Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2013, 05:34 AM   #1
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
That hot water heater too HOT?

My sister was having a problem with her water heater in her Larado a keystone product, Excessive water temperature which also causes the pressure releaf to drip. after some resurch i purchased an adjustable thermostate for her water heater and this looks like the sure fix. I have also attached a movie for hers which turns out to be an Atwood type. I am loking for the one for my water heater which is a Suberban.
atwood video below Suberban will follow.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:23 AM   #2
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
My water heater pressure valve dripped from day one. Dealer replaced it under warranty.

Frank
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:05 AM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
You find one Don, post it so we can all do that. I'd love to find one that I can adjust to make it hotter or cooler when needed. Are you sure your sisters isn't running on both electric and gas at the same time? That definitely makes the water hot and quick too!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rondo

You find one Don, post it so we can all do that. I'd love to find one that I can adjust to make it hotter or cooler when needed. Are you sure your sisters isn't running on both electric and gas at the same time? That definitely makes the water hot and quick too!
well I have talked to Suburban water heaters and they do not have the adjustable setting thermostat like Atwood has.
Suburban sells a 130 deg fixed, or you can get a 130/140 adjustable stat if you want hotter water, which I dont want. Also my sister was running the heater on gas. not electric.
Rondo I'm going to look for a 130 deg pop off and see if that will stop the dribble of water from my new 120 deg pop off they just mught sell them if they sell the higer gegree thermostat I dont think the 120 Degree will hold a higher 130 degree without poping off.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suburban-Wat...item5af3757901

Frank thats good you were able to get yours fixed under warranty. my Monty is 10 years old so my Suburban manufactures warranty and Keystone was expired 8 years ago, so its up to me to fix these problems or a repair shop.

So more work in progress, and more up dates to come.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:18 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
An adjustable for the Suburban would sure be nice.

I believe the Suburbans have two thermostats, one for the gas side and one for the electric side. I understand those black rubber button covers under the outside cover are the reset buttons, although mine are not marked for gas and elec.

Our 2003 Montana got the water hotter on gas. This 2007 gets it hotter on electricity. I guess that's just production variations in the thermostat limits. Using both together will not get it any hotter than the hotter of the two. It will, however, get it hot more quickly!

Don, although Suburban doesn't make one, maybe a third party does. As mentioned in an earlier post, please post if you find one. Thanks for the info.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:17 PM   #6
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I agree Steve. Both of our Suburban water heaters have been less hot than what we would like.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 02:09 AM   #7
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
Good info Don. I'm going shopping today.
Thanks,
WorkerB
WorkerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #8
mfrost

M.O.C. #12620
Mine has leaked in the same manner. thought the TP valve was bad so replaced it and it still did the same thing after a while so go out the manual and it said it was normal for it to leak if there wasn't an air cushion in the tank or by adding an external one. They suggest shutting off the water supply then opening the TP valve and bleed water from the tank then closing it and turn the water back on then you will have an air cushion that will last for a while then you will have to do it again. Check out your WH manual.
mfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:06 AM   #9
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
It requires less 140 deg water volume than it does 120 or 130 deg water volume to take a hot shower. Using more cold water in the mix preserves the heated water. This is a good thing with a 12 gallon water tank. If the pressure relief valve is weeping, i agree, there may not be the required air space in the tank, or the relief valve needs replacing.
fauch is offline   Reply With Quote