Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2007, 04:01 AM   #1
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Wiring is hanging down under slide

I know this has been discussed before, but I don't have time to do a search. I went into archives and didn't find it as not enough time to search.

The plastic bracket that snaps did so on our 3400 desk slide. It is hanging under the slide. We have to take the Monty in for some other problems and have the second AC installed.

Has anyone driven theirs to the dealership with it hanging down under the FW? The dealership is about 45 miles from us.

I know some of you have used, I think a piano hinge for the fix?

Could someone post that link so I can show hubby.

We are still in the process of moving so this really isn't a good time for this....

Thanks guys and gals.

Colleen

Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 05:22 AM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I think I remember that the person who had the problem fixed it by using a gate hinge. Sort of the same idea as a piano hinge. Wish I could remember who posted but CRS is getting worse by the day! If it is still under warranty simply use a bungee to hold it up and have them fix it at dealer!

Good luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 06:01 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Yes, many of us used metal hinges to repair the factory heapie cheapie plastic hinge, I also would have the dealer fix it-(If they could do it quickly, I would hate to have the Monte sit there for two weeks just waiting on a part.)
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:46 AM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
The hinge looks like the best fix. I would put them on now but you really can't until it breaks, unless you cut the strap.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:59 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We check ours on the 3400 every time we work the slides and ours show no signs of problems ..however we looked at a new 3500 at a recent rally and it was already broken...Mobile suites by Doubletree have the same setup with the same problem???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 01:42 PM   #6
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
We have had the Montana out a sum total of 5 times since we bought it. We aren't talking about alot of times that the slides have been in and out. Each time we took it out it was just for weekends, since hubby didn't take it out for a hurricane this past season.

He doesn't read the boards.... I wish he did, he would benifit alot more than I do reading all of this wonderful information.

So does the dealership just put back the same junk that was there before?

Does anyone have pictures of what they did to fix it themselves? I am so tired I am about ready to drop. Six weeks of trying to get moved out of our house to the other one, plus still running a full time business during Spring Break has me in the over drive mode. Unfortunately I think the transmisson is going out on this body....and I know the back (frame) is definitely shot.

Thanks for any pictures to show hubby....

Colleen
Old 04-05-2007, 02:44 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I bought standard hinges with good intent to install them before the wire looms break. The hinges are still in the basement and we've not yet broken a loom. Hopefully I'll get them installed soon.

Colleen, if your husband looks at the loom he will be able to tell where the hinge needs to go. On the broken one it's obvious. On unbroken ones it's at the point where the loom flexes when the slide moves.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 03:08 PM   #8
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Here you go I found it on the mane page of the forum

http://www.geocities.com/montanaowne...reSupport.html
Old 04-06-2007, 02:50 AM   #9
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
You guys are the best, thanks for all of the information. This moving stuff is an adventure.

Here's hoping nothing else goes wrong until we can get settled in. Hubby is taking the Montana over to the dealership next Tuesday.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:43 AM   #10
dmr1021
Established Member

M.O.C. #5682
We are currently at Keystone getting those plastic supports replaced...I kept the wiring up with bungie cords. After we pulled in the slides, I would reach under the slide and prop the curved plastic strip on the inside lip of the under cowling. This worked for over 6ooo miles.

-Dave
dmr1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 01:40 PM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
And what was the fix?????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:06 AM   #12
jrjones
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4858
The only one on mine that didn't break was the bedroom. The new ones don't bend like the broken ones they bolt up flat. They took that lousy bend out of it. Now there is no place that can break. Well not that I can see.
jrjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:00 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jrjones

The new ones don't bend like the broken ones they bolt up flat. They took that lousy bend out of it. Now there is no place that can break. Well not that I can see.
I'll be darned. And here I thought the day might get away without me learning something new. I just went out and looked at ours and, sure enough, there is just a curve. No serious bending. So now I guess I have a set of hinges I'd sell cheap.

Thanks for that information, jrjones!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:44 PM   #14
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
We have a 2007 3650RK purchased in July 2006. We have been out 3 times, plus numerous times of the slides in & out. Just noticed a few weeks ago the flat part bolted to the outside frame of the livingroom slide is split about halfway. Out of warranty - the hinge is a very good solution. However, ours is still in warranty. I WILL be taken it in for service and a few other repairs.

Jrjones, what did they do? Did they put a pin on both ends of the support so there is nothing to bend? When I saw mine starting to split where it bolts to the frame and the other end with a pin/swivel, I thought to myself, why didn't they put a pin on both ends. Then maybe it wouldn't break. DAH! ! !
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 05:16 AM   #15
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
My thoughts exactly Don - pin both sides. Oh well, that might put the hinge folks out of business.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote