Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2006, 08:57 PM   #1
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Frame fffff(well you know)

Ok, I need to ask the ugly question. I have researched past posts and have seen some pictures and repairs regarding frame flex. Evidently my 2003 is susceptible to the problem. My original impression was this had something to do with the main frame, but what I am seeing in the posts are problems in the front around the hitch.

I am aware of a 3/8" drop in the front part of my left moulding when I disconnect the truck. It goes away when connected. I've had it since the first year, and I considered it a water seal problem that I would have to deal with. Is this indication that the upper frame is flexing downward with no pin support, or is it a sign of something broken in the frame? I do not see any movement on the right side, nor cracks, nor indication that the bedroom slide is off square.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 02:06 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I had posted the pictures that we took at the factory of those triangular chunks of metal added at the juncture where the overhang connects to the main frame.They were described to us as "the fix" for the frame flex " problem. My guess is that you may be experiencing the frame flex problem. I don't think there is any way to actually see the breaks other than tearing down the front cap..Sounds like you have the symptoms.. Perhaps others that have had the fix can describe it better..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 02:07 AM   #3
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
My 06 2955RL, shows no change in anything, sitting on the hitch or standing on the landing gear.

I am not sure what your small amount of moulding movement means......I hope it is not indicative of a problem. Take care.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 06:49 AM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I just looked through several threads by DHenry and mobilrvn. I think I have my answer, and that I will find broken welds under the nose. Monty is GROUNDED once again!

Based on what I have read, I'm not about to pull it across country for any fix - I may be on my own for this one. Need to fix it before it starts coming apart. If there is no local fix - it's gone.
Old 09-15-2006, 06:56 AM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Brad,
My suggestion is to call Darrell at the Customer service center in Goshen. He and I just talked about this issue yesterday and he had showed me where to keep an eye on. I am sure Darrell will be able to help you better than I can.

866-425-4369 ext 3946
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 07:49 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Brad,
Bummer!
The worst things happen to the nicest people.
Good luck,
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 07:49 AM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Thanks Dave,
I just talked to him and I'm going to send him some pictures both on the jacks and then on the truck. He said it's actually the opposite flex from what he has seen - usually moulding drop when supported on the pin rather than the jacks.

Brad
Old 09-15-2006, 08:41 AM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Why thanks Ozz,

I'm not surrendering yet. Some incouraging discussion with the Goshen in that it may be something else. It's reacting opposite from what they have seen typically. If it is frame damage, we have caught it in the early stages before it impacts the asthetics and interior structure. Irregardless of what it ends up being, I would have never given it another thought if it wasn't for the information and nice folks in this Forum.

Brad
Old 09-15-2006, 04:55 PM   #9
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
We had our 04 3670 repaired at the dealer for frame flex. I believe they removed the front cap and welded some gussets in there. Problem is it still flexes. So it goes in to Keystone factory sevice in Nov. Hopefully they will get it repaired. But they were more than willing to fix it even though it's out of warranty.
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 04:58 PM   #10
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Brad,

I know of at least one good dealer in CO that's worth talking to, not sure if you've spoken to anyone locally yet.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 06:58 PM   #11
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Brad,
I am sure if anyone can get you squared away it is going to be Darrell. Please keep us updated on the progress of your coach. Curious minds want to know... =)
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 04:59 AM   #12
sgf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #680
Just had our unit out this past weekend and we noticed the exact same thing,it is an early 2004 with about 1800 miles on it.Gonna tear the area around the pin box off this weekend.At least I have a welder here and some experience at welding,but;that is not my main concern,we also noticed the inside of the tires are starting to wear real fast and this thing has the famous al-ko axles.May have to give Keystone a shout on this one and if they are of no help ,well, we found a really nice nu- wa Hitchhiker that we like.Hope keystone comes through for us.
sgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 12:48 PM   #13
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Well, I couldn't resist, couldn't sleep, had to tear into the Montana.

After some off line discussions with several members that have experienced frame flex, (thanks to all of you!) it apears my sympton is reacting opposite of the typical. Darrell at Keystone was also perplexed by this. In other words my droop in the moulding appears when supported on the landing gear, but goes away when supported on the pin. Others have experienced molding movement while supported by the pin that returns to normal when supported on the landing gear.

I tore into everything. I have no broken welds, no frame distortion or corrossion that I could find inspecting under the nose, LP compartments and generator compartment. What I do have is the frame (securely attached to the side wall structure) moving slightly downward behind the exterior wall when supporting the weight of the pinbox (shown in photos).

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...51&uid=6528899

Looking at the nice picture of the frame and aluminum structure Montana provided in my brochure, I honestly believe I have broken welds on the vertical alluminum stud(s) forward of the bedroom slide. This is allowing the floor and frame to deflect slightly downward from the weight of the pinbox when cantilevered without support under the pin. Vertical movement in a stud from a broken weld would not show any movement in the interior or exterior siding, other than perhaps a slight gap at the base of the interior wall at the carpet. It would stand to reason that this would be a weak area given the massive open area represented by the slide, and the additional weight and leverage of the slide when open.

SGF - I am anxious to hear what you find this weekend.

I am just theorizing, but if I'm right I'm not sure if the broken studs would be the result of frame flex or just yaw trauma on the hitch while traveling. I'll be curious what the factory has to say.

Brad
Old 09-16-2006, 12:55 PM   #14
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Mac,
Could you send me a PM of your recommended dealer? I would appreciate it.
Old 09-16-2006, 01:58 PM   #15
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Brad,

I did PM you but there is no point being ashamed of a good dealer. Del Camino in Longmont has treated me and others on this forum very well.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 02:12 PM   #16
worknomore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2216
Brad,

So that you won't feel alone, the problem exists thru the 2005 models - even thought they have the gussets welded at the factory for the flex problem. Supposedly, Keystone started putting these in in July of '04. I have an '05 2955RL that was built 11/04, & I have the 'dreaded drop' ahead of the expansion joint under the bedroom slide. Mine is 'only' 1/4", but was enough to get an appt. at the service center for inspection next Monday, 9/18.

Hopefully, they will have some answers & schedule a repair date...
worknomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 02:15 PM   #17
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Jim,
Did yours just happen or have you had it for a while?

Brad
Old 09-16-2006, 02:19 PM   #18
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
MAC - No shame involved with a good Dealer, rather I asked for a PM because if you picked the "other one" I didn't want to publicly slam them after my blood pressure went through the roof.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:51 PM   #19
sgf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #680
Well,tore the covering off around the pin this afternoon and also found nothing, all welds are intact and very clean looking.Checked the Lp area and everything looks great with all the welds.My moulding also droops when on the legs and closes when the pin is on the hitch. This droop is also forward on the br slide.Have no ideal where the problem is unless as bsmeaton stated some stud welds are broken in the wall. Gonna see how hard the inside of the closet is to tear apart and hope the cap does not have to be taken off. As far as the tires,gonna give al-ko a call first thing monday.
sgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 04:31 PM   #20
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
sgf,

This is what I used for guide - I can't think of any other explanation.

I'll let you know what I hear back.

Brad