Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2007, 07:22 AM   #1
DL N K
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2888
Question for the tire guys

Our 2005 3500RL has the LT235/85R16E Tacoma tires. Never had a problem with keeping pressure in them until lately. Back in Feb or so, had them broken down to put the high pressure valve stems in.
Now I've got one that will loose 15 to 20 psi in 10 every 10 to 14 days. Got out the soapy water spray bottle and found 2 leaks in the bead area. Interesting thing is it's leaking on both sides of the wheel in the same 2 areas. Took the tire to a local tire shop Sat. and they broke it down and put a bead sealer on the bead, and the thing still leaks. Not quite as bad, but it still leaks. What's my next option, am I looking at new tires or is there some other trick that might make this thing stop leaking. The tires are on aluminum wheels. Tire date codes are 4904, so they are not 3 years old yet, and have plenty of tread left.
2 others are leaking slightly, but not nearly as bad as this one.
Thanks

DL N K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:48 AM   #2
gjetzen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7542
Here is the problem, the place that "fixed" your tires only went half way. The main problem is most likely with the wheel. The aluminum wheels are clear coated to prevent corrosion but the clear coat is only a bandage. When the tires are mounted the clear coat is broken at the bead area. When the clear coat is broken the wheel will start to corrode and actually push the tire away from the rim causing it to leak. The proper fix is to dismount the tire from the rim and buff or grind all of the corrosion off then apply the bead sealer and remount the tire and fill to the proper air pressure. When done properly this should last until the tire is taken off the wheel ( for whatever reason), and then the process will need to be done again. Also never reuse a tire valve. Once the core has been taken out they can't be trusted to hold air, plus it is a cheap investment for peace of mind and overall safety.
gjetzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:21 AM   #3
DL N K
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2888
I understand how corrosion could do that, but I looked at the wheels myself, and the bead seal area is just as shinny and smooth as the day it was made. Thanks for the response. I'll remember this though in case I ever get one that has corrosion in that area of the wheel.
DL N K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:55 AM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I had the exact same problem with my Tacoma's mounted on aluminum wheels. After changing the valve stems, I kept loosing pressure (about a pound a day). Some tires were better than others, but all of them were affected. Tire dealer had them apart many, many times. One tire had a factory defect (one of the four embossed 16" identifiers located around the tire was in the bead area) which Montana replaced. The dealer used bead sealer with some success but not enough to completely stop the leaks. His final solution was the addition of a tire sealer (I don't remember the brand name, but it likely wasn't "Slime") and that did the trick. They held 80 lbs. for almost six months.

Carl (& Susan) Youngren

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:06 PM   #5
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
New valve stems may fix that leaking problem, although it sounds like you have a fix that is working.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:43 PM   #6
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Go with ALCOA aluminum wheels - not only will they not be subject to cracks, but they also accept metal valve stems which the Tredits do not. This will help tremendously. We are 5 months into our trip and have not lost a pound of air. I routinely check the air pressure, but there has been no change since April '07.

Prior to our changing out the wheels, we would lose 10 pounds of air in a week with the Keystone supplied Tredit wheels. JMO.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote