Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2007, 01:10 AM   #1
rono
Established Member

M.O.C. #6606
Electrical Problem

I have a 3500RL and this morning I have no electricity (ac) in half of the trailer. All breakers are on (none tripped). Is there anywhere I can find an electrical diagram of this model? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Ron

rono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 01:34 AM   #2
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
Ron,
Did you check the GFI plugs to see if any are tripped? They should be by the sinks. A tripped GFI could cause what you are discribing. Hope this helps, if not someone w/ more experience will be along soon to help out.
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 01:36 AM   #3
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Ron,

Check the GFCI outlet in the kitchen and the one on the outside of the trailer.
Check the power pedestal to make sure both legs have power.
Check the 50 plug on the cord that plugs into your trailer.
Remove the breaker and fuse panels, ( with the power unplugged from the pedestal ) and check all the connections on back, some, including myself have found loose connections.
Hope this helps, others will probably have more idesa.

On Edit - If you wind up taking the 50 amp plug apart to check the connections, you already know but I have to say it anyway, unplug it from the pedestal first.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 01:48 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
If you have a 30 amp to 50amp adaptor try using it to make sure you are getting power on both 50 amp leads. I found the breaker at the power pedestal had failed.
Until you have determined the failure is in the trailer do not tear everything apart.
If you are good with electricity you can determine what leg has blown by looking at your circuit breaker panel. If every other breaker has lost power then it is a main feed. If not then you have something unique to your trailer.
Do you have a generator prepped unit?
Good luck and be safe around the 110.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 03:21 AM   #5
rono
Established Member

M.O.C. #6606
Thanks for all the replys so far. I'm at work now, but I called may wife and had her check the gfci breakers in the kitchen. She said the one by the front door, the test button will not push in. The one by the lavatory in the mstr. br., the test sw. will push in and then reset just fine. I am gussing the one by the front door has failed. I've worked with electricity for the last 35 years and am comfortable troubleshooting this. I just wish there were some type of schematic of these things. Oh well. Thanks again.
Ron
Old 01-20-2007, 03:05 AM   #6
rono
Established Member

M.O.C. #6606
Thanks for all the replys. Everything in the 5er checked out good. It was the main breaker outside. I had 122v on one leg and only 16v on the other. Campground maint. replaced the breaker and everything seems ok now.
Thanks again, Ron
Old 01-21-2007, 07:01 AM   #7
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rono

Thanks for all the replys. Everything in the 5er checked out good. It was the main breaker outside. I had 122v on one leg and only 16v on the other. Campground maint. replaced the breaker and everything seems ok now.
Thanks again, Ron
Glad you found your problem, we had a similar problem, if we went out and unplugged the power cord from the trailer and plugged it back in it would be fine for a while.I took the power cord to the dealer and it checked out OK. Hubby tie wrapped the cord to the ladder to take the wt. off it and no problem since.
Roamingusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 04:06 PM   #8
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
We had a problem with our whole block having a bad neutral. Everyone was losing half there units. Mgr couldn't find the problem. Finally he brought in 3 elect utility guys. They took every elect box apart and put them back together again. Solved the problem.

I also threw a GFI in my vanity outlet. That also shut down half my trailer until I found it.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 09:41 PM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Yea Dave, I found all my neutral wires really loose on mine, also some breaker power wires.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote