Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2007, 08:08 AM   #1
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Need help about waxing

This is the first time that we have waxed the Monty since we bought it. We bought a product called Protect All from CW to do the job. Yesterday I bought a hand waxer from Sears. We have applied the Protect All to the Gelcap and are getting streaking and places it isn't buffing. I called Camping World to find out if we are using to much wax and the guy said that we may have burned the gelcap with the buffer. He said the Monty had to be hand waxed and buffed.

Please tell me I haven't screwed up my gelcap......Has anyone used a hand buffer to wax there Monty?

Colleen

Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 08:46 AM   #2
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
I have done all of my campers by hand. Lot of work but no burning. It is a art to buff with out burning. You buff wax and not protect-all. If I read your post did you a liquid or hard wax? I would contact a marine dealer and get there opinion and hopefully a fix. Good luck.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 08:54 AM   #3
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Protect All is a liquid wax. I used a squirt bottle to apply the wax in several places on the gelcap. Applying it with the buffer pad that is used for the wax application. Then we came back with the buff pad that is supposed to be used and then the final buffing pad to gain the shine.

Colleen
Old 07-14-2007, 09:38 AM   #4
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Didn't think Protect All had to be buffed off. I use a buffer and Mothers wax.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 10:00 AM   #5
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Bigmurf,

The directions read apply and then wipe off with another cloth. We are just using the buffing pad as the second cloth.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:03 PM   #6
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
You may want to try some rubbing compound and hand buff. Power buffers take a very light touch.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 02:43 PM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I've never used Protect All for that reason. What I have used with good success is a product called Dri Wash 'n Guard. Started using it when I ran into a lot of situations were vehicle washing was not allowed. This product allows you to wash and wax your vehicle without water. Another product I've used with good success is The Solution, another product to be used when you can't use water to wash your vehicle. Both products have wax in them.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 02:51 PM   #8
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
I bought some Protect All (at WalMart) based on Wrenchtraveller's recommendation. If you follow the directions on the container it does fine.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 03:41 PM   #9
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Is it streaking as in running downward Like paint would run? If so use a new cloth a wipe again. I have used this product for two years roof side front back and all rubber, and like it!
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:36 AM   #10
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
I think I found out the problem. We have hard water that leaves a film on everything. We had the hose attached to the softner, but Bob washed the roof and then I started on the body of the RV. I think we just ran out of soft water and the haze and streaking we are seeing is because of the lime deposit in the dried water on the RV. Still have about 1/3 of the Monty to polish..... this is when I wish I owned a popup trailer.

We leave for Tennessee on a three week trip on Wednesday. I want to make sure that the Monty is all clean when she travels down the road

Thanks for the information about the waxes that you can use when you can't wash by hand.

Colleen