Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2007, 02:30 AM   #1
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Slide hydraulic leak

I was checking my battery in the front of my 3400 and I noticed hydraulic oil on the battery cover. I check my battery regularly and this is the first time I have seen this. I looked up at my tank and it is right at the line - with all slides open. The tray under the pump, though, had quite a bit of hydraulic oil in it and this is what was leaking down onto the battery cover.

I can see a drop of oil hanging from the back of my selector block. I tried to reach back and tighten all the hoses coming into the block and I couldn't budge them. All tight.

The dealership and I have been working on our kitchen slide over the last several weeks, so the selector knobs have been busy lately. I cannot see any continuous leak - probably have to run the kitchen slide in and out to see what's going on???

Any experience/advice?

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:43 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
You have been up early...
I would clean them real good, make everything squeaky clean, then activate one at a time and check for leaks, maybe in and out two or three times each slide. I know you would feel better if one were loose.
Good luck.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:49 AM   #3
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Ours has leaked since new. Been in the shop twice and I don't think it is fixed yet.(just picked it up last evening) IIRC, I believe from prior discussions the leaks can usually be attributed to a seal between the pump and reservoir. The leak on our unit is not bad. If they hadn't run those metal screws through the drip pan, a little kitty litter would suffice. I thought about just cleaning and sealing the screws and going ahead with the absorbent.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:28 AM   #4
harleyf250
Established Member

M.O.C. #7443
I have had my 08 3400 back 3 times for a hyd. leak there.. First time replaced a hose to the bed slide.. Second time tighten something.. and the third time they ordered me a new trailer because i have hade other issues also and i didnt even own it for two weeks
harleyf250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:52 PM   #5
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Mine leaks from the reservoir and pump connection. After getting it all cleaned up I find that a paper shop towel jammed in by the bottom of the pump/reservoir keeps it clean. I change the towel about every 10 days. It is damp but not sopping wet. The hydraulic slide system is on my list of what not to have on our next trailer in a few years.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:39 PM   #6
Eagle Man
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7430
Mine leaks off and on, without any particular pattern. I put two magic marker lines on the tank, one each to note where the fluid level is when the slides are out and in.
Eagle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:45 PM   #7
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
May I ask what parts of our units are made by old fashion craftsmen? Seems there is a lot of bragging about that.
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:57 PM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have at times a small amount of fluid that will appear on the top of the reservoir or on the shelf below the reservoir.We keep a paper towel folded under both places and it may be dry for weeks then perhaps a small amount of fluid will appear.Have never been able to find a leak of any kind and have no idea what might be the cause. We do use the selector knobs a lot as we keep the camper in the driveway and at times do not want all the slides out. I think it has something to do with using the selector knobs a lot but have no idea what???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 03:35 PM   #9
hawkeye
Established Member

M.O.C. #3663
My tank was leaking real bad so I removed the tank to replaced the o-ring, but I had no luck finding a new one, so I used a little waxed dental floss 5 or 6 wraps around the pump where the o-ring goes and put the o-ring back on and on more leak.
hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 03:59 PM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Hope Keystone does not read the post by hawkeye
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 06:25 PM   #11
Dave Nowlin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7253
Regarding the fluid leak from the selector valves. There is a brass fitting that screws into the valve body that the shaft for the knob comes out of. I don't know for sure but I would guess that there is valve stem packing of some sort behind the brass plug. If that is true, you should be able to slightly tighten the plug and stop the leak. It's much like an old time water valve that would leak around the valve stem. You could tighten it and stop the leak. If you tightened it too tight, it would seize the shaft and you couldn't turn the valve. I believe that assembly we have in our Montanas is supplied by Lippert. You could call them and verify if tightening that nut should be able to stop the leak.
Dave Nowlin
Dave Nowlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 02:39 AM   #12
hawkeye
Established Member

M.O.C. #3663
richaa, I just wanted to help someone who has a leaking tank. It's no big job. Anyone with a little mechanical ability
hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 02:50 AM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks for the tip, Hawkeye. Dave, I will check that fitting, but the leak seems to be coming off the back of the block somewhere. All tight there. It would really be nice if this was in an easier position to work on. Trying to hold a flashlight and work up and around the mechanisms in the front compartment with my two bad shoulders is not my idea of fun. Almost as much fun as laying underneath the Montana, dropping panels... almost.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:41 AM   #14
Dave Nowlin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7253
What do you want to drop the panels for? Hang on to them, you might hurt yourself.
Dave Nowlin
Dave Nowlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 06:38 AM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Well, I am kind of a klutz...