Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2007, 04:33 AM   #1
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Rust Problems

We spent some time near the TX coast, and our white spoke wheels started showing rust in three months. I complained to my dealer and asked for new wheels. The service manager told me Keystone says no new wheels. I pulled the spare from under the trailer, sanded and primed and painted it all the time getting more agitated at the lack of quality in the wheels. I put painting the others on hold, and will decide what will be my next move. I find no exclusion in the warranty for wheels. You would think they would be painted well enough to make it through the warranty period. BTW, I checked the cylinder rod on the livingroom slide the other day. You guessed it; the chrome is peeling off it also. Just a matter of time until it wipes out the packing and I have a hydraulic leak (make that another leak, as the pump reservoir already leaks). If you spent time near the coast, you might want to look at any exposed cylinders.

SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:52 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Salt is hard on everything.. We live in a heavy snow area and during the winter tons of salt is used on the roads. It even pits the concrete in our driveway and does havoc to chrome bumbers and wheels. On our previous camper I redid the white steel wheels 3 or 4 times over a 10 year period.By contrast we spent the winter months away from snow and salt and our 3400 white steel wheel are like new.not a speck of rust.We did NOT order the "cost effective" OEM chrome wheels on our 3400 as they will rust and discolor standing still.We see them on campers every day and there is no restoring them at least with steel wheels you can bring them back to life.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:56 AM   #3
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Rich said it all. Wife would like to camp along the ocean but I told her not with this camper. Might do it if trading it off right after. Salt is in the air at all times along the coasts. I am quite sure we will hear from OZZ on this one.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote