Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2007, 04:01 AM   #1
jmd80ta
Established Member

M.O.C. #6537
Another shower leaking question

Before I posted this topic I searched for people having shower leaks in their Monty and have the issue where water is leaking over the shower base lip near the shower glass doors. The shower comes down over the lip but it still leaks and water protrudes from under the shower base and then leaks down in my storage compartment.

I have verified this weekend by taking the shower hose and showering down each wall in sections until I seen the leak. The only time it leaks is when I shower down the wall near the shower glass upto about four inches from the shower glass along where the shower wall meets the shower base.

I just have the regular show base and not the deep shower tub as shown in other threads where the lip is cut short where the shower doors meet the wall. Do the regular shower bases have the same problem? I know you are not suppose to caulk where the walls meet the shower base but not sure what to do. Is there another solution with out taking the unit in to the dealer?

jmd80ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 04:32 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Check this thread:
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=23166
IF you have the small separation in the corner as shown in the photo contained in the thread, that is where our leak originated. A small amount of silcone caulk stopped the leak. Credit goes to Illapah for the solution. Hope this helps.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 04:52 AM   #3
jmd80ta
Established Member

M.O.C. #6537
I did check that thread out when I did a search and unfortunately mine doesn't leak there. When I was checking for the leak I carrefully only sprayed water on the shower wall where it meet the shower base (not the glass) and that is where the leak is generating from. I was thinking of only caulking about six inches from the shower glass along the shower base where it meets the shower wall. That way I can still have ventilation behind the wall as I won't seal the whole base.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:02 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Forewarning, regular bath caulk will not work (been there done that - during the chase down process - now have to remove it all), you may want to use silicone caulk.

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 03:23 PM   #5
jmd80ta
Established Member

M.O.C. #6537
This past weekend I used plumbers putty to temporarily stop my leak in the bathroom shower. I rolled a bead of it and sealed the area where the shower wall meets the base along the whole shower. I wanted to verify my leak and sure enough it doesn't leak anymore.

My question is how will the dealer fix this or should I just remove the plumbers putty and use silicon caulk to seal it permanently?
Old 08-09-2007, 05:39 PM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
When my shower was repaired a little over a year ago, it was recaulked with white silicone caulk and hasn't leaked since. It was "tub and tile" caulk.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote