Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2007, 01:09 PM   #1
Todger
Established Member

M.O.C. #6782
Sat Dish

Looking at the 3400 and would like to have a roof mounted Sat. dish. My Lance TC has the crankup with the antenna and it works great. Would like something similar or an domes dish. The local dealers shop has never done a roof dish on a 5er. Anyone have a roof dish? How was it installed.

Montana Sat ready means there is a cable connection on the outside of the coach. Now the Lance sat ready had coax run to the roof for a sat dish.

Todger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 02:08 PM   #2
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
They run R6 from the convenience centre to the main TV. I had my dealer run a separate cable to the bedroom TV for satellite. Camping World does install dishes
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 02:32 PM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
We installed the Winegard dome with dual LNB cables. The dome is located on the roof above the hall area between the kitchen and hall vents. We ran the cables down the wall by the washer and dryer, into the belly, then up into the entertainment slide.

I heard Keystone is installing roof mount sat on the Big Sky. It should only be a matter of time before it shows up as an option with Montana. I would keep asking (unfortunately your Dealer will most likely be the last to know).
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 04:41 PM   #4
jpf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3393
We had CW install a "Movin View" dome Sat on our 3400 just prior to going out fulltiming almost two years ago. Works great, no fuss, turn it on once connected to Park power and it finds our service (DirecTV).
Have only had one occasion where we could not get Sat due to trees, but, we mostly try for pull thru sites with few trees. (Sometimes hard to find in the New England area)
We are, though, VERY conscious of our overall height. CW and I both measured it at 13'4" to the top of the dome.
We sort of cringe at 13'11 highway signs and once had to pass under a 13'7" bridge on a secondary road. No problems, but you still have to wonder if the signs are accurate or if they've added inches to the road during resurfacing.
jpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 07:19 AM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I was wondering how often the mounted dishes were a problem. I often see dishes setting on the ground 15' to 20' from the RV just so they could find an opening thru the trees.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 07:29 AM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
BB TX -

I will start to keep the ground dish as PLAN B. This last trip out was the first time I actually ran into a problem with reception on our dome as a result of trees. At one location I did not pick up anything, and at another I could only get one satellite. For trips into the unknown I think I will bring our old portable dish (almost gave it away )
Old 08-03-2007, 09:16 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are now in a C'G in Northwestern Ohio and dome or ground dish there is no signal. There is a wall of trees between everyone and the sat....any of them..It happens.. The dome is on our wish list.We have found in our travels around the country that perhaps 10% of the time the dome would have been useless. If we can get a "clear view of the Southern sky" we can have the portable set up in 10 mins. The most time consuming part of setting up the portable dish moving around the country is looking up the Az and elevation.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:26 AM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Rich - you are right. Way too much time dedicated to setting up the portable. Dory and I called it the "Divorce Dish" figuring that was the only time we ever yelled at each other. Sometimes I never found the satellite at all.

Vowed this time I would get rid of the Divorce Dish and we were both grinning the other day when I pushed the green switch on the wall and heard that thing whir on the roof and lock in! I told her life is much better now because while the satellite is running "check switch", I have time to run outside to the Perrier ice maker and make us both a Bloody Mary!!

[IMAGE]http://www.emotihost.com/glass/10.gif[/IMAGE]
Old 08-03-2007, 10:18 AM   #9
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Does Winguard have a roof mounted dish that will get HDTV?? We are using Direct-Tv with the 5 LNB dish and have front and rear HDTV. We are moving into our stick house and Direct-Tv is bring out a new system for the stick house. The tri-pod mounted HDTV with the 5 LNB is lots more cumbersome however we have been using it since last Nov. and used it on our last 7,000 mile trip. But I think we will go for a roof mounted Satellite system for our Computer. They are expensive, but lot easier that the tri-pod mount system. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:33 AM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
The Winegaurd roof mounts are HDTV

http://www.winegard.com/mobile/pdf/p..._Interface.pdf

A little more expensive for Direct TV than our DishNetwork due to the format they use, but do-able.

Old 08-03-2007, 04:58 PM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Positioning of the satellite dish is the most important item in reception. In all our years of full timing east to west and north to south we have never been denied a signal. We have DirecTV and use a dish mounted on a 2X6 sitting on the ground. This method always allows me to move the dish up to 125 feet away and still get a signal, though I have never had to move it that far. We've been parked right up against a 60 foot high bluff (near Lake Tahoe, CA) and still was able to get the signal. I had the opportunity to get the roof mounted dome free and turned it down simply because when I worked on them for others there was always some problem caused by the close proximity of trees, waving tree limbs, electrical transmission lines, etc. So I went the really cheap way and have been very happy with it. Takes me less than five minutes to set up.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote