Well I explained again and this time he said sorry you didn't get this phone from an AT&T retailer. So I told him I did, the store said AT&T on the outside and had AT&T stuff inside. He then said It was a privately owned store??????? Needless to say I still have the junk phone.
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:29 AM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Lesson taught, lesson learned.

Thanks.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:53 AM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
That almost sounds like a case of false advertising. I wonder what the FTC would say about that. Probably not worth their time but interesting to see what they would say. I still have three year old LG flip phones with a camera deal. I like them as they do what I want, tel calls and ocassional picture, plus they have an antenna jack that I can hook my Wilson antenna to. Many of the new phones do not have this capability, as most of you know.

Dave, Thanks for the "Heads UP" on where to buy new phones. I suspect we will be buying a couple in the near future....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:15 AM   #9
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
I'm not sure I understand a couple of the comments in this string. An independent retailer makes the money from selling the phone. AT&T makes money selling the service. The service is OK but the phone is defective. Sooo why should AT&T stand behind the phone they neither manufactured or sold? Jim
Old 01-07-2011, 11:35 AM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Jim, when I approach a kiosk that says AT&T, I assume that is an AT&T kiosk and fully expect AT&T to stand behind their product. Are you saying I could buy a bunch of Phones and set up my own AT&T kiosk and sell them. I did not know this was the case. How would one know for sure we were dealing directly with AT&T, or any other service provider, for that matter. What about a store front that says Verizon, do I need to determine that is actually Verizon before I buy something and expect Verizon to stand behind it?

Sounds like consumers are being duped.......(OR I'M JUST BEHIND THE TIMES)

I guess I always thought that these kiosks were owned by the service provider, my bad I guess.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:35 PM   #11
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I guess buying the insurance policy might be a good idea, huh Dave, I never had that problem with my carrier. but I guess that means for me not to even think about chaging to that carrier.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:45 PM   #12
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Some time back, (year or so) we were due to renew our contract with Verizon. Well a new little strip center had opened not far from us so we went there to a store that have Verizon on the facia. Told the man we wanted to renew and that we were due a free phone specfic model number as we had already talked to Verizon customer service. "No can do" the free phone the man said, you will have to go to a company store located at....... I am only a dealer. By the way I looked around and he also sold satelite dishes. You go into a Verizon company store and you will see nothing but Verizon products.
Yes they sell different brand phones but only Verizon services.
Sam's Club, Best Buy, and Wally World - they all have different phone carriers so what does At&t say about those type of stores? Do they warrenty on of their products?
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:47 AM   #13
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

Jim, when I approach a kiosk that says AT&T, I assume that is an AT&T kiosk and fully expect AT&T to stand behind their product. Are you saying I could buy a bunch of Phones and set up my own AT&T kiosk and sell them. I did not know this was the case. How would one know for sure we were dealing directly with AT&T, or any other service provider, for that matter. What about a store front that says Verizon, do I need to determine that is actually Verizon before I buy something and expect Verizon to stand behind it?

I guess I always thought that these kiosks were owned by the service provider, my bad I guess.
Phil, you are exactly right. You COULD buy a bunch of phones, sign an agreement with ATT or whoever, and sell away. We went to a new ATT store last summer to look at phones that were featured on their web site. There were some big difs in what hey had and what was on the site and we made some notes, promising to return after we had looked around. After hitting Best Buy and a couple of others, we stopped in at an ATT store in another part of town. Low and behold, they had everything we had been looking for, including the almost free phone we were interested in in the first place. Turns out they are an official ATT owned or franchised dealer, and the other "new" stroe was just a dealer with only ATT over his door. Nothing else with the true name of his business. So how do we tell from now on who is who? When you walk in, don't be afraid to ask!
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:42 AM   #14
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Thanks for the education, I really thought that these places were just outlets for the factories. MY BAD. Will deal directly with Verizon owned stores in the future. I wonder how many folks get duped with this one??????
Old 01-08-2011, 03:09 AM   #15
junglejim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9245
We are with Sprint just because we need the "Nextel" part of the phone. Us for staying in touch with all our family and me for my work. Other than that I would switch because I hate Sprint. Anyways, I learned the hard way also, so now I go directly to a "Corporate Store" when I need something. I said corporate instead of company because that is what Sprint goes by.
junglejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:49 AM   #16
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
Thank you everyone for your posts and information. I never realized this about any of the stores. We have AT&T and are due for new phones. Don't know if we will upgrade; but if we do we will make sure it is a corporate store.
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:48 AM   #17
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

We got a new Samsung Focus for Betsy at the cell phone kiosk at Fort Bragg 2 days after Christmas. The phone is presently heating up very fast while being used. We went to a AT&T store in Savannah and were told that they have no responsibility to service or deal with ANY AT&T equipment not purchased through one of their stores. We got exactly the same response from AT&T tech support on the phone and online. We have to go back to Bragg or another army base to have any service at all. So my point is beware where you buy your cell phones. If we had been unlucky enough to be past the 30 day cutoff for service through the military exchange system then we would be stuck with a 2 year contract and no phone. The contract paperwork we got with the phone says that after 30 days but within one year that AT&T would work with you to replace the phone, NOT SO according to AT&T customer service. So if you are planning on buying a new AT&T cell phone at a military exchange be advised that after 30 days you are basically stuffed. We are lucky enough to have it happen within the 30 day window and can return it to Ft Stewart and since we had to sign a new 24 month contract we can also cancel our service with AT&T within that same window with no early contract cancellation fee... Dave
If you are still in the Savannah area, Ft Stewart (an Army base) is not far away....
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:05 AM   #18
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

Phil, This certainly is a confusing issue and I would not have known as much except for the fact that I worked in the communications business. You can set up your own Kiosk to sell those phones you bought a bunch of but you can’t put AT&T or Verizon, or whoever on your store with out having an agreement with that company. Some independent stores/kiosk sell just the phones, others sell the phones and the service. All depends on their contract with the carrier. Many of these independent stores and kiosk have no affiliation with a major cell service provider.
I wanted to upgrade my AT&T cell phone and picked a model I liked. Went to a real AT&T phone store and the phone was priced at around $120. Bought the same phone off of Amazon.com for just over $40. Put Sims card from my old phone in the new phone and everything worked well. Saved myself $80. Had it not worked well I would have been in the same situation Dave and Betsy are in except instead of traveling back to the store I would have had to mail it back to Amazon. So as others have said, know who you are dealing with and what the terms of the deal are. I will also add in my humble opinion if you do have service problems the company stores are much more helpful if the product and service are bought from them. Makes sense as they have made many more $’s off of you. Jim
Old 01-09-2011, 02:02 PM   #19
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
Just for what it's worth, we have been with Consumer Cellular for many years now. They are a reseller that provides AT&T service. However, there is NO contract and a 30 day return policy. Their rates are simple, and they only offer a few phones to choose from, from very simple to complex IF you want. They also have a phone that we are thinking of getting, called the "Doro" phone. It is "senior friendly" i.e. big display/numbers/keypad. They are also a provider for Good Sam, and also for AARP. I have always had good luck with them, and they have been very helpful. No hidden fees, either. They tell you right up front. I usually never recommend a provider, but I've been with them for about 10 years now. No problems at all.
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:04 PM   #20
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Has anyone considered it might be an AT&T problem? After thinking we might want to change to the iPhone and doing quite a bit of research, we found that AT&T has some of the worst customer service for cell phone providers. Might carry over to their sales force too.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote