Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2011, 07:38 AM   #1
Sky
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9806
Roadside Weigh Stations

Does your state require 5th Wheelers to stop at open weigh stations?

Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:41 AM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
No, we're not a commercial vehicle.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:36 AM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
As Jim stated-- We're not commercial so no need to stop! Don't say this to loud or the Administration of the DOT or above may change their minds! We have never stopped at any over our journey with the Monte! If we were I'm sure the "weight patrol" would have been after us!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:01 AM   #4
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

This summer my wife and I started in Florida and traveled all but 3 states west of the Mississippi and we did enter one state that had a several large signs before the weight station stating that all vehicles except passenger cars had to enter the weight station. The signs went on to list all tractor trailers, all RV’s, all towed trailers regardless of commercial status or not. I don’t remember the exact wording but they made it clear for about 3 miles that the only thing that could pass the weight station was a passenger car. They weighed us and waved us thru. I dont remember what state it was and I am not talking about the California agriculture inspection.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:15 AM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I guess my travels thru 46 of the 50 states has led me around that particular state. I have never seen a sign such as that. Just saying!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:38 AM   #6
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Phil P

Hi

This summer my wife and I started in Florida and traveled all but 3 states west of the Mississippi and we did enter one state that had a several large signs before the weight station stating that all vehicles except passenger cars had to enter the weight station. The signs went on to list all tractor trailers, all RV’s, all towed trailers regardless of commercial status or not. I don’t remember the exact wording but they made it clear for about 3 miles that the only thing that could pass the weight station was a passenger car. They weighed us and waved us thru. I dont remember what state it was and I am not talking about the California agriculture inspection.

Phil P
Was Sheriff Bufford Pusser manning the weigh station?
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:45 AM   #7
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CamillaMichael

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Phil P

Hi

Phil P
Was Sheriff Bufford Pusser manning the weigh station?
Rats! Now I've got to get diet coke off the keyboard!
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:53 AM   #8
Sky
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9806
The reason I asked this question was that I have never stopped for a weigh station that was open when I had my motorhome but most states are hurting for money and are thinking of more ways to raise the money they need. I think Phil P just went through that state that came up with the idea of checking everything possible on the roadway which could expand that states bank account. Overweight vehicles in my state carry a very heavy fine (and I do mean heavy). Every state has different MV laws and they are enforced differently by each state...just something to think about.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:16 PM   #9
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sky

The reason I asked this question was that I have never stopped for a weigh station that was open when I had my motorhome but most states are hurting for money and are thinking of more ways to raise the money they need. I think Phil P just went through that state that came up with the idea of checking everything possible on the roadway which could expand that states bank account. Overweight vehicles in my state carry a very heavy fine (and I do mean heavy). Every state has different MV laws and they are enforced differently by each state...just something to think about.
No offense intended...don't know of much that does not change, so why not weighing RVs?? Hope it does not become widespread, since I would not care to spend part of my trip at any of these weigh stations.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:01 PM   #10
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

I am not in disagreement with the comments here. I have no idea why the state that required us to be weighed did so.

The way the system works is like this.

Then weight restrictions are 20,000 lbs on any load caring axel and 17,000 on the steering axel. The17, 000 lbs on the steering axel is not correct it is higher than that I just cant remember how much higher. These limits are to prevent damage to the roads. If you think about that then in order for the weight stations to determine if these light trucks are in any violation they would have to know what the vehicle and axel weight ratings are. This would be near impossible. They would have to have some one check the VIN. tag on the trailer and the door post on the truck.

Our rig weighs 23,100 lbs when we are traveling. That is only 3,000 lbs over the weight for one load carrying axel and we have 3!

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:28 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Our first trip to Texas was in our Keystone Sprinter TT, we were all over Texas, around Victoria we saw a weight station ahead, There wasn't much traffic on the road so I asked Sue if she thought they would mind weighing us? She said why not try..so I pulled in. This tall Texas highway patrol guy came out of the 'coop' Sue asked if we could weigh, he said "I reckon that will be OK", Sue got out and we lined the rig up. He was joking around with Sue and both were having a good time. I thought to myself that I loved Texas, and all the Texans in it.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:16 AM   #12
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
The state of Maryland has signs on I95 that say all vehicles over XXX (I think it was 5T). I have not pulled on the east coast so I did not have to stop. Saw a similar sign on I90 is South Dakota. Was still using the P/U at that time and did not stop. I was not chased down. This was in 2009.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:38 AM   #13
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
In the last three years we have driven through all lower 48 states except Mass., Conn., NH, RI, and Maine. Have never seen any signs for us enter a weigh station.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:34 AM   #14
jrhaman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6999
Maryland weigh stations are for commercial vehicles over 5t gvw. If you pulled into one with a rv you would probable get a ticket for failure to obey road signs.
jrhaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:06 AM   #15
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
http://www.mdot.maryland.gov/MMCP/FAQ.html#Q8

8. What vehicles must go through weigh stations in Maryland?

All vehicles with a gross vehicle weight or gross vehicle weight rating of greater than 10,000 pounds must stop at open weigh stations. Only vehicles that are operating in commerce will be subject to a safety inspection.

The difference is it says "All Vehicles". Not just trucks.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:51 AM   #16
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Coming down from Lincoln Nebraska on highway 77 there was a sign that says all trucks pulling trailers and motorhomes must stop when Weigh Station is open. Was coming back from a Nebraska football game a few years ago and had to stop there. Quick weight check, checked lights on the truck and trailer and a thanks for visiting NE and I was on my way. Have not seen another one like that anywhere else -- albeit, I did get pulled over in Colorado a few years ago. Was going from Limon to Colorado Springs and went past a weigh station. A few minutes later I was sitting on the side of the road explaining to the officer that I was not a commercial vehicle pulling a trailer for hire. Once I showed him my purchase order for the temporary tag on the trailer we were on our way. By the way, he told me the thing that caught his attention is that the three small lights directly under the tailgate where not lit up. (I had just had the bed and tailgate LineX'd a few days before and they had not hooked them back up for some reason. At the time of both of these instances I was driving a Dodge Ram 3500 DRW and pulling our Mountaineer.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:42 PM   #17
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
I live in North East Maryland and have traveled I-95 and have never stopped at a weigh station. Actually, we just went down I95 last month(March), using the Francis Scott Key Bridge and didn't stop any any of the weigh stations.

Didnt stop at any all the way down to Brunswick, GA. No one has chased me down, yet...
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:23 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We Are not Commercial so no. Now If we were pulling a camper for a dealer for delivery we would be commercial and would be required to stop. We did see a sign requiring all vehicles to pull into a weigh station. Onew time and I can not now remember which State it was but I think it was our home State of Ohio. It was really more a safety check than anything else and they checked our lights license/insurance did a walk around and waved us through
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:58 AM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We have never stopped at any of those open stations in Maryland and have never been questioned. My understanding is private vehicles are not required to stop anywhere in the United States. As you can see from our map we've been in a few states in the past 8 years. Someday maybe the laws will change but probably not until budgets will allow for staffing to handle that many more vehicles stopping at the stations.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote